This is just my opinion, but I actually liked the smaller one more. Yes the wheels are a tad too small, but Lego has new 37mm tires since a few years: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=35578#T=C&C=11

Similar in style to his brother from the 80's even, which might be a good fit.

The small LA could perhaps work better with a different geometry instead of a 3x3 liftarm, a 3x5 liftarm for example, so it's further from the pivot point, which should improve its power.

I like the new fake engine you put on the new version, but the whole model feels too short and/or too high to me. The dead space between the crane and the cabin makes me feel that way especially. I think the whole cabin and crane lowered by 3-4 studs would improve this. Swap the big LA for 2 mini-LA's perhaps if this causes space problems? I also agree with Erik that the boom is too short.

I didn't mean any offence with this, it's still a cute thing, but just personally I think it could be a little better, so I hope you appreciate the feedback.

Edited by Appie

6 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Good to see the evolution of this model. I think you're certainly going in a good direction. The bigger wheels are much better. Also good to see you worked an engine in there.

One thing I don't really like is how small the boom is.  It feels out of proportion with the rest. If you check the original set, the crane is what extends forward the most, even beyond the cabin. So I would suggest using regular parts to build a boom, instead of using the prefab element.

Thanks for your message! 

You're absolutely right, the boom definitely is too small now. But I decided to use it in this project, so I won't just replace it. 

The first attempt was correct in this matter, but then the vehicle itself was too small for the features to be satisfying.

I've been thinking about using the boom as an actuator for another, bigger boom. But my mock ups so far are way too large. 

I ended liking it the way it is: it has a cartoonish style and in that perspective, the discrepancy in size with the boom kinda works.

I still have some time before the end line, maybe I'll figure out a better solution. 

On 4/29/2022 at 7:14 PM, Appie said:

This is just my opinion, but I actually liked the smaller one more. Yes the wheels are a tad too small, but Lego has new 37mm tires since a few years: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=35578#T=C&C=11

Similar in style to his brother from the 80's even, which might be a good fit.

The small LA could perhaps work better with a different geometry instead of a 3x3 liftarm, a 3x5 liftarm for example, so it's further from the pivot point, which should improve its power.

I like the new fake engine you put on the new version, but the whole model feels too short and/or too high to me. The dead space between the crane and the cabin makes me feel that way especially. I think the whole cabin and crane lowered by 3-4 studs would improve this. Swap the big LA for 2 mini-LA's perhaps if this causes space problems? I also agree with Erik that the boom is too short.

I didn't mean any offence with this, it's still a cute thing, but just personally I think it could be a little better, so I hope you appreciate the feedback.

Thanks for the message! I know it's not perfect, so a bit of constructive criticism is more than welcome! 

Yes, I know about these tyres, I would have loved to use them, but I only have one, from a city set (snow groomer). I could indeed use 2 small LAs, but there too: I only have one. In fact, all my Technic parts pool holds in one 40cm cube box, and I wanted to make do with what I have this time.

Regarding the wheel span, it's modeled after 8854 and anyway, I couldn't grow in size without exceeding the volume limit. And the height is dictated by the large LA, which guess what? I also have only one. :pir-murder:

Anyway, thanks again for your feedback, it pretty much matches my thoughts on this MOC. Maybe I'll find a way to improve some of the discussed aspects before submitting. 

Cheers! 

Edited by 1980SomethingSpaceGuy

I found a way to improve 2 of the obvious downsides at the same time; the boom was too short and located too high.
I created an additional section to the boom; it allows the LA to be attached to the upper part of the boom structure, and then to lower the latter by 3 studs.
In turn, I lowered the cab roof by one stud.

Altogether, I think it's an improvement: the thing looks a bit less straight out of a cartoon.

y4m73ttQ2TAH_Ix_G_M3wcyubmx3NcPJWsQvO9ZZ

y4m3M4t71N23aY-5GGvKI7xTGFrAOWtF_D6kYd3E

y4moG6YPcu_Wy-urWQz8xGNbW9m5UGu9r7D4YcB_

y4mTfTKfSWtviTl8zx5k9g0YJvDa71pJFZKr_AWq

Thanks for watching!

I like it alot more now, good job! 

One minor suggestion is when the crane is lowered, to have the hook in front of the cabin hooked on the bumper/bottom of the grill instead of behind the cabin. With the crane being longer, that looks more natural to me. 

I'd say it's a great improvement. :thumbup: Proportions look much better and more serious now.

Although there's a lot of beams there at the start of the boom. And that area happens tobe around 3 x 7 studs. What if you'd use those red 3x7 curved panels on the start of the boom instead of on the superstructure? That might give a cleaner look.  But that would use up the panels and leave the superstructure open. Maybe you could use a few black panels there?  Also I'm not sure if it's even possible structurally. Maybe there's then no way to connect everything. I don't know, I'm just throwing some ideas out there :)

13 hours ago, Appie said:

I like it alot more now, good job! 

One minor suggestion is when the crane is lowered, to have the hook in front of the cabin hooked on the bumper/bottom of the grill instead of behind the cabin. With the crane being longer, that looks more natural to me. 

Yes indeed! I can afford it now that I have lowered the boom. I much prefer this stance too. (it was in the middle to save length).

12 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

I'd say it's a great improvement. :thumbup: Proportions look much better and more serious now.

Although there's a lot of beams there at the start of the boom. And that area happens tobe around 3 x 7 studs. What if you'd use those red 3x7 curved panels on the start of the boom instead of on the superstructure? That might give a cleaner look.  But that would use up the panels and leave the superstructure open. Maybe you could use a few black panels there?  Also I'm not sure if it's even possible structurally. Maybe there's then no way to connect everything. I don't know, I'm just throwing some ideas out there :)

Totally agree. This part was looking rough. I reworked it using these:
14720.png
They allowed to keep it to 5 studs wide.
I couldn't fit no panels here so I applied tiles. I think that does the job.

y4mFH0mhPu__ph02qYSLRMpkzKd5-UHy31tjUB1v

2 hours ago, 1980SomethingSpaceGuy said:

I couldn't fit no panels here so I applied tiles. I think that does the job.

Nice solution, looks great :)

Spent some time improving details; a few color and brick swaps here and there. Also added a hatch.

y4mf7NuR3s1kA_q_qqhWClYM_bZzyGL_bC1ECTs8

It's getting close to finished now...

This MOC seems really good! The multiple iterations clearly go in the right direction towards a very nice little rolling crane! I remember when I was in high school, one of my friend had the #8854 and we had much fun building and rebuilding the A and B models together. Fond memories...

You did well with changing the wheels: the first ones were too small and it made the chassis quite low.

I like the fact that you added the rubber pads on the outriggers, by the way, it is a clever touch to add some stabilization effect. Do they lift the crane a little when deployed, by the way?

How many parts does this MOC include, roughly?

On 5/5/2022 at 10:12 PM, KevinMD said:

The crane portion looks much beefier now, looks great!

Thanks!

On 5/6/2022 at 10:17 AM, Celeri said:

This MOC seems really good! The multiple iterations clearly go in the right direction towards a very nice little rolling crane! I remember when I was in high school, one of my friend had the #8854 and we had much fun building and rebuilding the A and B models together. Fond memories...

You did well with changing the wheels: the first ones were too small and it made the chassis quite low.

I like the fact that you added the rubber pads on the outriggers, by the way, it is a clever touch to add some stabilization effect. Do they lift the crane a little when deployed, by the way?

How many parts does this MOC include, roughly?

Thanks a lot! :wink:
Yes, the outriggers lift the rear wheels by a couple millimeters, and the rubber pads help with the grip. Regarding brick count, I'd say we're about 600 parts, roughly. 

I added mirrors. There used to be kind of a gap there. In the process, I widened the windshield, the roof and the upper cab by one stud.

y4m1Ea3qSL6v6xJuooaj4qpqweIdMVjg6lgNBi9C

y4mWD0z9jaKGUV5gC06JZgMjQsl5pSRrvS3Fw9B0

Thanks for watching!

I have to say I’ve loved reading though this thread. It’s great to read and see the evolution of this model, especially the decisions you’ve made along the way.

3 hours ago, Seasider said:

I have to say I’ve loved reading though this thread. It’s great to read and see the evolution of this model, especially the decisions you’ve made along the way.

Thanks! I've been a bit verbose on my updates and there have been quite a few.. Glad if it's not too boring.

This has been a very fun journey : I'm happy to participate in this TC, but I also had objectives of my own. I really wanted to use this prefabricated boom and pay tribute to a model that marked my childhood. This MOC had to be on par in terms of quality, functions, sturdiness and style with TLG official sets and thus be fun to use so that my son can enjoy it too. I'm happy with the result. It has character, plenty of play features and can endure rough treatment. 

It’s getting harder to see the changes, which tells me the design is getting more cohesive. Great job!

On 5/8/2022 at 2:13 AM, Thirdwigg said:

It’s getting harder to see the changes, which tells me the design is getting more cohesive. Great job!

Yes, I had the same feeling. Thanks!

A few updates, I think they'll be final.
- superstructure got all red
- detailed interior with working steering wheel, seats, gear stick, pedal, gauges, indicator lever, fire extinguisher and a beverage can
- added a toolbox in the back containing a fake remote controller
- modified the front of the cab to get rid of flexion and consolidate the structure

y4mb4h75-Ht37u3MOY8V0Io7r43VPsuuIIP2hAT0

y4m3-L-gnUrmx2c-u_muD6cNC9SWgeGzwn0T06-6

The top view has to be my favorite. I enjoy designing: it may take a lot of iterations before anything looks right, but sometimes, the plan eventually comes together so well that it exceeds expectations.
From up there, I find the curves quite harmonic. It almost looks like a spaceship! SPACESHIP! Hmm, sorry.

y4mfAU5AbPf1D07XemtC3So18T6O7kOqHdAsocCj

y4m1Sz2SBXB2Rx6j9IROu4na4WyP5QJpjLDnj7j1

y4mctblhV2m2PQA8Zb2PCwqKo-lW0RzOLb8PY93p

y4me2UyE50gWKXJtK7JWd-vg9gUBoer71Mu0Cnut

Final size is 14.5 x 22 x 31 = 9889

y4m0-VdD-eIeTRf8B_Wg3a9o7_tw18BRhPeDEGWg

Link to entry post here

Thanks for watching!

Really great model, I think it will do well in the contest!

In the end, the only thing that bothers me are the yellow bushes in the wheels... I would have put LBG ones, but maybe it is some reference to something I do not get?

38 minutes ago, Celeri said:

Really great model, I think it will do well in the contest!

In the end, the only thing that bothers me are the yellow bushes in the wheels... I would have put LBG ones, but maybe it is some reference to something I do not get?

Thanks! We'll see; often play features and originality are less important than resemblance to a real life model in these contests.

Yes indeed, the yellow bushes are meant to remind of the 8854:

y4mDDNf4xOWps6pAzDG8sMxWBH0f_zcXwlvMekEs
y4mZz-72xTqikk9trDL71DklJa-Y7EmjNMnLrp3X

I don't have yellow rims and I'm not sure I would use them anyway. But a discrete touch of yellow there does the trick without spoiling the rest, in my opinion.

Final version is much much improved in comparison to starting version. Cab reminds me a bit on COE Chevy 

800px-1952_Chevrolet_COE_(15033586240).j

Thanks! Yes, a touch of neo retro is definitely on purpose. But I hope the proportions of my model are a bit less off than this Chevy custom...:laugh:

16 hours ago, 1980SomethingSpaceGuy said:

Thanks! Yes, a touch of neo retro is definitely on purpose. But I hope the proportions of my model are a bit less off than this Chevy custom...:laugh:

Yes they are more "everyday" proportions, than that pimped custom

It was interesting to watch the progress of this model. Great design, it would fit perfectly in the animated film "Cars" :thumbup:

Small update here:
- improved the routing of the rope on the tip of the boom
- smoothened a few details on the front side with the help of system bricks (10 of them)
- strengthened the chassis and better filled the gap behind the wheel arches
- raised the engine block by one stud to make it flush with the bottom of the chassis

y4mtJW8uml9LrfT2UtdRHXxFrrmJMjOPPqadW9eY

y4msVfbnBbp4JoRZcML-cA41HL4lSJCztRpcEjCd

y4mQfJCrlrwDoYoS4GawQ1LxvuWnhrUWkg6guG-o

y4mit6ueQDASFBKaKBzo02TmYhhm6uhVJmKxewCi

y4mBllIVQOSaHNANIZa-xGJBD81bVEQRO5hpSWM1

y4m5C51pognQD8nKMSoskMySNtWzsog6m0_GR7mR

y4mHkA1wIGNeyOtGv4d83l414Fy_hdZcYvnzq2oY

y4mrQRgSXl8nPCwPwOLbccTcyhSTcnDjuVkrqhg3

y4mwCBZXyfJt_y9qL00U64FHZnBYyR7vujsHg5rh

I'll be updating entry photos soon, and maybe I'll also record a small video.

Thanks for watching!

It looks better and better with each iteration. Really like it, despite "unusual" cabin. :classic:

On 5/14/2022 at 7:46 PM, Akassin said:

It was interesting to watch the progress of this model. Great design, it would fit perfectly in the animated film "Cars" :thumbup:

Thanks! Yes, it looks a bit like it could be Martin's grandchild... :laugh:

12 hours ago, Mikdun said:

It looks better and better with each iteration. Really like it, despite "unusual" cabin. :classic:

Thank you! I wanted to stick close to 8854's look and feel, which do not match any present day vehicle, so I went with a neo-retro design. This helped unusual proportions to blend into a fresh drawing.
I like the result too; it matches no existing vehicle, but still is realistic enough. Utility vehicles are meant to be efficient, so their design is often very straightforward, sometimes quite boring. I wanted this one to be on the fun side.