Sign in to follow this  
m00se

[TC22] Cherry Picker

I hope a cherry picker classifies as "construction equipment".

First time for me to make a MOC with pneumatics, so not sure yet if I'll succeed.

Bottom part with outriggers. Earlier versions had a problem that if you would put a pneumatic pump on the vehicle and press it in the outriggers would just collapse under the pressure ;-) Current version has one worm wheel per outrigger and that seems to be strong enough.

The boom:

Extended:

Red knobs right in front of the rear wheels will be for the outriggers and the turntable:

A potential issue might be that I'll fail to keep it within the maximum 10000 cubic studs. As it will be 13 studs wide and probably 40 long I'll have to keep it to a maximum of 19 studs in height (13 * 40 * 19 = 9880)

Interesting how that gear from knob meshes with other gears going to outriggers. Somehow it doesn't look in picture, that it meshes. Or there is 12T under that 20T?

2 hours ago, Jurss said:

Interesting how that gear from knob meshes with other gears going to outriggers. Somehow it doesn't look in picture, that it meshes. Or there is 12T under that 20T?

There is.

Interesting model. The flat truck and shape of the arm somehow remind me of a similar model from one of my childhood sets, 8042 (the blue pneumatic universal set). I like how you made the linkage so the upper arm moves together with the lower.

It's too bad the outrigger gear train needs a lot of room. Wouldn't there be room to organize it differently so it needs less space? Maybe that would free up space to add a differential somehow. Also, is it normal on these vehicles that outriggers do not extend horizontally? I don't know, it just looks a bit weird because I'm used to large cranes and stuff, that would need longer-reach outriggers.

The color scheme is a bit messy right now, with the red, white and blue, and the yellow pneumatics. I don't know if it's temporary, but personally I'd not use too many colors. I think the red and white works very nicely, but white-blue could also work. I'd remove either red or blue, and opt for a two-color scheme, and maybe add a few yellow details to go together with the yellow pneumatic parts.

For the rest, I think you're going along nicely, and I think the base chassis looks quite organized.

21 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

is it normal on these vehicles that outriggers do not extend horizontally? I don't know, it just looks a bit weird because I'm used to large cranes and stuff, that would need longer-reach outriggers.

Thanks for the feedback Erik. The following pic gives an example of what I have in mind. These front outriggers do extend a bit horizontally but not a lot. On this scale I don't think I'm capable to replicate that effect.

nl120-1024x682.jpg

Pneumatics done (just need to find a better solution for the elastic bands; that looks pretty bad):

This looks really good. Can't wait to see it completed.

I'd like to see the pneumatic outriggers, but I guess it's tough enough to handle the arm with them.

This build it looking very clean so far, and I hope it can stay that way with the cab. The white, read and blue looks great.

It would be great if you could find a way to remove the rubber bands on the boom.

Just asking, but what are the elactic bands for? I mean, the cylinder should stay on its place without them, right?

Maybe the connection with the cylinder's bottom with the blue #1 connector isn't the strongestpossible. Maybe extend the axle 2L below it to 3L and use that extra length to join another axle/bush connector to reinforce the connection to the cylinder?

2 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Just asking, but what are the elactic bands for? I mean, the cylinder should stay on its place without them, right?

The cylinder stays in place pretty well, but the tube was a problem. I'll try to change that to get rid of the elastic bands because it really spoils the view.

Finished:

7.jpg

9.jpg

Proof of dimensions W x L x H = 13 x 37 x 20 = 9620 cubc studs

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Making itself useful:

14.jpg

15.jpg