artemisovsky

[TC22] Bucket Wheel Excavator [Free instructions]

What about chain links (3711) for the ladder? I know it wouldn’t be stiff but it may fit the scale?

love the build either way. 

The leftmost cabin fits the ladder very well, and I think it is the best looking. But, it might be a bit big for the scale...

Love this model! Great work!

13 hours ago, KevinMD said:

What about chain links (3711) for the ladder? I know it wouldn’t be stiff but it may fit the scale?

I tried this solution earlier, but the ladder was too thick and it did't look very special. Perhaps without tying it into circuit would be nice but I dont' know how to attach it in this way.

@Philtech @mdemerchant @KevinMD @Nazgarot thanks for feedbacks. Looking at the proportions in the diagrams, the left cab seemed too large and the middle and right seemed too small so i made an intermediate version like on new renders. This is rather the final version and I'm in the process of making instructions. I'll make it available on rebrickable probably next week and try to take better quality real photos after rebuilding the model.

tc22_bwe_031.png
tc22_bwe_032.png

This looks like the perfect middle ground! Maybe add a 3 L beam or similar behind it to make it look more connected to the base? The curent connection is probably very good, but in the last picture above it seems disconnected from the base.

Combining ideas here... How about this for a Ladder? 

By connection it to beams on both sides you should have a secure connection...

Ladder.png

_ED_

2 hours ago, Nazgarot said:

This looks like the perfect middle ground! Maybe add a 3 L beam or similar behind it to make it look more connected to the base? The curent connection is probably very good, but in the last picture above it seems disconnected from the base.

Good point, I added one beam on the bottom and it actually looks better. Thank you.

tc22_bwe_033.png

2 hours ago, Nazgarot said:

Combining ideas here... How about this for a Ladder? ...

Clever solution but I will stay with previous version of ladder because it seems prettier to me. Anyway thanks for explanation.

21 hours ago, artemisovsky said:

@Philtech @mdemerchant @KevinMD @Nazgarot thanks for feedbacks. Looking at the proportions in the diagrams, the left cab seemed too large and the middle and right seemed too small so i made an intermediate version like on new renders.

I think the current cabin looks best! Well done.

Update! Free instructions available here

Below are photos of the finished model, probably I am not able to get better quality.
800x600.jpg
800x600.jpg
800x600.jpg

On 5/6/2022 at 3:47 PM, Philtech said:

I think the current cabin looks best! Well done. 

Thank you, I agree with you. Sorry that I didn't write back earlier but I didn't want to raise topic unnecessarily.

Looks great! I like the idea of making such a massive machine in a small scale.

I think this is the only MOC I jave ever seen where I would not use a differential. I mean, its not like the excavator will be driving a lot of tight corners... And in this scale the diff really doesn't look good.

7 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:

looks better than the lego's verison. 

Thank you. For sure is simpler, without unnecessary additions. But the color scheme can be sad, I like it anyway.

5 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Great job, and I like the yellow background.

Thank you. This yellow background is information board for building a house in my country. Pretty cool replacement professional background for photographers but it is very reflective.

4 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

I think this is the only MOC I jave ever seen where I would not use a differential. I mean, its not like the excavator will be driving a lot of tight corners... And in this scale the diff really doesn't look good.

Thanks for the feedback. I also thought about it before and I came to the conclusion that the version with a differential is better. The excavator looks better for me with it and I have a feeling that drives more smoothly. Change to the second version without differential takes about a minute. I still have some time and I don't know whether to change it. Below are renders with a comparison of both versions.

tc22_bwe_034.png
tc22_bwe_036.png

Edited by artemisovsky

Can you test it in real life? I would suspect that the non-diff drive would power the complex set of gears a little better. I agree it does look a little better without the diff.

My entry into the contest is complete. Thanks to everyone for help and ideas while I created my model. Finally prepared the version without differential and shared 2 versions of instructions (v1 with diff and v2 without it) at Rebrickable.
Final photos and renders:
800x600.jpg
BWE_nd_1.png
BWE_nd_2.png