This is a crane truck of suck(itude). I finished the carrier around a year ago, ran out of ideas and eventually got sick of having it sitting there like a dejected turd, so I threw a half-baked crane on it and took some pics before kicking it to the curb.

It's got RC drive (1 XL motor), steering (1 M motor) and flimsy outriggers (1 M motor) that couldn't lift a fly. The crane is powered by 1 L motor through a selector gearbox (arm lift, arm extension, hook, rotation). An inline-4 engine has been snuck into the cabin to make the driver and any passengers really miserable.

Unfortunately all the functions work really well, which kinda takes away from the model's otherwise extreme suckitude.

1280x1041.jpg

1280x1038.jpg

1280x1169.jpg

1280x930.jpg

1280x725.jpg

1280x685.jpg

1280x597.jpg

1280x484.jpg

800x1457.jpg

800x1159.jpg

1280x840.jpg

The truck itself is just great, the blocky appearance of the crane takes it away, imho. Have you tried to shorten the 4L half beams for the actuation of the outriggers to 3L? So maybe you can lower the whole upper structure a bit.

All around the model isn't that ugly as you say, I mean it's blue!

It may not be perfect but I think it looks pretty cool with the tractor tires especially. If you are not happy with the build just keep in mind how well the funtions worked and what you learned for your future creations. Even projects one considers a failure will add to your experience.

Hmm looking at the raised to the highest position outriggers, an idea has come to me: what if the outriggers' "knees" may lock the crane turntable, so it stays even more stable in the "transport" position. :snicker:

Give yourself some credit! This is really well implemented. Reminded me of 8460 right away. So it looks like you have Drive, Steer, Outriggers & a Universal motor from the Buwizz Unit on the base. Then the Slew, Boom, Extend, Hook are operated from the Universal through a manual 4S gearbox in the superstructure. Very intelligent use of the clutches. I really like it. Do you have a video by chance? I can't quite make out the gearing from the XL & I'm curious to see how it steers with the M motor.

I imagine that operating the Slew function from the Superstructure while it's rotating could be challenging, which is why I think that it was done from a secondary gear box (in the base) on 42082. But with the benefit of bypassing the need for another battery box in the Crane I think that's ok, especially for a model on this scale.

On 4/17/2022 at 11:56 AM, suffocation said:

Unfortunately all the functions work really well, which kinda takes away from the model's otherwise extreme suckitude.

Wait, what? If the functions work really well, what's there to suck? This is the technic forum. In the end, what we like best is functions that work really well ;) so if your model has that, that's not suckitude, that's a suc-cess :)

Anyhow, I like it. I like how it has a reasonable size, and I even like the red bits at the top. The truck especially looks quite nice, and I think the color scheme is nice too. It's a bit of a mix between the almighty 8460, and 8052. It could be a set and I'd probably like it. The superstructure is a bit too boxy for my taste, but I assume a lot happens inside. But you could alleviate the problem slightly by using a smaller side panel, and let the black core stick out a bit at the top. That way, you suggest a flatter shape even though it's not actually lower. Also, about the outriggers, the reason they may not be strong enough is because their geometry isn't "locking". If you look up the instructions for 8460 and rebuild those outriggers then you will find out that the legs rotate when extending, and it has a locking function. This is done by making the two connection points on the base (where the 1x4 beams connect) slightly further apart than the two connection points on the leg. If you do that, the outriggers will also extend further sideways, which is an added bonus for stability. (But please note, doing outriggers right is hard).

good MOC and I like the choice of color, after the "standard" yellow it looks very interesting :thumbup:. I think you are too self-critical, especially if all the functions really work perfectly, which is very important for a crane model :wink:

Edited by Akassin

Aside from poetic description I must admit that this time I totally agree with this 

Beside it is great to see blue MOC

Thank you so much for the encouragement and the constructive feedback, lads :wub: Really appreciate it :wub:

With all the tips you've given me, I'll probably rework the model giving it locking outriggers and a more streamlined crane (the latter being the section I'm really disappointed with - but my heart wasn't in it anymore).

On 4/18/2022 at 5:23 PM, P McCatty said:

I can't quite make out the gearing from the XL

It's 7:5 - the XL connects straight to a z16 that drives another z16 connected to the two z20 gears driving the two differentials. In the belly shot you can also (barely) see a z24 - this drives a z20 connected to the fake engine.

On 4/18/2022 at 5:23 PM, P McCatty said:

Do you have a video by chance?

I'll try to shoot one as soon as I get the BuWizz app to work - at the moment I'm stuck with BrickController 2, which runs horribly on my dumbphone.