BatteryPoweredBricks

The last guide you will need to repair Lego Train 9v Connectors

I have seen many guides on replacing the wire for a Lego Train 9v connector but I've never been satisfied with them (at least the ones I've seen).  After searching (not necessarily actively) for almost 10 years I've finally found the best wire to use.  For these connectors I don't use a soldering iron at all, just a pair of wire cutters, 2mm and 2.5mm flat head and a small phillips head screw driver.  For added bonus points I even used the ferrite noise suppression choke.  I tend to ramble a bit but there is a lot of years of experience I'm trying to get out in these videos  :pir_laugh2:

The wire is somewhat expensive, but is absolutely perfect for the job.  It is a 6 conductor wire which can be split into 3 pairs, after the split it works out to about 44 cents per foot (less if you purchase the bigger roll of wire, which I have not tested).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PPT11QN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Any constructive criticism is welcome, I'm still trying to find my footing when it comes to making YouTube content.  These videos are for the Lego community so your opinions are important to me.

UPDATE:  After a year and a half I've created an updated video for repairing wires.  It covers far more than just the train wires but each type of wire has a dedicated chapter.  I think it explains things a lot better and is more tightly edited.

The original video is still up which is the video below.

Edited by BatteryPoweredBricks

Brilliant! You're going to inspire me to try this on all my frayed 9V connectors. Just need to find the same wire type here in Australia.

Wonderful!!!

This is really cool. The most difficult part is, as far as I am concerned, opening a 9V device without "breaking it" to the extent of not being able to reassemble them. So the clue is how to do this. Brute force always works - and then one may even figure out from the debris how it was holding in place.

I thus would be so nice to show how to open a 9V device, as you did. The rotation sensor for example is a rather delicate piece - I ruined one to see how it is clamped.

Videos showing the "opening" of 9V devices are of rather high value - maybe even for more folks than just me.

Thanks (a lot) for sharing!

Best,
Thorsten

Thanks for all the kind words everyone :classic:, I was very happy to finally find a good solution and be able to share it with the AFOL community.

14 hours ago, Toastie said:

Wonderful!!!

This is really cool. The most difficult part is, as far as I am concerned, opening a 9V device without "breaking it" to the extent of not being able to reassemble them. So the clue is how to do this. Brute force always works - and then one may even figure out from the debris how it was holding in place.

I thus would be so nice to show how to open a 9V device, as you did. The rotation sensor for example is a rather delicate piece - I ruined one to see how it is clamped.

Videos showing the "opening" of 9V devices are of rather high value - maybe even for more folks than just me.

Thanks (a lot) for sharing!

Best,
Thorsten

I have a ton of sensors I could experiment on.  If I do end up doing a video on opening sensors I'll post it in my Mindstorms repair forum post.

i dont even have 9v track connectors to begin with. i just wedge two wires between connected sections of track.

Nice work. Old computer ribbon cables are cheaper or free if you don't mind the grey colour.

15 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

Nice work. Old computer ribbon cables are cheaper or free if you don't mind the grey colour.

That's a good idea.  They do have black ribbon cables but that probably came about later, after IDE drives started using smaller 80 conductor wire.  I think I still have a black floppy cable that could work, I'll have to look.

Thanks for sharing!  I bought a used 9V system a few years back and those wires are starting to flake - this will be very useful!

And I'll second the BNTECHGO wire, the silicone insulation is very durable, flexible, and easy to work with.  I've used their 20 gauge wire to power third-party controls to run both PF and PU motors - works great!

Update!

Not long after uploading these videos the price of the wire went down significantly!   The 50 foot rolls are now $30 which is what I paid for a 25 foot roll before.  Again you get three pairs so a 50ft roll nets you 150ft of 9v wire (although 50ft will have the gray markings on one side).  I ordered two 50ft rolls just in case the price changes again :pir_laugh2:.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PPSKVNN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Thanks for the video. Now, I'm trying to fix my old 9V wires collection. I used this small base to make it easier and safer. It is a strong base made with lego bricks and some thin metal parts that hold the connector top part and let the bottom part go down when we hit it.

uc?export=view&id=1Qy7SJ7OjEuQ3YXlphnyTk

uc?export=view&id=18GcSTwoWjWK1HXNH7USvf

I used it 18 times. In 14 of then the result was perfect. In 4 of them, the bottom part broke in one side as you can see here:

uc?export=view&id=1oAY6ucj_Y_n_jDVAx9LrC

I think it is possible to improve that by using some stuff below the connector, that don't allow for a very large angle when the bottom part goes out. But now I have no more connectors to try it!
uc?export=view&id=1EdicUosABONdssdeTWXfr