Monkeyulize

Custom UCS Stickers

I've developed a new way of making these graphics and I plan to release a tutorial at some point in the future, but here's the latest rendition:

rect8483134.png

Original post:

Spoiler

I've been working off and on for a few days to try and make a custom UCS-style sticker for my TIE Phantom.  I took the general approach of:

1. render in studio
  2. image trace in Inkscape (also tried it inverted)
  3. use the render as base layer and put a blue transparent filter on top
  4. layer the image trace on top of that

This looks okay but I was wondering if anyone had a better approach or techniques.  It just looks kind of sloppy when looking at the finer details.

sticker3.png

With inverted image trace:

sticker4.png

I also realize some people do sell these so I understand if they don't want to give away their trade secrets lol

Edited by Monkeyulize

I'm glad people liked the first once since that's the one I ordered.  I'm fairly happy with how they turned out but the sticker fits on the 8x16 with almost no tolerance so it's quite hard to get perfect.  The next batch will be more forgivable.

PXL_20220424_191816773.jpg

I'm a bit into UCS. Three things come to my mind with your stickers :

- make STAR WARS (and maybe the rest of the writing) a bit closer to the upper edge

- clean the reflection on the windscreen to make the model look more sharp

- print on a glossy paper

16 hours ago, Anio said:

I'm a bit into UCS. Three things come to my mind with your stickers :

- make STAR WARS (and maybe the rest of the writing) a bit closer to the upper edge

- clean the reflection on the windscreen to make the model look more sharp

- print on a glossy paper

Good points, I placed an order with a new vendor today that actually showed me the dimensions of the die cut vs the safe area so I was able to get the text closer to the edge.  I also ordered glossy this time so hopefully it will be more vibrant.

I found the right type of sticker to order from StickerYou - a kiss-cut white vinyl glossy removable sticker.  The edges weren't curled and the printing is 'pretty' good (still slightly blotchy but maybe a bigger font could help with that).

PXL_20220627_123455216.jpg

If you're not careful you'll end up opening a business lol.

The UK firm I've been buying my UCS Stickers from is giving me a pair of freebies for my TIE/d MOC :)

I created several for my MOCs

BB-9E
R5-D4

Too bad i have an awful printer and its "black" ink is more of a very very dark grey colour :-(

Edited by gololo

After quite a bit more experimentation I got a result that's much closer to what actual UCS stickers look like:

rect8483134.png

Edited by Monkeyulize

Hi Monkeyulize,

I'm a newbie here on Eurobricks and cannot DM yet.  My skills are lacking in being able to make one of these stickers for myself; I've purchased stickers from others for the various non-Lego brand UCS sets out there - Mould King, or other MOCs that I've built - when I've been able to find them for sale anywhere around the world.  Usually for a reasonable price including shipping to the US.  I cannot seem to find any versions of the sticker for "First Order Shuttle" aka "Kylo Ren's Shuttle" - the Mould King 21011 set.  Are you interested in being commissioned to design it?  Obviously, once you've designed it, you could be selling it not just to me, but to any others interested on eBay or elsewhere...  

Not sure if you'll see this given the thread is over a year old, but you can also email me at tjs2000@gmail.com in case we don't connect here.  Thank you!

On 9/15/2022 at 12:55 PM, Monkeyulize said:

After quite a bit more experimentation I got a result that's much closer to what actual UCS stickers look like:

rect8483134.png

3 hours ago, Tjs2000 said:

Hi Monkeyulize,

I'm a newbie here on Eurobricks and cannot DM yet.  My skills are lacking in being able to make one of these stickers for myself; I've purchased stickers from others for the various non-Lego brand UCS sets out there - Mould King, or other MOCs that I've built - when I've been able to find them for sale anywhere around the world.  Usually for a reasonable price including shipping to the US.  I cannot seem to find any versions of the sticker for "First Order Shuttle" aka "Kylo Ren's Shuttle" - the Mould King 21011 set.  Are you interested in being commissioned to design it?  Obviously, once you've designed it, you could be selling it not just to me, but to any others interested on eBay or elsewhere...  

Not sure if you'll see this given the thread is over a year old, but you can also email me at tjs2000@gmail.com in case we don't connect here.  Thank you!

I'd be happy to give it a shot. The only thing is its preferable to have a digital model so that I can get the best angle. Long shot, but you don't happen to have a stud.io file for this model do you? Otherwise I would need the instructions to build it digitally and do the render.

On 11/29/2023 at 8:36 AM, Tjs2000 said:

Hi Monkeyulize,

I went ahead and used one of the images on Mould King's website to take a stab at this. What do you think? 

ucs%20sticker%20watermark.png