• Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

7656 General Greivous's Starfighter

Release: 2007

Number of Pieces: 232

Minifigs: 1

Brickset

Welcome! This is my first review, so contstructive critisism is very much appreciated!

On to the review:

First, we start out with the box:

7656%20General%20Grievous%20Starfighter%20box.jpg

The box art is the same as always since 2006. nothing special.

Then we start the build. The build is fairly easy, and will take the seasoned builder about 15-20 min to complete.

Here is the finished model:

2858393548_0a15c29fc8_o.jpg

and bird's eye view:

2613140963_61a41f83b6_o.jpg

As you can see, this ship is very sleek. The fins or "wings" each have an outer slope and an inner one, with the guns in between. There are also cones on the front of the fins, which give the ship an even more sleek look. In the middle of the wings there is the main body, with a big slope and stripes decorating it.

This set has a very good playability factor, as I'm about to show you now.

The guns on the ship are pretty cool looking to begin with; a bley slope attaching a lightsaber hilt and a trans-neon green stud to the fin on each side. But theres more than what meets the eye:

2613974694_e25b57c038_o.jpg

Yes, the guns flip up!

2613138723_5a8b5d82e3_o.jpg

...and they can flip all the way back to hide them, for whatever case they need hiding.

Lets have a look at the back, there is a tail fin used as landing gear and some lightspeed boosters:

2613973570_c6431e6e5e_o.jpg

But wait...

2613973796_3b627b4ab5_o.jpg

The tail fin can flip up for flight thanks to a hinge attached to the back of the cockpit.

Heres another playability factor:

2613973034_f2c262585b_o.jpg

The cockpit can slide open very smoothly and easily.

Heres how this is possible:

2613139007_ccd32c48de_o.jpg

A clever system under the hood allows the cockpit to open. See those two bley pieces on the black ones?

2613139259_b2a119385c_o.jpg

Those bley ones attach to the tan plates under the hood, and the hood and windsheild attach to the black peices. The black and bley pieces work together as a sliding system, so the cockpit opens. Viola! And then the cockpit snaps in place thanks to the red hook and clip. Its a very accurate system, and works very well. You'll want to open and close it over and over again!

Now, finnaly to the fig:

2613977262_763cd926f8_o.jpg

The General himself. A very impressive fig, with a new head and torso mold. In this set, (which is one of only two with Greivous in it) he comes with 2 green and two blue lightsabers, all with bley hilts ( :thumbdown: ). I was hoping for chrome hilts, but its a minor fault. Grievous also comes with a new mold pistol blaster (not pictured).

Heres the General in the cockpit (sadly a weak cockpit, no details):

2613140485_7682e63c1f_o.jpg

He just half lays down on a small slope. In this set, he doesnt come with a cape beacuse with it on, the cockpit doesnt close.

Thats about it, heres the...

FINAL VERDICT:

Build: 7/10 Fairly easy but fun. A little bit weak.

Playability: 8/10 Many playability factors, but some are boring or pointless.

Swooshability: 8/10 very fun to fly around, sometimes pieces break off.

Minifigs: 10/10 one amazing fig with 4 lightsabers and a new blaster. what more could you ask for?

Design: 9/10 very sleek, but hardly any real texture. i like it, but others might want greebling.

Price: 10/10

Overall Score: 9/10 A very cool ship with a very cool minifig and accessories. One of the best SW sets I have ever seen for its small price I highly recommend it to any kind of SW, LEGO, or SW LEGO fan.

Hope you enjoyed my review, please leave feedback!

Edited by JimButcher

You should have posted the entire review up! I am about to look at the gallery for the rest of the pics.

EDIT: as soon as I post the images came thats weird. Nice review, is there more it says i'll be back? Good first Review!

Edited by Skipper 24

sorry about that Skipper, i added the topic after the first pic was uploaded just to make sure the pics would be in the post. You probably posted while i was editing it. And i had to go to visit my grandparents, im at their house right now. :wink: sorry if you got freaked out!

Very nice review Jim!

I haven't bought this set yet, but am planning to just to get a GG fig as I don't have one already. Bought an Imperial Landing Craft instead this week as it was on sale, but after this review, GG's fighter is sure to follow soon :classic:

Benny

That's a neat little set.

I like the design of the fighter.

Thanks for the review - it's been indexed.gif

Keep it up :thumbup::thumbup:

KimT

Hey, thanks for all the feedback, guys! :thumbup: ill try to do the Sith Infiltrator this weekend.

Yesterday I buy this set,and I'm waiting for a pack!

This Review is very helpful!

ill try to do the Sith Infiltrator this weekend.

*oh2*

I wait!

Does the sliding cockpit come off easily? My friends brothers breaks everytime you touch it, but he may have built it wrong. It put me off the set.

Does the sliding cockpit come off easily? My friends brothers breaks everytime you touch it, but he may have built it wrong. It put me off the set.

im very sad to say that SOMETIMES it does. :sadnew: but thats only if you hold it from the top and bottom with your fingers and thumb respectivly. But if you hold it in your palm or from the sides, it wont break. Emphasis on sometimes. But dont try to mess around with it by removing its pieces or adding new one, or modding it in any way, because the sliding mechanism wont agree with the mods and break. But this hardly takes away from anyone liking this set because, IMO, its perfect just how it is.

Yeah!

General Grievous Starfighter will land in my house!

Greate set, i LOVE decals - brown and sandy pattern... ingenious!

BTW. When you show Sith Infiltrator Review? I wait... :)

Nice work Jim for your first review. I must admit the set didn't really appeal to me at first, but your review has definitely shown off the cool functions built in to this ship, Well Done! :classic::thumbup:

Cheers ISC :skull:

nice review, i bought a couple of these for parts, the only thing i dont like about the ship itself (not the lego version, it does fine) is why is the Grand Droid General flying around in in a small fighter like this, i prefer the battlefront interpretation witch uses it as a bomber.

anyway, great review!

-York

thanks again, you guys. dont worry, the sith infiltrator review will be up this week. My computer has viruses, but now i got FireFox (complete with spell check!), so i should be able to go on the Internet ok from now on. :wink:

Great set, great review! :thumbup: I have it too and I am very glad to own it! It will probably be the cheapest and best way to get a Grievous fig for a while (even though it doesn't come with a cape :hmpf_bad: ).

You guys know that you can use the new robot/skeleton arms from the Castle sets to make him hold his lightsabers horizontically, right? :wink: I always have him with two of each kind of arm.