Hello!

I am usually a stalker on this forum, but I decided to break my cycle of working with no external help for a little project of mine. The vehicle I am working on is a Hägglunds Bandvagn 206.

techSpec_banner.jpg

This is my source for the dimensions of the model. which with lego threads being 5 studs wide, it happens to be 1:10.

Here are some photos of the main components - front and side views of the front module, the drive and steering mechanisms: 

https://bricksafe.com/pages/cokoboko1/bandvagn-206wip
Studio .io file is also included in the link above if you wanna take a closer look.

I plan to use Buwizz 3.0 and put it in the back module(which is not really started)
IMG20220502131543.jpg

So I have three main questions:

Is there a better way to do the steering mechanism that's compact? The way I have it right now acts as a vertical swivel connecting the modules as in the real vehicle. I looked at Sariel's Lego Technic RC GAZ 3351 Articulated Tracked Vehicle but it looks way too long to fit in the first module. 

What color should I do the seats/interior in? I mainly have black and red as my theme, but I'm not sure if it's nice-looking.

Are there any recommendations for the body or something else you see?

Edited by cokobo
Make title more accurate

It would be good, that those linear actuators could move sideways. Yes it could work, as they have pretty good play, they are not stiff.

5 minutes ago, Jurss said:

It would be good, that those linear actuators could move sideways. Yes it could work, as they have pretty good play, they are not stiff.

Hey, thanks for the comment. I noticed that too but it gets as bad as this:

IMG20220502140333.jpg

Do you think it will be a problem long term? I didn't think it would matter since the gear in the actuator slips and it cannot rip it off or something :D

I think they would be better off oriented at  a 90° offset, so the forked end is vertical. That way the LA can pivot to accommodate the extension. Looking forward to seeing this finished, thanks for showing us your progress.

1 hour ago, Johnny1360 said:

I think they would be better off oriented at  a 90° offset, so the forked end is vertical. That way the LA can pivot to accommodate the extension. Looking forward to seeing this finished, thanks for showing us your progress.

Hello, thanks for the feedback. That solution already exists in Sariel's video. Ideally, I would want both attachment points of the connector unit between the modules to be vertically movable. And doing it that way pushes the pivot to the middle of the connector.

Here is the thing I'm going for 

msmtnpun.jpg

It won't be more compact, but you could use technic links in the joint for better articulation and hide the linear actuator inside the vehicle.

Also looks like you are not planning to have a drivetrain running trough the joint like the real thing?

teka_10.jpg

1 hour ago, pleegwat said:

How about a displaced lever, like in 42114? Step 228 on page 143 shows a decent view.

Wow, that's amazing with some links it might fit in the rear half of the front perfectly, I will need to do some research for it. Thank you!

28 minutes ago, Heppu said:

It won't be more compact, but you could use technic links in the joint for better articulation and hide the linear actuator inside the vehicle.

Also looks like you are not planning to have a drivetrain running trough the joint like the real thing?

teka_10.jpg

Hello, I really like the design you shared! Well with my current steering option it will be very hard to fit a driveshaft in there. I think the extra power from two motors in each module and not sacrificing the interior too much is too good to pass up. The XL Motors are also a key part of my structure for the build also.

Edited by cokobo
fix typo

Here is a small test. It's kind of easy to flip backwards or sideways still but I will work on that. Also on very high traction surfaces it has troubles steering :(

Hello,

sorry that I'm self-bumping my thread but I want to share a very important update on the vehicle.

I fixed two main problems, tilting too much on one side and tilting too much forward/backward.

Here is another test video, on a much steeper hill (about two times the model' height).

If you have any feedback, please share it with me so I can improve it further!

Hello everyone,

I am very close to finishing the model and currently, I'm working on finalizing it in Studio.
Here are some photos of the model with Technic Figures:

IMG20220606124907.jpg

IMG20220606125922.jpg

IMG20220606130346.jpg

Techfigs make a good model even better! :sweet:

Also looks like it's working quite nice. :thumbup: