I want to participate in a contest again, I can't even remember the last time I joined...

Anyways, I chose to do a mini mobile crane since the new small turntable parts encouraged me to try something new. The vehicle will almost max out the build volume and I aim to keep it at 17x39x15 (9945 cubic studs). I plan to add an extending boom, a fake engine, HOG steering, a lifting mechanism for the boom, and turntable rotation. Here is my progress:

51993445878_f8e2abb95c_h.jpg

51993445973_7aa2e50551_b.jpg

-- TechnicRCRacer

9 hours ago, Jurss said:

Nice start!

How do You plan to connect (brace) crane to turntable?

I plan to plug it in to the top holes of the beam frame and brace it via the 5L lift arms on the sides.

21 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

I want to participate in a contest again, I can't even remember the last time I joined...

Anyways, I chose to do a mini mobile crane since the new small turntable parts encouraged me to try something new. The vehicle will almost max out the build volume and I aim to keep it at 17x39x15 (9945 cubic studs). I plan to add an extending boom, a fake engine, HOG steering, a lifting mechanism for the boom, and turntable rotation. Here is my progress:

51993445878_f8e2abb95c_h.jpg

51993445973_7aa2e50551_b.jpg

-- TechnicRCRacer

It looks great already. Do you know the part number of the gray curved gear racks?

12 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

5L lift arms

Halfbeams? It doesn't look, that there could fit fullbeam.

33 minutes ago, Jurss said:

Halfbeams? It doesn't look, that there could fit fullbeam.

You’re right, I didn’t pay much attention to that. I will use 5L half-beams.

I reduced the width to 13 studs since the original 17 stud width made the vehicle look ridiculous and reduced the usable height for the crane arm. I think this looks a lot better. Thoughts?

Mini Mobile Crane Progress 2

I attempted making the boom but it didn’t work out. The reduced width allows me to make a better boom and that is my next step.

The width of 13 studs looks more proportional. Are you using some real crane model as an example, or is it a sample image of a mobile crane? I look forward to continuing

Nice progress. Have you considered making the pistons move realistically? That is, with the outer two and inner two moving in pairs?

Update time!

I added the crane component. Here is the crane fully raised and extended. There are knobs in the back to control everything.

Mobile Crane Update

21 minutes ago, Jurss said:

Interesting retroish (steramlined) design at some sections.

My building style seems to have evolved to reflect retro stylings. I think that design language is really neat.

On 5/28/2022 at 3:10 AM, Thirdwigg said:

I’m happy you were able to finish it. Great job!

Thanks!