MKJoshA

May the 4th Contest - 2022

800x328.jpg

May the 4th be with you. Welcome to Eurobrick's annual Star Wars contest!
This year we're expanding our categories and prizes. So you have lots of ways to participate, and lots of ways to win!

blogicon.pngblogicon.pngblogicon.png     blogicon.pngblogicon.pngblogicon.png     blogicon.pngblogicon.pngblogicon.png

General Rules
The contest runs May 2nd through June 30th. As long as it's still June 30th somewhere in the world, you can still enter.
All entries must be new builds not shown online or publicly before May 1st 2022.
Only official LEGO elements should be used. Avoid third party parts or clone bricks. Digital entries will be allowed. All digital entries must use only existing pieces in existing colors.

Entries may be updated as long as the contest is still open.
All entries must be posted as a new topic in the Watto’s Junkyard forum with the title prefixed by, "[M4-22 - category] - entry name". (For example, "[M4-22 - 12x12 Vignette] – Sarlacc Pit".)
You may do a 'full-blown photo edit' with all the text, effects, background compositing, support erasing, and other effects on one picture. All your other pictures may have no editing other than color adjustment or background removal for a solid-color background. For obvious reasons, any photo editing that changes the shape, functionality, or color (not tint or adjustment, but actual color) of a LEGO piece is prohibited. It is also prohibited to use the Lego logo in any picture.

The only size restriction is the 12x12 Vignette category. All other categories can be any size or scale.
As this is a Star Wars contest all entries need to be Star Wars related.
A link should be included in this thread to ensure your entry is counted.
This contest is open to all EB members, even if they joined EB after the contest has begun, with the exception of the Star Wars staff, who are not eligible to win prizes.
Each contestant can only win 1 category prize and 1 individual prize, if multiple categories are won by the same contestant, he/she chooses which prize to receive and the other prizes will be awarded to the runner ups.

You can use this stamp on your photos if you'd like:
400x160.png

blogicon.pngblogicon.pngblogicon.png     blogicon.pngblogicon.pngblogicon.png     blogicon.pngblogicon.pngblogicon.png

Judging Method
There will be a team judges who will score builds based on the following criteria: Category: Pass/Fail Does your build fit the category?
Majority vote of the judges decides pass/fail if the vote isn't unanimous.

Storytelling ?/10
Does your build communicate a story all on it's own?

Aesthetics ?/10
Detailing, build composition, and visual impact.

Technical Ability ?/10
How well you use building techniques. SNOT, NPU, and movement are all elements of this category.

Final Score: ?/30

Individual Awards
Grand Admiral: awarded to the competitor with the highest total score combined from all entered categories. To win the Grand Admiral prize you must enter at least 3 categories.

Categories
12x12 Vignette - Film Scene Recreation
Recreate any scene from the films or shows within a 12x12 space. Any scale is acceptable. Border is included in the 12x12 size limit, so if you want to include a border, the whole build still needs to fit on 12x12 studs.

Example:
49863790156_98756b572d_w.jpg

Purist Minifigures
Create 5 purist Star Wars minifigures. These minifigures should be related to each other somehow. They should have a matching color scheme, all work in the same industry, or have something else that ties them together. Background builds are allowed. But the judging will be based on the minifigures. *rule addition: You can include up to one brick-built droid as a character*

Example:
51871574531_ae68ce70ed_w.jpg

Brick Built Creature
Any creature from the Star Wars universe in any scale is allowed. The only rule is that it needs to be brick built.

