A couple of months ago, I modded my 42098, removing the trailer and moving the ramp to the truck itself. Which left me with those:

18940.png18942.png

For some reason, they reminded me of my 8854 set, back in the day. I figured I could build a crane that size, at some point.

Now with TC22, the time has come!
So I've started working on a little crane truck, with the above as the boom. The size is pretty small, but I wanted a least as many features as the original.
I managed to pack that in and eventually also added a working fake engine.

y4mCw96WzbmvTdky39MosIBvBWKyGoKPm-PJhuay

y4mTs_rzI2q_zV5xFu7m8qJdMjU8CTvVbm0HxwDo

y4mnlbKuQQ8C-fVOc8MQD2VoGhSxb3qthr7Z0FGs

y4m1WrIHIKmHrxJOyHeM_reQmKuY8QhvQbEIBpKI

y4mPgghaVQjSZWAuWK59bHeXyKDK1sVWVmd5MfTk

It's a lot less impressive than 8854 was in my memories, but all features work so I'm happy with that.

Thanks for watching!

Edited by 1980SomethingSpaceGuy
Updated topic title

5 hours ago, TangersTechnic said:

That is really nice and well built.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Jurss said:

Original way of routing rope.

I went for the simplest solution with that. At that scale, it's just too bulky to have guides and pulleys all the way, so I figured rubbing against rounded surfaces was acceptable considering the mechanical constraints.
Do you think I could improve this aspect? What would be the standard way?

I confess I desire a little bigger tires. But other than that you added great functions, and kept the feel of 8854. Well done; it looks great!

45 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

I confess I desire a little bigger tires. But other than that you added great functions, and kept the feel of 8854. Well done; it looks great!

So true! I would have loved to use bigger tires too. But alas, I have none between those and the 43.2, which are obviously too big for this scale.
On the other hand, those wheel arches simply wouldn't have worked with bigger tires.. :pir_laugh2:
Using those tiny ones pushed the design towards the "cute" side and away from 8854 a bit, but I tried to keep details like the color scheme, the HOG, downward pointing headlights, etc. true to the original so that the reference remains to be noticed. Glad if it works!

Thanks for your comment! 

Ok, this is actually brilliant on how it depicts the roundness of the cab, that slight angle there to match the round panels on the side and to angle the dashboard and steering wheel at the same time - awesome attention to detail here :)

On 4/14/2022 at 12:48 PM, mpj said:

Very cute little model!

Thanks a lot!

On 4/14/2022 at 6:25 PM, SaperPL said:

Ok, this is actually brilliant on how it depicts the roundness of the cab, that slight angle there to match the round panels on the side and to angle the dashboard and steering wheel at the same time - awesome attention to detail here :)

Thank you! Indeed, I was feeling the interior deserved some more attention: I raised the HOG one full stud, this allowed the universal joints to work smoother and made room for the second seat. I also tweaked the round tiles to stick out a bit less, and changed the way the lower liftarm is attached. The inverted 2x2 plate blends in nicely with the rest of the dashboard and holds it well enough.

Other than that, I put a touch of yellow in the wheels as well as a few color swaps here and there, and managed to reduce friction in the transmission.
Which is quite exotic, but about the only way to connect the rear axle to the engine.

y4mzm1Jv0j9IqeMm-rMw4oFfGY_ex33ykf9xbujW

y4m5c8DOe3GynaojHCDg0H00q1un91Wxx6YseSmB

Of course the HOG barely deserves its name here: it is quite obvious.
But we all love this double universal joint setup, don't we?

y4msZJz08pwk-bkob69HuiBCswVYl2s7L8qh5TH6

y4mhVWe31cTdwnVJ5kL5FoR8aCPk1K7A1eYrkQag

y4mpV_GleeNItmj3vc87Q6yIav_Mfr8Ynb_IU2z-

Dimensions are (WxHxL) 11x17x24, which make for 4488 cubic studs.
This means two of them would still fit in the allowed volume, yay!

y4mzST8Eu4HZieDbdLO8J0xnmtOFX1a60YCPohaO

Thanks for watching!

Amazingly good looking for it's size!

Really love how you used the "steering arms" with the pin with ball to make the A-arms. This really is the dot over the i on a good model, and in combination with the slim and almost cute front it give the model a real personality. 

Only thing I would change is the hand of god steering knob. Maybe this part could make it fit better with the scale of the model.

4589b.png

_ED_

I decided to reboot the micro crane.
The small turntable and actuator simply were not strong enough, even for the scale. Moreover, the transmission was a bit sketchy and the wheels too small.

So, with an upgraded turntable and actuator, I also upgraded the hook for the metal one from 8854 and the wheels.

y4mL6bVs8OuEpGJXGvhh9WspsykaKEwceEmvULGK

I tried to stick to the round and cute style of the first iteration. I'm not completely satisfied with the looks, but the features now work much better.

y4mmoQI0vWSbdXQPvFIdauiJSUruzcHy7HO576Q0

y4miaslQeszPJl1cvUNwmOosGDPvQRJ7z71q72se

y4mD5LD5lhiVeMmoleD42S4aqZry0CBhN32QCvdl

y4mXdsV3zOP_SUz0N3vnw_CmwY6J3qmaHJdo_w5J

The doors open, it has a classic fake piston engine, Ackermann steering and with 15x22x30=9900, it's just within bounds.
The model is quite simple, but everything works and is strong enough to be played without too much care. It survives a table fall with grace.

