I really like this one. The shaping is great, I like the color scheme and the System touches to the bodywork, and it "feels" set-like.

I'm a bit worried about the tiny pneumatic pistons. Would thay have enough force to move the boom? Maybe I underestimate those pneumatics, but I suggest you test the arm functionality some time soon :)

Also, it will be quite the job tucking away all those hoses. Also, where will all the switches come?

6 hours ago, Void_S said:

@Akassin, just if you need pneumatic parts for Stud.io, feel free to take mine: https://bricksafe.com/files/Void_s/studio-models/42128 - American Tow Truck.io (V2 bug pump, V2 valves, V2 cylinders, all with working mount pin and axle holes and hose sokets made of bars). Great log loader BTW, I only afraid if the boom made of many small parts may appear too flex.

Thanks for the link. This will help a lot!
Now I'm only worried about one part - 32039, which SaperPL wrote about. The rest of the boom is very strong, it can withstand the weight of the tractor itself without bending, if you raise it.

1 hour ago, Seasider said:

@Akassin I noticed this has a central pivot in the vehicle for its steering. Does it have pendular suspension too?

Unfortunately, there was not enough space for this. The pump and pneumatic hoses occupy every free stud inside.

1 hour ago, Erik Leppen said:

I'm a bit worried about the tiny pneumatic pistons. Would thay have enough force to move the boom? Maybe I underestimate those pneumatics, but I suggest you test the arm functionality some time soon :)

This is the first thing I worried about when designing the boom. And I was almost sure that their power would not be enough. But I attached a weight approximately equal to the weight of the claws to the end of the boom, and the pneumatics did it!
After that, I moved the attachment points several times, so the final test can be done after the build is completed, but I hope everything will work correctly.

1 hour ago, Erik Leppen said:

Also, it will be quite the job tucking away all those hoses. Also, where will all the switches come?

They are already installed :wink:

10.jpg

Thanks everyone for the feedback
I was not happy with the fact that the back side was quite fragile, especially the attachment points of the system parts  (they could wobble and break off under load). Therefore, I completely disassembled the model, made changes and photographed several stages of assembly. Now the model can be taken by any part and it can withstand its own weight.
Now you can see where the switches will be and how the pneumatic hoses will be laid (3 hoses will be laid at the bottom, 1 in the central area)

17.jpg

An additional unplanned function has also appeared - opening the lid :head_back:

18.jpg

Edited by Akassin

So the construct is almost complete. Only minor decorative changes remain. The final size of the box is 8400 studs.
The sharp-angle version of the boom will remain final. Because part 24121 was too big for this scale.

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

Finished building the claws. Claws rotate 360 degrees. Rotation and opening are controlled by two knobs.

I also strengthened the bottom of the boom.

22.jpg

23.jpg

At the moment, the natural model is also fully built. It remains only to cut the hoses of the large pneumatic cylinders to the required length and lay them inside the machine.

Checked the performance of all pneumatics. Works great even with a load. The power reserve is quite large.
here is a photo of the current progress. For comparison, how small the model is - I put the wheel from the 42082 set next to it.

24.jpg

When warm sunny days come, I will do a photo shoot in nature and prepare the final photos for the competition.

I hope you will enjoy.

Edited by Akassin

It looks much better IRL (this is just my opinion). Somehow I would like to see it yellow because I favorize yellow machinery.

Again, I had to make changes to the design of the claws.
It all started with the fact that I could not use the axles to connect the 8t gear to the claws. Because the gears of opposite claws will always be rotated relative to each other at a different angle. Because of this, the claws had a different angle of rotation.
I was hoping to solve this problem with a 6L Bar (63965). Then it would be possible to align the opposite parts of the claws with each other. This is exactly what I did in the previous version. But under load, the claws began to rotate about the axis.
As a result, I completely abandoned the use of gears and decided to use an actuator.
Yes, unfortunately the new design is not so compact and simple. But it provides symmetry and works well.

25.jpg

26.jpg

10 hours ago, 1gor said:

Somehow I would like to see it yellow because I favorize yellow machinery.

Unfortunately I don't have the yellow parts. But I think it is possible to build it entirely in yellow.

