MKJoshA

May the 4th Contest - 2022

It's a bit late to be asking this, but is the winner for each category determined by their single best entry or the sum of their entries in the category? Like if I made two purist minifigure entries and one scores 15/30 and the other score 16/30, would I do better than someone who submitted one purist minifigure entry with a score of 30/30?

One more entry in! Each category was such a different experience, wish I had time for the starfighter one too.

8 hours ago, CrappyMocMaker said:

It's a bit late to be asking this, but is the winner for each category determined by their single best entry or the sum of their entries in the category? Like if I made two purist minifigure entries and one scores 15/30 and the other score 16/30, would I do better than someone who submitted one purist minifigure entry with a score of 30/30?

I'm pretty sure it's the best entry, because otherwise you could spam low-effort entries and just win off having a ton of 4-5/30s. Would work out pretty well for me if it was sum of entries, because my four "meh" entries for purist minifigures would overwhelm other users with just one, actually good purist minifigure entry. :laugh:

Actually didn't you post like 10 12x12 vignettes? Many of those are very strong contenders for 1st place on their own, but if it is the sum you're guaranteed that spot!

Also...oh no. I completely forgot about the criteria....I think I have just two entries that tell stories "on their own" without the walls of text I wrote in the descriptions.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I'm pretty sure it's the best entry, because otherwise you could spam low-effort entries and just win off having a ton of 4-5/30s. Would work out pretty well for me if it was sum of entries, because my four "meh" entries for purist minifigures would overwhelm other users with just one, actually good purist minifigure entry. :laugh:

Actually didn't you post like 10 12x12 vignettes? Many of those are very strong contenders for 1st place on their own, but if it is the sum you're guaranteed that spot!

Also...oh no. I completely forgot about the criteria....I think I have just two entries that tell stories "on their own" without the walls of text I wrote in the descriptions.

Yeah it didn't state it in the rules, so I just wanted to check. I'd feel pretty bad if I won the vignette category that way because like four of them are pretty low effort.

Edited by CrappyMocMaker

10 hours ago, CrappyMocMaker said:

Yeah it didn't state it in the rules, so I just wanted to check. I'd feel pretty bad if I won the vignette category that way because like four of them are pretty low effort.

I wouldn't say low-effort (though I guess you'd be the only person to know), it's actually kind of cool to look at all of them and see how your build style evolves. You've got some really strong ones, too, like the Profundity bridge, death star firing chamber, etc. The mini scarif one is one of my personal favorites as most people have done minifig scale, so it was nice to see a microscale.

One of my purist minifigure entries is literally just a TF2 reference I made as a joke for a friend of mine, so if the 2-3 points from that caused me to win I think I'd have to disqualify myself!

4 hours ago, Ephseb said:

my entry!

And at the last second, the K-wing swoops in to take the gold. That thing is absolutely massive, and is pretty spot-on to the legends ship.

2 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I wouldn't say low-effort (though I guess you'd be the only person to know), it's actually kind of cool to look at all of them and see how your build style evolves. You've got some really strong ones, too, like the Profundity bridge, death star firing chamber, etc. The mini scarif one is one of my personal favorites as most people have done minifig scale, so it was nice to see a microscale.

One of my purist minifigure entries is literally just a TF2 reference I made as a joke for a friend of mine, so if the 2-3 points from that caused me to win I think I'd have to disqualify myself!

And at the last second, the K-wing swoops in to take the gold. That thing is absolutely massive, and is pretty spot-on to the legends ship.

thanks for the high praise 🥺

I had to take it apart due to structural issues (I was afraid the plates would be damaged by the strain eventually) and I want to build a new smaller, more stable one some time in the future.

13 hours ago, Ephseb said:

thanks for the high praise 🥺

For that ship, it's well-deserved.

I was struck by inspiration about an hour ago and managed to squeeze out a final, comical entry:

14 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Thanks! Your entries are cool too!

Hello all,

These are my entries for the contest:

Hope you like them!

Edited by dvogon

And the contest is now closed! Fantastic work everyone. We'll start judging this weekend.

On 6/29/2022 at 2:32 PM, CrappyMocMaker said:

It's based on the single best entry. Good question. We'll have to clarify that for next year.

1 hour ago, MKJoshA said:

And the contest is now closed! Fantastic work everyone. We'll start judging this weekend.

It's based on the single best entry. Good question. We'll have to clarify that for next year.

I’m guessing the Grand Admiral winner will be determined in a similar way? It’s a sum of the scores of only the entrant’s best entry in each category?

Great entries everyone! Looking forward to the results. 

6 hours ago, Oky said:

I’m guessing the Grand Admiral winner will be determined in a similar way? It’s a sum of the scores of only the entrant’s best entry in each category?

Great entries everyone! Looking forward to the results. 

Yes, top entries from each category. Not a sum of all entries.

Just an update that judging is about half way done. 2 of our 4 judges have all their scores in and the other 2 are in process. We should have results by the end of next week!

10 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

Winners have been announced!

did my K-Wing get any votes? It wasn't disqualified for technically having 3 seats, was it?

Edited by Ephseb

12 hours ago, Ephseb said:

did my K-Wing get any votes? It wasn't disqualified for technically having 3 seats, was it?

Your K-Wing did well finishing 6th place in the Fighter category. It was just up against a lot of stiff competition! It scored the lowest in Storytelling. That was a tough metric for most builders this competition. Your K-Wing was beautiful, but it didn't tell much of a story.

I don't think any contestant's entry for the fighter category had much in the way of storytelling. It's a single fighter with no context after all, so that's not something I'd hold against anyone.

When looking at all the other fantastic builds in all the categories, it's pretty obvious to me that my building abilities are way too far behind most people on here to compete, so I'm gonna stop entering contests and just pop up with a build for "Mysteries" now and then.

Might change my mind if there's ever a TIE variant contest, I've got a TIE Avenger on backlog that I'd call my best ever MOC with some certainty.

Cheers and again congrats to the winners, I'm still blown away by your creativity and abilites!

18 hours ago, Ephseb said:

I don't think any contestant's entry for the fighter category had much in the way of storytelling. It's a single fighter with no context after all, so that's not something I'd hold against anyone.

When looking at all the other fantastic builds in all the categories, it's pretty obvious to me that my building abilities are way too far behind most people on here to compete, so I'm gonna stop entering contests and just pop up with a build for "Mysteries" now and then.

Might change my mind if there's ever a TIE variant contest, I've got a TIE Avenger on backlog that I'd call my best ever MOC with some certainty.

Cheers and again congrats to the winners, I'm still blown away by your creativity and abilites!

I wouldn't give up. We had a wide range of winners from long-term builders to new ones. I'd say just keep building and learning! For storytelling it's not about writing a description, it's about whether your build tells a story through the Lego and draws you into it. One thing you can do to add story is include battle damage or a variant paint job. Those kinds of details draw the viewer into your MOC and make them want to know more.