Thanks for watching!

I love the bigger size, and the crane looks much better. Are you able to move the rear axle back at all? That rear overhang is a touch too long. Also, the hood could use a little more refining to my eyes, but the overall improvement is great.

5 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

I love the bigger size, and the crane looks much better. Are you able to move the rear axle back at all? That rear overhang is a touch too long. Also, the hood could use a little more refining to my eyes, but the overall improvement is great.

Thanks for your message! I totally agree. My Idea was to mock up 8854 on that: crane right on top of the rear axle. I added the outriggers module after I had those built. And it ended being too long in the back.
Yeah, not only the hood could be improved, the whole cabin is coarse. Even more: the crane part needs better thinking; I have this boom to use since that's the plan, and the only actuators I have are the very small one of the first iteration, which is too weak to use in a crane (it clicks and stops moving when overloaded) and the bigger one of the second version, which is almost as big as the boom itself. I started with the actuator nice and vertical as the pneumatics in 8854, but this lead to a much too tall crane part. I then gave it an angle to win a couple studs, but the result is a bad tradeoff. I want a good solution instead.

2 hours ago, Jurss said:

I like this. It is somehow cute.

Thanks! Reminds me of what I say to my kids when they show me their work and it's a bit clumsy but at least they tried.. And I totally agree with that :)

Looks like someone took a cute little crane truck and did a offroad makeover on it. I like it!

That tiny cabin with widened fenders, new front bumper and larger wheels is almost comical, and it is perfect! Gives the model a real original look!

And the improvements to the crane are very good, but is it possible to make a longer, or 3 stage boom?

May I suggest something like this?

14072011268.jpg

This is a very old crane for a unimog, using old pneumatics and a chain for extending the 3rd segment. It should be possible to build much more compact using string rather than chain, and dropping the pneumatics.

_ED_

13 minutes ago, Nazgarot said:

Looks like someone took a cute little crane truck and did a offroad makeover on it. I like it!

That tiny cabin with widened fenders, new front bumper and larger wheels is almost comical, and it is perfect! Gives the model a real original look!

And the improvements to the crane are very good, but is it possible to make a longer, or 3 stage boom?

May I suggest something like this?

This is a very old crane for a unimog, using old pneumatics and a chain for extending the 3rd segment. It should be possible to build much more compact using string rather than chain, and dropping the pneumatics.

_ED_

Thanks for your message and the suggestion! I was thinking of using some scissor style structure, but 3 stage is also an option indeed.

I scrapped the whole thing again yesterday.
I went for a narrower and shorter chassis, simpler crane part (so I dropped the idea of additional telescopic complexity in favor of sturdiness) and reworked the outriggers module.

I'm finally coming up to something I'm really satisfied with.

y4m1_6t28eNcczWVvnyI3xdtI2TjB2Lju_1tMnKK

y4mfgjxR8MYzIKPsqz3DnYSQzJc43JwNF_kGZN81

Crane looks much better.

But You don't have to change cabin, it really looks cute, in a good meaning.

I like all the different iterations. The rear end of the truck looks much more balanced now. And I like the cabin so far.

7 hours ago, Jurss said:

Crane looks much better.

But You don't have to change cabin, it really looks cute, in a good meaning.

Thanks!
I think you'll like the new version even better. At least I do.

I seized the opportunity offered by that big amount of space under the cab to also connect the steering wheel: it now has both working steering wheel and HOG.

I managed to shape the cab to give it a bit more of that 8854 touch, and a bit less of that cute/clumsy feel.

y4mMRjYBX5AdBOyP-WSOuOBmoQkujthzg46aj_GU

y4mP_bnY-hxKgKzGnYLTkHWiPRFYohB-g1LLXxTN

y4mYNJqjoRtniF42-x0Wx7f5ImwTxB_2-kMEA5Jm

y4msWS5xY3BUxsgvZ9lUIJ-0S16S31G7e1oSFBkA

y4m3tGEl3-YU-hWcr07LLm_6h5YGSmmsEIMV8DIV

Dimensions now are 15 x 24 x 27 = 9720

This time I feel happy with the result. All functions work flawlessly (equal or better than official sets).
It has been quite a burden to restart 3 times, but definitely worth the effort.

Thanks for watching!

2 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

I like all the different iterations. The rear end of the truck looks much more balanced now. And I like the cabin so far.

Thanks! And now that it's finished?

Good to see the evolution of this model. I think you're certainly going in a good direction. The bigger wheels are much better. Also good to see you worked an engine in there.

One thing I don't really like is how small the boom is.  It feels out of proportion with the rest. If you check the original set, the crane is what extends forward the most, even beyond the cabin. So I would suggest using regular parts to build a boom, instead of using the prefab element.