sp1984

42124 vs. 42140 as first set for Technic powered up

Hey

which set is better for buying first powered up/control+ Technic set:

42124 Off Road Buggy

or 42140 App-Controlled Transformation Vehicle?

Considering also economical factor in that question.

Both sets offer Technic Powered Up hub x1 and 2x L motor.

Set 42140 offers far better price per piece ratio, but 42140 is tracked vehicle while 42124 is RWD (rear wheel drive) vehicle which is more appealing for me as I have also older 42095 vehicle (tracked remote controlled racer with Power functions).

Or maybe the best solution is to have both 42124 i 42140, but is it reasonable to purchase such sets and have two Technic Powered Up hubs (one hub is not enough?)?

RacingBrick had already made such analysis which Control+ set is best for money:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bypBVRkBp5I

but that video was made in November 2021, so it was before introduction of 42140.

Kind regards

5 minutes ago, sp1984 said:

Hey

which set is better for buying first powered up/control+ Technic set:

42124 Off Road Buggy

or 42140 App-Controlled Transformation Vehicle?

Considering also economical factor in that question.

Both sets offer Technic Powered Up hub x1 and 2x L motor.

Set 42140 offers far better price per piece ratio, but 42140 is tracked vehicle while 42124 is RWD (rear wheel drive) vehicle which is more appealing for me as I have also older 42095 vehicle (tracked remote controlled racer with Power functions).

Or maybe the best solution is to have both 42124 i 42140, but is it reasonable to purchase such sets and have two Technic Powered Up hubs (one hub is not enough?)?

RacingBrick had already made such analysis which Control+ set is best for money:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bypBVRkBp5I

but that video was made in November 2021, so it was before introduction of 42140.

Kind regards

You won't need 2 hubs for a while, unless you intend to keep your MOCs built instead of taking them apart to build something new. The buggy is the cheapest option but if you have the budget, you can also go for a bigger set with PU stuff like 42129 or 42114, either of which should cost around the same as 42124 and 42140 combined.

I pick 42140 with raptor unless I need white wheel. 42140 has much more interesting parts. (Even I already bought both)

The off road buggy looks cool but it's virtually useless. It can barely climb small ramps. On the other hand, it's relative suckiness encourages you to learn how to improve models. The transforming vehicle works great and is a really well thought out design. 

From playability point 42140 could be better.

But, if You still don't have those tires, maybe buggy is more interesting.

Well, if you have extra pieces iy may turn the tables: they both have the Hub and 2xL motors, so you may run both the applications for them. Only need to build the model itself.

• 42124 Off-road Buggy quite a "straigth-forward" car which can be built without Rocket Sience of part borrowed from any set with double wishbone suspension. The only "required" parts are 15L altrentae-holed beams.
  • 42140 Tracked Vechicle is even simplier if we're talking about its arcitecture: beams, tracks and a few gears. But not so many sets have such a big number of tracks pices, the unique (yet?) gears are better than ther elder double-beveled brothers, plus a lot of brigth panel recolors.

I would take 42140 and, if needed, rebuild it later into 42124 just to see how it rolls. It should take not so many efforts in additional part finding rather you will convert 42124>42140.

I have neither but from my POV the buggy offers more interesting pieces, with its suspension links, springs and tyres. 42140 while interesting, is a bit plain in the parts offering imo, except for maybe the gears. Tracks are a bit of a snooze imo, especially after all the hundreds of tracked RC vehicles during the PF era

1 hour ago, Void_S said:

"required" parts are 15L altrentae-holed beams

It is really not required. I used standard 15L beams, and additionally some few technic connctors.

If you get a buggy off the shelf at a local toy store there's a good chance you'll get a hub that doesn't have the screws, which is good!

As you already have tracks (42095) I would suggest going for tires, so the 42124

You should view them as parts packs, not sets. Because as a set everybody is on the 42140

Remember to check brickwatch, 42129 has a good discount in Germany

Here you have a table for most PU sets

Edited by bitbamboo

As an older Lego fan I consider the transforming Lego model as somewhat akin to a gimmicky childs toy therefore I would (and already own) recommend the Buggy.

On 4/18/2022 at 12:04 PM, sp1984 said:

which set is better for buying first powered up/control+ Technic set

It really depends: Are you chasing PUp functionality or PUp programming? If so, go to BL, and purchase a new 4port hub for €14 (used €10) and new PUp L motors for €14 (used €12) and leave the brick's'pieces alone; the sum is about €40 (I am always going with used stuff, but that is me, it is even cheaper; motors of that age don't really age as don't hubs).

When you want to go nuts on remote control controlling ... cars/motive devices ... buy one of the two, as discussed above.

Best,
Thorsten

Forgot: And never ever buy these PUp devices from TLG. They are simply unhinged, when it comes to "prices".

Edited by Toastie

Hey

Thank you All for your replies.

Yes I consider that sets as part packs, so as pure part count tracked 42140 is better choice, but parts for tracked vehicles are rather cheap
(sprockets, link threads, etc.) so it is not so straightforward if looking beyond simply part count. Also I do not think I need new parts from 42140.

I am also interested in PUp programming and yes also considered buying only PuP hub and L motors. But TBH I have already bought 42124 for about 83 euro, so its good bargain I think.

Now just thinking if return it or keep it :)

Also was thinking about Zetros, while its twice the budget of 42124, but can be obtained for good price. Zetros itself got average reviews at best but seen good MOC's to improve it so definitely its set with a potential.

But topic is about 42124 vs 42140 so Zetros is another story :)

Anyway hard choices ;)

Greets