Example:
50730284038_013df5641f_w.jpg

Alphabet Fighter
Create a SW fighter that resembles a letter of the alphabet. Can be an existing letter like A-Wing or X-Wing though creativity is encouraged. *rule addition: Your ship should hold no more than 2 beings. A slotted astromech does not count toward this limit.*

Example:
50594927552_57b5758c39_w.jpg

Prizes
12x12 Vignette- Film Scene Recreation
- First place wins Imperial Armored Marauder:
75311-1.png

- Second place wins a custom figure from @MKJoshA
320x484.JPG

Purist Minifigures
- First place wins Luke Skywalker's X-Wing:
75301-1.png

- Second place wins a custom figure from @MKJoshA
320x443.JPG

Brick Built Creature
- First place wins a set or sets with an equivalent value up to 100 Euro as their prize like:
75326-1.png
- Second place wins one set with an equivalent value up to 40 Euro as their prize like:
75342-1.png

Alphabet Fighter
- First place wins a set or sets with an equivalent value up to 160 Euro as their prize like:
75288-1.png
- Second place wins a set with an equivalent value up to 70 Euro as their prize like:
75302-1.png

Grand Admiral
- A set or sets with an equivalent value up to 200 Euro as their prize like:
74445_Landspeeder%201_202204262247.jpg

Fine Print

• By entering, you consent to Eurobricks reposting your entry on Eurobricks' social media channels, crediting you.
  • 1st place in the Vignette and Minifigure categories can choose the custom minifigure as their prize instead. If this happens 2nd place will win the set.
  • Prizes supplied by EB staff are not exchangeable for other sets or prizes. Prizes with a EUR amount are supplied by TLG and are subject to the rules below.
  • Prize values are determined in accordance with German Shop at Home and prizes are subject to availability on the Shop at Home in the winners' local countries. Some back and forth with Eurobricks staff might be required to select an available prize.
  • Prizes could take 8-10 weeks to arrive but we will keep you updated as much as we are able.

Begun it has! :sweet: And what great prizes! The themes aren’t as unique as last year, but that just makes this feel like a classic contest. Definitely gonna try to enter a few of these categories. Grand Admiral Oky would have a nice ring to it. :grin:

One question: Can the minifigures be of made-up characters? Also, do brick-built droids count?

3 hours ago, Oky said:

Begun it has! :sweet: And what great prizes! The themes aren’t as unique as last year, but that just makes this feel like a classic contest. Definitely gonna try to enter a few of these categories. Grand Admiral Oky would have a nice ring to it. :grin:

One question: Can the minifigures be of made-up characters? Also, do brick-built droids count?

And the prizes just got better! I've updated the list with even more sets to win.

Minifigures can be of made-up characters or aliens that Lego has not produced yet. However, aliens should already exist within the SW universe. A brick-built droid would count as 1 of the 5 figures.

The time has come for my K-Wing to shine! I've never uploaded pics anywhere, just in the hopes of it being eligible for a new EB contest!

And I have like 40 purist custom figures! Will definitely enter in that category as well!

In the fighter categori - can you make a larger ship? Like a heavy bomber with both pilot, bomber and gunner? Or is it strictly one man fighters?

/Jon

2 hours ago, Horsleben said:

In the fighter categori - can you make a larger ship? Like a heavy bomber with both pilot, bomber and gunner? Or is it strictly one man fighters?

/Jon

Good question. I'm going to say that it should hold no more than 2 "beings." So an astromech slotted in somewhere would NOT count toward the 2 person cap.

1 hour ago, MKJoshA said:

Good question. I'm going to say that it should hold no more than 2 "beings." So an astromech slotted in somewhere would NOT count toward the 2 person cap.

So 2 humanoids and a droid would be good?

9 minutes ago, Horsleben said:

So 2 humanoids and a droid would be good?

As long as the droid is an astromech of some kind. A protocol droid would count towards the limit.

18 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

And the prizes just got better! I've updated the list with even more sets to win.

Minifigures can be of made-up characters or aliens that Lego has not produced yet. However, aliens should already exist within the SW universe. A brick-built droid would count as 1 of the 5 figures.

*oh2*

Makes sense, thanks!

1 hour ago, MKJoshA said:

Good question indeed. The U-Wing really pushed the limits of how big an alphabet fighter could be. That thing was a whole gunship! Seems fair to limit it to 2 pilots and an astromech though. 

