Hello.
This will be my second attempt to build a Volvo L180HL (the first attempt was on a larger scale and was not finished :pirate-sad)

640x510.jpg

In fact, the scale should be very small. but due to the large size of the boom - the size of the overall box will be approximately 7500 cubic studs.
At this scale, the dimensions of the long pneumatic cylinders are ideally matched to the scale of the original.

Planned features:
- manual pneumatic pump
- boom lifting with pneumatics
- opening-closing claws with pneumatics
- HOG

at this point I am convinced that all the main elements can be done in this scale and have already begun the physical assembly of the back.
I'm still thinking about boom construction. Maybe I'll ditch the big turntable parts and use liftarms.

640x480.jpg

As model it is OK and good start, but I wouldn't consider this as a construction vehicle at all? OK, some forest harvester somehow, which I wouldn't also consider as my entry.

Machines like this are really used at some log storages, harbors or similar.

@Jurss I would not be so restrictive, construction machines = more or less anything that is not a car, a truck, a motorcycle, an agricultural machine, a plane and a helicopter...

@Akassin great start!

2 hours ago, Jurss said:

As model it is OK and good start, but I wouldn't consider this as a construction vehicle at all? OK, some forest harvester somehow, which I wouldn't also consider as my entry.

Machines like this are really used at some log storages, harbors or similar.

I was sure that this machine corresponds to construction equipment, because it is a modification of attachments for a heavy wheel loader. But now I'm going to wait for confirmation from @Jim before I go too far.

3 hours ago, Akassin said:

I was sure that this machine corresponds to construction equipment, because it is a modification of attachments for a heavy wheel loader. But now I'm going to wait for confirmation from @Jim before I go too far.

The base unit is a l180. Just the boom section is changed. And only good for handling shorts I find.  Quite a difference experience driving one.

On 4/10/2022 at 7:42 AM, Jurss said:

As model it is OK and good start, but I wouldn't consider this as a construction vehicle at all? OK, some forest harvester somehow, which I wouldn't also consider as my entry

Of course this is construction equipment.

On 4/10/2022 at 8:13 AM, mpj said:

@Jurss I would not be so restrictive, construction machines = more or less anything that is not a car, a truck, a motorcycle, an agricultural machine, a plane and a helicopter...

Exactly how I see it. Let's not be too restrictive.

22 hours ago, Akassin said:

Great choice. Proceed!

Some progress.
The back is completely finished.
Because there are no pump and pneumatic switch models in Studio - I made them from other parts.
After laying the hoses, there is absolutely no space left inside. I hope I can stretch them all through the center section.

1.jpg

3.jpg2.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by Akassin

I agree, the cab and rear end of the tractor look great.

Send me a PM, I have a studio file for the pneumatic value you are using. I still don't have the pump, but I use the old one in blue which works well enough.

I want to thank everyone for the words of support - it's inspiring

Some progress:
- I decided to change the color scheme because the combination of light bluish gray and dark bluish gray looked very boring (I don't have enough yellow parts to build it in the classic Volvo color)

- I made the back one stud higher to be more like the original

- finished cabin. I am pleased that even on such a small scale it was possible to place the driver's seat and controls.

- added some decorative elements

I also made sure on a natural model that there is enough space to accommodate all the pneumatic hoses.

The concept of management has also been changed. Pneumatics will control boom tilt and lift. Opening/closing and rotation of claws will be manual.

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

This is the kind of entry I am looking for. Simple (in a good way, I have explained that in a previous contest) and compact design. Lovely!

My favorite so far in this contest!

On 4/11/2022 at 9:54 PM, Akassin said:

no pump and pneumatic switch models in Studio - I made them from other parts

Sadly, yes... some new parts come within 1 month, these parts are available for years...

Thanks for your feedback and comments friends.

Started working on the boom.
For this machine, different generations of the boom looked different. Past versions had a sharp corner:

8090_frontalnyj_pogruzchik_volvo_l_180_e

The latest version received a smooth boom curve.

18013537_322871208128325_702019336608415

I have not yet decided which version I will do. I still have a lot of time, so I'll make both and see which one looks better on this small scale.
In any case, the difference will be only in appearance. The attachment points and placement of the pneumatic cylinders will remain unchanged.

I decided to start with the old version.
Now the boom has the following range of movement:

9.jpg

The front end is not finished yet, only the mounting points for the cylinders have been determined.
At the moment, the real model completely repeats the virtual one and the pneumatics work correctly, but the pneumatic tubes are not yet laid inside the front of the hull and this is a real problem. There is very little space, but I hope that I can handle it.

8.jpg

also added a log pusher in front like the original

push1.jpg

9 minutes ago, Akassin said:

Now the boom has the following range of movement:

You replicated the linkage very well, a very interesting project!

7 hours ago, Akassin said:

Thanks for your feedback and comments friends.
Started working on the boom.
For this machine, different generations of the boom looked different. Past versions had a sharp corner:

The latest version received a smooth boom curve.

The first photo is a volvo l70 or l90e

The give away is the door handle and frame. These are old machines pre 2008 roughly and still in use today. If you walked into goldpines yard in morrinsville its full of them as you can't really kill them.

The second photo is a g series. I drive a F which is similar not so boxy and more room  in the cab.  

20210412_174217.jpg

The other office... 

Looks really good. One thing I'd suggest is to replace that axle connectors (32039) above the 90 degree pin axle connectors (10197) which you're planning to use for attaching the pistons, with a 90 degree pin axle connectors going inward (32014) and secured in the middle. The 32039 connector will most likely break easily there.

12 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

Looks really good. One thing I'd suggest is to replace that axle connectors (32039) above the 90 degree pin axle connectors (10197) which you're planning to use for attaching the pistons, with a 90 degree pin axle connectors going inward (32014) and secured in the middle. The 32039 connector will most likely break easily there.

Thanks for the advice, I'll think about it and test the boom under load. I agree that such a connection is not very strong. There's only one reason why I did it. I need the cylinder attachment point to be as close as possible to the technical panel. Even if you move it just one stud, it greatly affects the height of the boom.

@Akassin, just if you need pneumatic parts for Stud.io, feel free to take mine: https://bricksafe.com/files/Void_s/studio-models/42128 - American Tow Truck.io (V2 bug pump, V2 valves, V2 cylinders, all with working mount pin and axle holes and hose sokets made of bars). Great log loader BTW, I only afraid if the boom made of many small parts may appear too flex.

Loving the look of this, possibly my favourite entry so far.

@Akassin I noticed this has a central pivot in the vehicle for its steering. Does it have pendular suspension too?

@Thirdwigg when I’m back from my holiday on Wednesday I’ll try and remember to pm you about the studio file  for the pneumatics