Thirdwigg

[TC22] Skid Excavator [Done] or End Loader [Done] (Free Instructions)

I'm still favorizing excavator. Perhaps it could be yellow and dilemma is solved...

On 5/15/2022 at 10:48 AM, SaperPL said:

I would definitely go with the loader if you managed to put all knobs at the back. I don't like the situation where you're using knobs in front of it/at the side.

The excavator looks awesome, but I don't like the approach with knobs everywhere - it's more like pose-able than playable and thus I'd chose something that is possible to control from the back.

Thanks for the suggestions. I understand the critique, but the knob on the side of the Loader solved a lot of problems for the steering and overall proportions.

Yeah, there are a lot of knobs on the excavator as well. I'll see what I can do to clean it up.

OK, everything with the loader is done. Some pictures.

52077997212_5b4c419d65_b.jpg

52077997147_726efceb0c_b.jpg

52079274329_cd95ab3cf5_b.jpg

52079274299_9f7a9c5e97_b.jpg

And with some forks.

52079046588_961d373978_b.jpg

An a little video to see it all move.

Also, instructions are posted and are freely available at Rebrickable. If you give it a build, let me know what you thought of the build and the clarity of the instructions. Enjoy.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-111608/thirdwigg/end-loader/#details

Must build! Thanks for taking time to make instructions.

Absolutely lovely! Thanks for the instructions! :)

I really dig the excavator too. :pir-love: I hope You will "release" it too, even though You would decide not to apply it in the contest.

Edited by agrof

Agreed. It may be just my personal taste but to me the rear mudguards seem to be a bit too narrow - couldn't those be 1 stud wider each? Anyway, I like both models a lot and I'm already looking forward to building them :moar:

6 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I understand the critique, but the knob on the side of the Loader solved a lot of problems for the steering and overall proportions.

I can now see why you didn't want to transfer the second knob to the back - the engine bay is really amazing. I can understand the compromising "perfect" playability in favor of such wonderful detailing :)

On 5/15/2022 at 12:27 PM, 1gor said:

I'm still favorizing excavator. Perhaps it could be yellow and dilemma is solved...

Yeah, I have renewed interest in the excavator. I am going to keep the red, as I want to use the new panel from the Porsche Formula E. An update to the excavator will be here soon.

On 5/17/2022 at 12:45 AM, mpj said:

Must build! Thanks for taking time to make instructions.

You bet! I hope you enjoy the build when and if you do it.

On 5/17/2022 at 2:36 AM, agrof said:

Absolutely lovely! Thanks for the instructions! :)

I really dig the excavator too. :pir-love: I hope You will "release" it too, even though You would decide not to apply it in the contest.

I'm happy you like the build, and I'm happy to share the instructions.

Yep, I'll release the instructions for the excavator as well. I had an epiphany yesterday for the excavator that I am working on so the MOC will be done soon. 

On 5/17/2022 at 3:04 AM, Mikdun said:

Both looks great.

Thanks for the instructions.

Thanks, and I'm glad you like the instructions.

On 5/17/2022 at 3:41 AM, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

Agreed. It may be just my personal taste but to me the rear mudguards seem to be a bit too narrow - couldn't those be 1 stud wider each? Anyway, I like both models a lot and I'm already looking forward to building them :moar:

You know, I didn't even think about this as I built the loader, but I think you are correct; the mudguards should be a little bit wider. But I think I'll leave this in the "it's not a perfect MOC" category, and keep focusing on the excavator. I hope you enjoy the builds if you get to them.

On 5/17/2022 at 4:14 AM, SaperPL said:

I can now see why you didn't want to transfer the second knob to the back - the engine bay is really amazing. I can understand the compromising "perfect" playability in favor of such wonderful detailing :)

Thanks for the praise of the detailing and the engine bay. Both were important to me, and after I realized to get another know in the back for the lift would result in extending the steering pivot back a stud and increasing the wheelbase by two studs, I scrapped the idea.

OK, so I didn't like the way the rear of the Skid Excavator was looking, as it looked a little too stubby. So I added a little more to the rear, while keeping the feel of the body.

800x533.jpeg

I also managed to get a little fake engine in there as well. I hope to have the MOC finalized in the next couple days.

800x533.jpeg

I think I am about done with this. There are a couple more details to do, and as I look at these photos, I see the seat is missing.

800x533.jpeg

I am liking this MOC a little more than the loader now. Below is the current Studio File. Current size is 17x21x28 for 9996 cubic studs. Barely cutting it....

800x600.png

Edited by Thirdwigg

Very difficult choice! 

The loader is nicer in my opinion, but it is an "usual" subject.

The Mecalac is very "unusual" and more complex and I think the arm is perfect, but I think there are some proportions are off, maybe the cab is too tall?

What a great job! The excavator is in my top 3 entries, the new red panel is sooo fitting here!