Great job on the finished product. I confess the pneumatic hoses look cleaner than I thought they were going to; it looks tidy. I also like the change you made by adding the linear actuator to the grapping arms. It looks better, and I imagine works better than the first worm gear design. 

The white and black looks clean, but I do wish for a little more color. Maybe the outside pictures will change my mind. Again, great job. 

What are the final dimensions? 

47 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

Great job on the finished product. I confess the pneumatic hoses look cleaner than I thought they were going to; it looks tidy. I also like the change you made by adding the linear actuator to the grapping arms. It looks better, and I imagine works better than the first worm gear design. 

The white and black looks clean, but I do wish for a little more color. Maybe the outside pictures will change my mind. Again, great job. 

What are the final dimensions? 

Thanks for the comment. After changing the boom, it became a little smaller than I originally planned. The minimum box in which it can fit if the boom is lowered to the ground is 7524 studs (33x12x19)
In the "normal" position, when the boom is slightly raised and he can ride - 8712 (33x12x22).
About the color - I could add yellow rims to the wheels, but I didn't like this solution, in this case you need to do the whole body in yellow. I have a lot of red parts, but then I need to replace all the 15100 pins, because I don't have them in red and I'm not very sure about the red-yellow-black combination

here is a photo during the assembly process when I tried the yellow wheels:

32.jpg

Edited by Akassin

2 hours ago, Akassin said:

Later I will take a photo in nature and possibly a video.

Really cool, looking forward to it!

Looks awesome. I wish you could make it all pneumatic, but even if you squeezed the piston instead of linear actuator, the rotation would be kind of hard to handle apart from rotating by 90 degrees or something like that. Can't wait to see the video ;)

@Akassin thanks for the photo. You made the right call not to use the yellow rims. Grey better.

The design looks good, and isn't worth acquiring all the other colors just to appease me. Good job. 

Many thanks to everyone for the feedback. I'm very glad you liked it.

3 hours ago, SaperPL said:

Looks awesome. I wish you could make it all pneumatic, but even if you squeezed the piston instead of linear actuator, the rotation would be kind of hard to handle apart from rotating by 90 degrees or something like that. Can't wait to see the video ;)

Yes, I planned to do so and it was on my to-do list in the first post. But in the middle of construction, I had to change the concept due to several reasons:
1) all pneumatic control is in the back, and it was not easy to run even 4 hoses in such a small model, and to run 6 would be a big problem (the width of the inside is only 3 studs)
2) as you said - this would lead to a problem with the rotation of the grip. And now it rotates 360 degrees
3) I remember being disappointed with the way the bucket worked in the 42043 set. The pneumatics can lift quite a lot of weight, but cannot close the bucket if even a small object gets between its parts. And I wanted this model to be playable and to be able to capture logs that lie in several levels on the trailer. The actuator does it perfectly, the pneumatic does not, unfortunately.
4) I only had 2 small pneumatic cylinders and would have to choose between the tilt function of the boom and the opening of the grapple - the choice was made :sweet:

Final photos are ready.
Video coming soon too

final%201.jpg

final%202.jpg

final%203.jpg

final%204.jpg

Edited by Akassin

Great job with this MOC, and the pictures in it natural habitat look great. But the tires are so clean! :classic:

We could all compliment and say this should be a proper Technic set, but it actually should! very nice :thumbup:

The steering looks a little awkward to get to maybe? if it is that the 12t gear next to the pumper?

@jorgeopesi @KevinMD @Thirdwigg @MangaNOID Thanks for your comments.

16 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

We could all compliment and say this should be a proper Technic set, but it actually should! very nice :thumbup:

The steering looks a little awkward to get to maybe? if it is that the 12t gear next to the pumper?

I have medium sized fingers and it is comfortable for me to turn. You can always raise the HOG one stud higher for convenience. But I had to refuse to place additional lights behind the cab, because they interfered with the control.

I changed some of the final photos to match the subject of the application.

Video is ready. I hope you like it

I like your video and photos. It really looks like a real Volvo L180HL without your hand.

Just to highlight how authentic the model appears (compare it with the video above :thumbup:). Well done, @Akassin!

volvo-show-wheel-loader-l180h-hl-t2-t3-t

Edited by Void_S