Murdoch17

Emperor Zurg's New Clothes - adding a Toy Story 2-style skirt to the Lightyear Zurg model - finished 4/30/22

I just bought the Zurg Battle (set 76831) recently. I didn't like the legs, as the look from Toy Story 2 / Buzz Lightyear of Star Command design for Emperor Zurg was (in my honest opinion) much better and more iconic.

52039722147_8256aa5c93_z.jpg

Here we see the finished model. Zurg has an orange 2 x 2 "boat stud" in trans-orange on the bottom for his rocket pod feet that you can't see in this shot.

52027974982_2cabbacf7b_z.jpg

"...and then a little mini-fig shouted 'He's got no pants on!' Emperor Zurg suddenly realized the tiny mini-fig was right, and than the he has been tricked by Buzz Lightyear. So, Zurg re-atomized the poor fig into a compressed cylindrical pile of ash with his finger laser and declared it "No Pants for Emperor's Day."

This is the ending scene from "Emperor Zurg's New Clothes", a popular bed time story for children on Planet Z. (As far as we know, no minifigs were actually re-atomized making this shot.)

In actuality, this is a behind-the-scenes look at how Zurg is assembled.

52029983269_0c6b994901_z.jpg

All the parts needed to remake the legged Zurg from Lightyear into Emperor Zurg with skirt as seen in Toy Story 2*. (NOTE:  The old-style round 2x2 Light bluish gray tile should have the printed "Z" Zurg logo from 2010's Construct-A-Zurg.)

*TS2-film accurate Ion Blaster not included, as I couldn't figure out a design for the tri-barrel that was in scale.

52030255395_1fa75ed7bd_z.jpg

The purple cheese slopes and printed tile go above the wheel arch used on the front of Zurg, while the extra 2x2 plate round goes where the Mixel ball-joint connectors went as the original hips.

You can download the free LDD file for the skirt model in completed form here from Bricksafe.

(Side note: If you thought I said "Zurg" a lot in this post, you're right: I said it twelve times including this last one!)

Enjoy the MOD, and comments, questions, and complaints welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

I was wondering when someone would do this! Are you able to post pics of the complete real life build yet?

15 minutes ago, icm said:

I was wondering when someone would do this! Are you able to post pics of the complete real life build yet?

Thanks for asking @icm! When the final 10 parts arrive from Bricklink, then yes, I will. (I ordered them yesterday, but the invoice hasn't been posted yet to pay for it.)

On 4/25/2022 at 3:12 PM, icm said:

52041015929_ca72bbc133_z.jpg

As requested by @icm, here is the completed TS2-styled Zurg, seen with two Zyclops.

52039722147_8256aa5c93_z.jpg

...and upgraded Zurg all by himself.

The first post has been modified as well. Thoughts everyone?

Ah yes, that's the real Zurg.  The real Zurg wears a kilt, not trousers.