The only thing that I would change is the tread to the rubber ones:

x1681.png

@Thirdwigg

The excavator is definitely my favorite of your models for the contest. There is so much going on in that small machine, just awesome! :thumbup: And indeed the new panel(s) has/have some uses, I'll most likely put them to use in future cars.

Will you enter the contest with both models or decide for one or another?

On 5/21/2022 at 3:18 AM, mpj said:

Very difficult choice! 

The loader is nicer in my opinion, but it is an "usual" subject.

The Mecalac is very "unusual" and more complex and I think the arm is perfect, but I think there are some proportions are off, maybe the cab is too tall?

Thanks for your feedback, and it sounds like you understand the quandary I currently am in. I'll make a choice soon.

Yeah, maybe the proportions are off a little bit, because something about this MOC is just a little funny to my eye as well. Everything measures out correctly to the Mecalac (including the cab height), but the arm is wider and thicker than the scale requires. I can't figure it out, but even if I did, I'm not sure I'd be able to fix it by the deadline.

On 5/22/2022 at 3:31 AM, Jundis said:

What a great job! The excavator is in my top 3 entries, the new red panel is sooo fitting here!

The only thing that I would change is the tread to the rubber ones:

x1681.png

Thanks again for the feedback. I can't get the rubber tracks in time for the contest, but I'll do an update to the MOC when I get them. I agree, the new panel is perfect.

22 minutes ago, johnnym said:

@Thirdwigg

The excavator is definitely my favorite of your models for the contest. There is so much going on in that small machine, just awesome! :thumbup: And indeed the new panel(s) has/have some uses, I'll most likely put them to use in future cars.

Will you enter the contest with both models or decide for one or another?

I can only enter one MOC, so I'll need to make a decision at some point. If you asked me today, it would be excavator, but yesterday it was the loader, so..... I'm on track to post the instructions by Tuesday, so I'll make a call sometime after that.

Good luck with making your decision. I think the loader looks better, something just looks cartoonish to me for the excavator. But both are good looking little models. As others have said the excavator is something different and not “another loader”

Alright, I'm all done. With the exception of the decision.

The excavator is finished, and instructions may be found for free at Rebrickable. Hopefully seeing how to build it will be fun for you all.

The final skid excavator features the following

• Boom 1 tilt
  • Boom 2 tilt
  • Boom 3 tilt
  • Boom slewing HOG
  • Bucket Tilt
  • Interchangeable buckets and fork
  • Tilting front plow
  • 2 cylinder fake engine
  • Opening door
  • Opening engine compartment

Some photos:

52097553983_8df5cfe861_b.jpg

52096500072_98245eecf1_b.jpg

52097762189_5909bdc901_b.jpg

52098028135_4028fdbf8b_b.jpg

52097553968_4d28cd12e9_b.jpg

52097523936_e24f2bc961_b.jpg

And I realize I forgot to add a bounding box picture for the loader. The final is 15w x 18h x 33l for 8910 cubic studs.

52096500082_b6384063b6_b.jpg

And 17w x 21h x 28l for 9,996 cubic studs for the excavator.

52097553973_9034295bea_b.jpg

And a video if it's helpful.

OK, now the hardest part: choosing which one to submit for the contest. I'll make a decision by Sunday.

I hope you have all enjoyed these builds. I certainly had a lot of fun making both of them. 

Yes. I'm thinking that whatever model you choose will be a good candidate for the podium, even if there's some really solid candidates in this contest.

I like both of your models very much, but I maybe tend to the excevator, because, as already mentioned, it has more functions and also looks very realistic. I saw pretty much exactly this kind of excavator just a few days ago. Your model really looks very similar to the real excavator.

Thanks @1980SomethingSpaceGuy @fosamax and @Philtech for your kind words. I am going with the Skid Excavator!

Thanks to everyone who followed this project, and for all the kind words and constructive feedback on both MOCs. I liked each one for different reasons as many of you did, so it was hard to choose which one to submit to the contest. 

Now we'll see what happens with the contest! It's in with a lot of other great entries. 

One final collage for the entry topic..

52108681773_f485a8ca4c_b.jpg

Both were worth to entry contest, but this excavator is is more interesting.

@Thirdwigg

Glad, you decided for the excavator. Well, you could have done something in those 4 remaining cubic studs, eh? :laugh: Jokes aside, that really looks like a precision landing, bravo! :thumbup:

I have a question - as I'm missing the technical background :blush: - what is boom slewing? Is that, when the "superstructure" moves, taking the boom with it?

10 hours ago, Jurss said:

Both were worth to entry contest, but this excavator is is more interesting.

Thanks @Jurss, I think so too. 

Thanks @johnnym, and I am glad you like it. Yeah, I think it should be “superstructure slewing.” I’ll fix it. 

If the contest hadn't been put on the front page, I would never have seen these two wonders. :wub_drool:
The Skid Excavator is my favorite, the design is clean, the proportions are attractive, the mechanical functions are magnificent ... here we are far beyond the official lego sets! :pir-huzzah2: