Small updates, in an effort to earn the name "Power" in the title:
- reinforcement of the chassis around the turntable
- HOG raised one stud to ease access and strengthen its structure
- color swap of the H-shaped modified liftarms for red ones in the boom
- embedded a weighted brick to increase maximum lift weight

73090a.jpg?1

Went for an outdoor photo session..

y4mh6Fxjj46KtkZbF6M6olmlF7aVujXYOxqLWetS

Next photo session will cover heavy weight lifting.
To be continued!

Edited by 1980SomethingSpaceGuy

With the weighted brick in the front, the model now weights 691g.

y4mc45pBXl519Vn4leohg1kwXnJFx5OyVfl-fiIU

A couple details were refined and strengthened to maximise weight lifting capacity.
For example the boom lift bevel just above the differential (removed in the photo below) is now prevented from moving down by a thin liftarm triangle.
Note that with the transmission on the left, the outriggers' stopped axle for the worm gear on the right and the boom lift bevel in the middle, the differential is tightly packed.

y4mVwK6MFdg5YVbldX8VxlQi8wmfp8Mqufiasl8z

One PF battery box, when full, weight just above 210g.
Which is about what this MOC is confortable lifting in any configuration, the most challenging being with the boom horizontal and fully extended.

y4me9enld84Hu5Nyj3X6D-4WlCovvGLKjYWESVur

With an additional weighted brick, the load gets up to 270g.
This is enough to lift the front wheels off the ground, but all features remain perfectly useable.
Roughly, this MOC is able to lift half its own weight at maximal extent of the boom, which is generally better than real-life cranes.

y4mR5x246vcq_0-8saGFL1fwFbssJqclAsBW98gz

Finally, in the most favorable configuration (load close to the outriggers), it can lift more than one time its own weight.
Which I must admit is kind of a requirement my engineer mind sets when building a Lego crane...
Three battery boxes, two L motors and connecting bricks together weight over 700g.

y4masWG7w6YAjUfrKRvTVZSj0K5Nh8cDR_tmnCm8

Next post will be a short video on the features. Cheers!

Impressive last picture. It is giving everything it has!

Nice job. Compact and refined.

l wanted to show some action with this MOC, with a full cycle from packed and drive ready to lifting configuration and back. The video ended a bit longer than expected, but at least it covers the essential. Enjoy!

On 5/23/2022 at 1:42 PM, JoKo said:

Impressive last picture. It is giving everything it has!

Nice job. Compact and refined.

Thanks!

I updated the entry pictures after a request from the admins to avoid dioramas.

y4mZd0gOEIw5Yu1yfdpVRK5l4mYPwHCoVALOGwPK

y4mgISGtwZjkxxUS_sWqm33d9IU-zPhDCUYKYIs2

A couple of minor color swap had happened which I deemed didn't deserve another photo shooting, but now they're in too.

Also, the sound was not good on the original video (chair moving, cars passing) so I replaced it with music. Afterwards, as I was looking at other videos for this TC, I realized the original sound, even if not perfect, is in fact useful to spot gear cracking or other details. I have none of those in this MOC, but it would have been nice not to only have my word for it. Next time, I'll leave it be. It's the first time I produce a video showing actual Technic features, sorry about that.

Thanks for watching!

Love the first picture.
It has that 1950s Chevy COE truck feel, which I like very much.

1 hour ago, Milan said:

Love the first picture.
It has that 1950s Chevy COE truck feel, which I like very much.

Hm... someone is reading every post in forum...:look:

It seems there is a consensus towards this Chevy COE truck.. :laugh:

There is some resemblance indeed, especially around the wheel arches, but it definitely was not my source of inspiration for this MOC.
Something I think matches the kind of design I aimed at is the present day Peugeot face style:

1200-L-peugeot-citroen-et-toyota-devoile

It has this short, rounded hood over a forward leaning grid.

On 5/31/2022 at 7:39 PM, 1gor said:

Hm... someone is reading every post in forum...:look:

Yeah, this model looks like the 50's Chevy to both of us :thumbup:

11 hours ago, 1980SomethingSpaceGuy said:

Something I think matches the kind of design I aimed at is the present day Peugeot face style:

Yep, after seeing your picture, it can be the Peugeot, too :laugh:

Weather is becoming hot and I figured this little crane could use a radiator fan.

y4mRUMwcvYAayMiq-B7jXq9Me3_cB1spyzLJmPNQ

y4mgAbdOtj3eu8uzFUd8kunuPUupxAB8SGrdxgh2

y4mg2rqND8MTZ5YS4Qzdlmke7JRW6V8-wVLo_w19

y4mU4Y6Qu6AIcb4fiK90QB3ZaWgdo8jGg3ERmQdp

y4muriisnJfG0LPkONYeWFIwAUHdxUa5UONo7WNi

To implement this, I had to extend the engine shaft forward, then use a band to get around the direction and drive the fan.
I really wanted to use this fan piece because it looks quite nice, but it's not meant to be driven. So to get it moving, it has a 4L wand stuck inside, which is then used as an axle with the help of a half bush and half pins.
The propeller cone was intersecting with the grid, so I had to accommodate. The grid now has a little hump protruding in front, but it's also exactly where the hook rests against the grid, so I combined this with a cushion such as this modification serves two purposes.
Finally, to have it rotate in the correct direction, I had to invert the differential, along with everything next to it.

I think I achieved a decent level of detail, quality of build and playability.
With Lego, I design and build toys, because in my mind, that's what Lego are best at. If I wanted a race car, I'd go full RC. If I wanted an accurate model, I'd go into modelism. It makes absolutely no sense to me to build something out of Lego that can't even bare its own weight, or implement impractical features. My MOCs have to be fun to play, not just look nice on a shelf.

Anyway, it's always fun to take part in these TCs. I think the quality of my entries is improving and so is my satisfaction. Looking forward the next one! 

Thank you so much for supporting this little revamp of a Lego Technic classic !