48 minutes ago, Oky said:

Good question indeed. The U-Wing really pushed the limits of how big an alphabet fighter could be. That thing was a whole gunship! Seems fair to limit it to 2 pilots and an astromech though. 

Yeah, it just seems good to have a limit. I'd love to see a U shaped fighter that's not the tradition U-Wing from someone though.

I posted an early draft of a digital model of a certain made-up alphabet fighter to Flickr in January 2019, but when I actually built it in October or November 2021 it turned out with almost entirely different colors and with an almost entirely different build, although the shape and size remain the same.  I haven't posted pictures of the physical build to Flickr.  Is it eligible for this contest?  I'm sure it won't win; it's very small and simple.  But it might be fun to enter it anyway.

Edited by icm

2 hours ago, icm said:

I posted an early draft of a digital model of a certain made-up alphabet fighter to Flickr in January 2019, but when I actually built it in October or November 2021 it turned out with almost entirely different colors and with an almost entirely different build, although the shape and size remain the same.  I haven't posted pictures of the physical build to Flickr.  Is it eligible for this contest?  I'm sure it won't win; it's very small and simple.  But it might be fun to enter it anyway.

Sounds like the model has changed enough for you to enter it. Go for it!

8 hours ago, CrappyMocMaker said:

Hi, kind of a dumb question but can I use paper to make capes that exist in lego form but I don't own?

Nothing dumb about it! This preference is for you to use all standard Lego pieces. But you're not going to get disqualified if you have custom capes or even a clone brand gun or two. But the idea is to create with Lego. As long as your MOC captures the essence of that rule you'll be fine.

10 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

Nothing dumb about it! This preference is for you to use all standard Lego pieces. But you're not going to get disqualified if you have custom capes or even a clone brand gun or two. But the idea is to create with Lego. As long as your MOC captures the essence of that rule you'll be fine.

Great, thanks!

I'm pretty excited for this, I get off school (for good) next week, and I've already started some of the smaller ones (I've already posted the minifigures, too). I'm probably just failing to see where it says this, but are we allowed to submit multiple entries for the same category? Like, say there's a totally hypothetical scenario where I have concepts for a riskier, gimmicky letter-wing fighter as well as a more standard one. Would I be able to submit both, or no?

Edited by Mandalorianknight

13 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I'm pretty excited for this, I get off school (for good) next week, and I've already started some of the smaller ones (I've already posted the minifigures, too). I'm probably just failing to see where it says this, but are we allowed to submit multiple entries for the same category? Like, say there's a totally hypothetical scenario where I have concepts for a riskier, gimmicky letter-wing fighter as well as a more standard one. Would I be able to submit both, or no?

You know, I forgot to add that to the rules.

Official rule will be that you can enter as many times as you'd like in each category.

1 hour ago, Artizan said:

Is there any allowance of overhang for the vignette category?

Minimal overhang would be allowed. Just don't abuse it :pir-yoda:

Does a bigfig like rancor or wampa  add to the character limit if a minifigure is riding it in the purist minifigures category? Like can I have five minifigures and one of them is riding a bigfig? 

1 minute ago, Danny_Boy4 said:

Does a bigfig like rancor or wampa  add to the character limit if a minifigure is riding it in the purist minifigures category? Like can I have five minifigures and one of them is riding a bigfig? 

A bigfig would not count as a minifigure nor would it take away from your limit of 5. It would be treated like background material. So you can have 5 figures and one of them can be riding a Rancor. The same as someone with 5 figures posed on a MOC. You won't be judged on the MOC or the Rancor, but if it helps sell your characters it can be a good thing.

Some great entries so far!

For anyone looking to join Eurobricks to enter this contest we've had a hang-up on new registrations. All should be cleared now and if you asked to join the forum you should be good to go. If you have any issues please send me a message on Flickr or Instagram.

Hello. Question for the MODs: would you allow a star ship entry based on the Aurebesh Alphabet found in Star Wars or should we only stick with the English Alphabet? Thanks.