Enigma1612

Need help identifying the trains and getting an idea about the value

Dear community members and train experts,

I have recently got my hands on the following lot that includes a bunch of trains and would really be thankful if someone could identify those for me and give me an idea about their value. I understand that the picture quality is not the best but as I will pick the LEGO up in 2 weeks this is all I can provide right now.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Züge.jpg

First off, I'm very jealous.

Second, I can't find my jaw on the floor... I dropped it somewhere around here!

Third: Somebody more experienced with selling can help with actual numbers, but here is what I see with links to Bricklink for everything discussed:

Metroliner reboot or the original (original has printed stripes on the big doors) is worth several hundred dollars or higher in just in one copy, and you have more than one. Santa Fe Super Chief with dining, observation, or sleeping cars and the mail or baggage are very hard to find sets and are at least worth $1,000 in US currency (even if you cut out the multiple diesel loco copies and custom cars, it's a lot) You have ta few of the My Own Train series, including 2x Passenger Wagon (more might be possible with the MOC's at the bottom is disassembled and rearranged into the set form) a caboose, and a hopper wagon. You also have quite a few MOC's / MOD's of actual sets, such as this 12v version of a TGV , which I recognize the color scheme of near the top of frame. You also seem to have two of this set's engine (and maybe cars too), along with another freight set, yet another freight set, and finally: a freight set from the end of 9v. The 9v track is also hard to find when it comes to straights, curves not so much.

That's just tip of the iceberg: there is so much more but I can't tell what it is. Good luck @Enigma1612 on getting this all straightened out and returned to it's original set-form!

@JopieK, what do you think about the value? (I'm tagging you because I don't know who else to ask... I don't sell, I accumulate!)

Edited by Murdoch17

Wow, that picture'll make every 9v enthusiast drool with joy.  That really is everything, or really close to it.  I have more Santa Fe locos, I think, but if I were you, I'd keep my address off the net, in case I wanted to know where I could double the size of my collection.  :wub_drool:  (I'm not promising to refrain from tracking you down. ...)  (Same reason I keep my address hidden. ...)

It does look like there are some mocs there. ...  That's a *very* *very* nice assortment. 

I don't really know how much they're worth.  I'm not good about these things.  But I will say that if you offered them to me with a price in the low 4 digits I'd be looking at my bank account very, very carefully.  It's a yummy collection & I wish it were going to me.

this lot is insane! i think you have stumbled upon a gold mine there. i cant seem to find my jaw either might need to look downstairs 

We need some background on why someone who had such a collection, kept in such good shape, is letting go of them!

Like everyone else has said, that is one heck of a collection. I suspect it’s an urban myth, but it’s all edged an Irish sports commentator was rather surprised by a goal in a particular game and blurted out “____ me pink it’s a goal!” Kinda sums up my reaction, that’s some goal you scored with that lot! 

Hello everyone,

well, first of all thanks a lot for the detailed description and help with identifying what the lot contains. This is actually just a small part of the total haul. In total it's a truck load full of LEGO and to show my appreciation for the help I will talk a bit about the background and how this came to be. A contact I have was recently talking to me and told me that a colleague of his has a huge LEGO collection he wants to sell. The reason was kinda sad because the LEGO belonged to his father who was a huge Train fan and collected LEGO for over 20 years, accumulating a lot of sets from various themes. Unfortunately he suffered a stroke and did not recover, the son has no attachment to LEGO and told me that his father was kinda addicted to LEGO and invited me to check out the collection. Well, let's just say, that I have never seen so much LEGO in one place. Just skimming the collection I spotted at least 3 Monorails, half a dozen old pirate ships, sealed old Fabuland sets, at least 7 old castles, 2x Emerald Nights (basically the only train I recognize), a lot of old modulars and the list goes on and on.

He offered me the complete collection and I just couldn't resist, not even knowing how much the train part is worth. Without the unfortunate event, his father would have never parted with the trains but now it ended up with me and I have a lot of sorting to do....

The information you provided was very helpful and if anyone is interested in some of the things shown here, I will post again with more detailed pictures once the trains are here, cleaned and properly assembled - as I said, this is not everything he got.

Thanks again all and have a great day!

P.S.: I found another picture from the haul which I am not able to post due to the file size limit that has another train with "MAERSK" on the side as well as two Emerald Nights on it.

Edited by Enigma1612

2 hours ago, Enigma1612 said:

Hello everyone,

well, first of all thanks a lot for the detailed description and help with identifying what the lot contains. This is actually just a small part of the total haul. In total it's a truck load full of LEGO and to show my appreciation for the help I will talk a bit about the background and how this came to be. A contact I have was recently talking to me and told me that a colleague of his has a huge LEGO collection he wants to sell. The reason was kinda sad because the LEGO belonged to his father who was a huge Train fan and collected LEGO for over 20 years, accumulating a lot of sets from various themes. Unfortunately he suffered a stroke and did not recover, the son has no attachment to LEGO and told me that his father was kinda addicted to LEGO and invited me to check out the collection. Well, let's just say, that I have never seen so much LEGO in one place. Just skimming the collection I spotted at least 3 Monorails, half a dozen old pirate ships, sealed old Fabuland sets, at least 7 old castles, 2x Emerald Nights (basically the only train I recognize), a lot of old modulars and the list goes on and on.

He offered me the complete collection and I just couldn't resist, not even knowing how much the train part is worth. Without the unfortunate event, his father would have never parted with the trains but now it ended up with me and I have a lot of sorting to do....

The information you provided was very helpful and if anyone is interested in some of the things shown here, I will post again with more detailed pictures once the trains are here, cleaned and properly assembled - as I said, this is not everything he got.

Thanks again all and have a great day!

P.S.: I found another picture from the haul which I am not able to post due to the file size limit that has another train with "MAERSK" on the side and one with "LRTS" as well as two Emerald Nights on it.

Wow! Sorry to hear about the father, but it sounds like this amazing collection is going to where it will be appreciated more!

How about selling some (not all, remember the children!) and donate some of it to a Stroke / Heart / Lung foundation?

It would be nice to have some sort of event to showcase his LEGO to his honor. Something like that.

If you're gonna sell everything - Do not sell them in a lot. Sell them Train by train. You will earn more money that way. And be sure to dust off and take good photos if you sell it. Lego collectors are very itchy in regards to quality. I don't mind some bitemark and scratches, but some are very wary of that.

Great collection!!

@Murdoch17, I would not know exactly, but @Enigma1612 you sure hit the jackpot. You can easily see prices for Train sets on BrickLink. The controllers are Technic b.t.w., but you could use them for nine volt trains as well, but a few of them are 12V!

I can only speak for other themes I am more familiar with but usually a "revival" of a popular theme with new sets leads to increased, not diminished, demand for older sets from that theme.

Yes. I am selling everything. I am just not that heavy into trains and I am sure there are people out there that would appreciate the trains much mor than I do. I have also found 6 original sticker sheets for the Santa Fe waggons that are quite valuable as well I have been told. They are all complete, without missing stickers. In fact, I still have 7 original new sticker sheets for the Santa Fe trains.

Before I sell though, I will take the time to disassable, wash the bricks and check for missing pieces. In case anyone is interested in specific parts, please feel free to leave me a message beforehand so I can prioritize the work. Thanks a bunch and have fun!

Edited by Enigma1612