Sign in to follow this  
Spud The Viking

[GoC] The Covenanter - 28-gun New Terraman

52042358364_d6e12a2bd7_c.jpg

As Spudkirk was the centre of activity for Corrington these days, it was not uncommon to see larger ships come and go from the various harbours.

However, one vessel caught the eye of many when it sailed towards the cliffside settlement. The Covenanter

A recently constructed New Terraman ready for transporting vast quantities of goods while offering decent armament, 28 guns to be precise. Although, it was often common to have the lower rear gun port without a gun to allow an extra way of loading cargo. 

She was ready to carry troops, supplies, and valuable goods across the seas.

More pictures:

Spoiler

52041063552_3a9949cbbc_c.jpg

52042159643_3cf95da443_c.jpg

52041061092_8900f1092f_c.jpg

52042161353_13d63f24eb_c.jpg

52042104961_e06252fe37_c.jpg

Higher resolution pics on my Flickr

More information:

Spoiler

Well, here she is. I started her as a distraction to my final year dissertation around 1.5 years ago, and she is named after that dissertation's topic. I also really loved a topic I studied focused on the rise of the English/British Empire in East Asia, in which East Indiamen played a key role.

Based on the East Indiaman Falmouth, with a colour scheme from another Indiaman.

She is not perfect, and I am sure to expert there are glaring flaws, but I am happy with her, and glad she is finally done and photographed.

I'm guessing she will be a class 8, but I am not really sure how shipping works in BotBS, so I may not do the paperwork until I figure it out.

Thank you for checking Covenanter out, please feel free to leave feedback!

I am planning on having a harbour beside her at some point, hence why she is off-centre and there is a wee bit of an island behind.

Edited by Spud The Viking

I am a big fan of cloth sails in Lego. The tumblehome hull looks good. It the thing built into that base solid? Even the base is well built, seems to be curling a bit though.

12 hours ago, Fraunces said:

Amazing beauty. Love the style, colours and size. Just great.

Thank you!

9 hours ago, Jeff of Clubs said:

I am a big fan of cloth sails in Lego. The tumblehome hull looks good. It the thing built into that base solid? Even the base is well built, seems to be curling a bit though.

Thanks! The ship is sat upon baseplates that are on top of an old Ikea bookcase shelf :pir-grin:

Awesom ship, I love it ! It's great to see some more east indiaman ships. The display you built is beautiful, the water technique works incredibly well.

Great work!

She's a beauty!  Great idea to take advantage of the waterline and build your hull sloping out toward it.  The water is lovely too.

On 5/2/2022 at 11:24 AM, Justsomebrix said:

Awesom ship, I love it ! It's great to see some more east indiaman ships. The display you built is beautiful, the water technique works incredibly well.

Great work!

Thanks! I agree - East Indiamen are definitely underrepresented on the Brick Seas!

16 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

She's a beauty!  Great idea to take advantage of the waterline and build your hull sloping out toward it.  The water is lovely too.

Thanks! If it was a smaller scale I would have done something more interesting with the water, but this looks nice for the size of the moc!

Stunning ship @Spud The Viking! A definite :thumbup: for GoC from me

Overall it is a great ship with a gorgeous shape and colors. When I look closely at some of the details like the sides of cabin where it meets the poop deck it looks a little rough, but overall really nice!

Love the base with the start of the island - looking forward to seeing the next harbor module

16 minutes ago, Justsomebrix said:

Eeeeeeh It's not my ship this time :grin:

What are you talking about? :pir-grin::pir-laugh: (thx)

A really awesome build! I like the red gunports and railing. Also the usage of mainly classical parts and colour.
Personally I don't like it that much that, if the lower deck only have a few gunports, they are in a different colour than the stripe. But that is just my personal opinion.

18 hours ago, evancelt said:

Stunning ship @Spud The Viking! A definite :thumbup: for GoC from me

Overall it is a great ship with a gorgeous shape and colors. When I look closely at some of the details like the sides of cabin where it meets the poop deck it looks a little rough, but overall really nice!

Love the base with the start of the island - looking forward to seeing the next harbor module

Thank you! Yeah, the cabin is probably the roughest part, I changed it many times to get a good length and shape, so it probably less consistent with the overall ship.

You may have to wait a while for the harbour - another three baseplates full of stuff and I have other stuff in the pipeline too :pir_wacko:

13 hours ago, Wellesley said:

A really awesome build! I like the red gunports and railing. Also the usage of mainly classical parts and colour.
Personally I don't like it that much that, if the lower deck only have a few gunports, they are in a different colour than the stripe. But that is just my personal opinion.

Thanks Wellesley! I actually didn't know about the lower gunports, I'll have to keep that in mind!