Tube Map Central

Tumblehome tips

I quite often avoid trying SNOT techniques because, when I try them, they usually end up bulky, heavy, weak and out of system.

This time, playing with brackets I managed to come up with a way of doing tumblehome that is strong and absolutely in system. It has no protrusion into the passenger compartment so I can model a full interior.

The downside? A row of studs along the outside. However, I can live with that (these are old time coaches) because everything else is perfect.

But, before I go off and order the parts, have I missed something? Is there a way of achieving these goals without the row of studs?

The door/window layout cannot be changed.

[If only Lego made tile brackets ...]

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

[Does anyone else find the editor on this board really irritating? It offers loads of features I don't need, automates in stupid ways, and gets into fights with my tablet making composing a post almost impossible.]
Edited by Tube Map Central

Looks good!

44 minutes ago, Tube Map Central said:

But, before I go off and order the parts, have I missed something? Is there a way of achieving these goals without the row of studs?

The only thing that came to my mind is replacing the 1x2 brackets with the older 1x4 variant - that would halve the number of studs visible on the outside since you could fill the gap between them with tiles.

800x621.PNG

I'd also suggest that for strength you offset as many joints as possible, although with the 3-stud windows you'll be continuosuly slipping in and out of sync so it shouldn't matter too much. Overall it's a nifty idea I might have to try on a coach I've got built currently. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Thanks, yes, that does help. The doors will need handles and bumpers so it might be possible to make the remaining studs purposeful ...

Looking forward you seeing your result too

It won't be as sturdy... in fact it might not be sturdy at all, but you could use that to your advantage and have that weakness be where the top separates from the bottom... but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Right now from bottom to top you have brackets holding a 3xn assembly of snotted 2xn curved slopes and 1xn tiles. Above which, you have an assembly of windows etc.

Get rid of the 1xn snotted tiles and make it a 2xn assembly of just snotted 2xn curved slopes. Convert all or some of the up brackets to being 1x2 x 1x2 (instead of 1x2 x 2x2)

Flip the window assembly upside down and on the downward pointing studs of the windows, do two rows of 1xn plates and then 1xnx1 panels. The panels will slip nicely in behind the 2xn assembly of snotted curve slopes where the top of the 1x2 x 2x2 brackets currently are. The height will be the same. Only troubles are (1) not really sturdy but maybe internal details like seats could lock it into place and the two rows of 1x plates gives you the ability to add a lot of longitudinal strength, and (2) makes it difficult to do a good roof.

In the end, I gave up with this idea. Partly because the row of studs was very intrusive, but also because the brackets I needed are only available in a limited range of colours.

So I tried something along the same lines but different, with top-hung brackets. This intrudes into the passenger compartment but I was able to build it into the seats fully, so that there is nothing suspicious apart from the red lining on the outside, which is broken up for some reason.

The result is a weaker structure - by my standards - but you can still pick it up and shake it and nothing will fall off/out/in.

So this looks the part, and my Edwardian EMUs will get a new post soon ...

Very very strong but it didn't look great

tm1.JPG

www.tubemapcentral.com/legodesign/eurobricks/tm1.JPG

Now with top-hung brackets (front)

tm2.JPG

www.tubemapcentral.com/legodesign/eurobricks/tm2.JPG

Now with top-hung brackets (rear). The structural integrity relies on half-studded plates/tiles

tm3.JPG

www.tubemapcentral.com/legodesign/eurobricks/tm3.JPG

But the outcome is surprisingly strong
tm4.JPG

www.tubemapcentral.com/legodesign/eurobricks/tm4.JPG

3 hours ago, Tube Map Central said:

But the outcome is surprisingly strong

OK, but the outcome is strongly on the very, very nice side of designing!!!

Even better that it is strong - the look though is fantastic! Congratulations on that achievement. Wow. Every time I see something beautiful like your MOC, I think to myself: "Don't even try it. Stick to your programming fun and crazy things and all is good." And here's to feeling good :pir-huzzah2:

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

All the best,
Thorsten

Some great solutions appearing here.  I’m watching with interest, as I try to make my own two car EMU to complement my little town of Modulars, thereby allowing me to keep my trains, rather than sell on.

Re non-displaying photos. This seems to be a home router issue, possibly something to do with a firewall but restarting the router sometimes helps. For some reason all the direct links were wrong but I've fixed them now. Hard work, the Eurobricks editor hates iOS 

2 hours ago, jus1973 said:

Some great solutions appearing here.  I’m watching with interest, as I try to make my own two car EMU to complement my little town of Modulars, thereby allowing me to keep my trains, rather than sell on.

Go for it! There are some really nice MOCs out there, but the humble EMU needs more Lego representation.

While everyone was getting excited by these things ...

St_Philip's_Marsh_-_GWR_43002_Sir_Kennet

I was travelling on these ... and enjoying every minute, they were really comfortable and made great sounds ...

4EPB_set_at_Wimbledon.jpg

3 hours ago, Toastie said:

OK, but the outcome is strongly on the very, very nice side of designing!!!

Even better that it is strong - the look though is fantastic! Congratulations on that achievement. Wow. Every time I see something beautiful like your MOC, I think to myself: "Don't even try it. Stick to your programming fun and crazy things and all is good." And here's to feeling good :pir-huzzah2:

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

All the best,
Thorsten

Thanks! That's really inspired me, I have been really busy lately and there are lots of photographs That I need to take.

My MOC beginnings were a very humble Bricklinked MOD of 4554, changing some construction because parts were too rare/expensive. I'm not particularly skilled at the clever building techniques in Lego, I just put parts together from my oddments crate until I get lucky!

1 hour ago, Tube Map Central said:

I'm not particularly skilled at the clever building techniques in Lego, I just put parts together from my oddments crate until I get lucky!

The trick to being a good photographer is to take 100's of pictures and only show people the 2-3 good ones

One more observation, this method works well for a compartment coach, but there is too much intrusion into the saloon for an open coach to work. I can't see a way round that unless there is an obscure part that I'm missing.

On second thoughts, I think I've worked it out, watch this space ...

Inspiration

Here it is ...

Open saloon motor coach designed/in progress

It's just about possible with just enough height for luggage racks. The difficulty is that top-hung brackets are needed for smooth sides but these intrude a lot into the passenger space. You might turn them into tables, but this is a city train and I wanted to give the impression of high density seating. The floor is raised and there are limited opportunities for fixing the sides. Even so, it seems to be staying together.

tm5.JPG

http://www.tubemapcentral.com/legodesign/eurobricks/tm5.JPG

tm6.JPG

http://www.tubemapcentral.com/legodesign/eurobricks/tm6.JPG