The01

[Not anymore TC22] Rope Shovel Excavator

Hi everyone,

for my first TC contest I will participiate I decided to build a dragline excavator/steam shovel/??? (how do you even call those things?).

How it should be:

512px-Dragline.png

Progress:

640x480.png

(Sorry for the poor photo)

I realized that it's quite difficult to build in a determinated size without becoming too big or small but I'll try to build small enough. :sweet:

Thanks for reading.

Edited by The01
Now this must be the right name for this thing

For this contest something with boom (cranes, excavators) is really challenging.

And You are building something littlebit different than in first picture - rope shovel/excavator.

Yes, it's difficult to remain in the right size, but I think it's possible. About the picture: I do not really know the names of those "things"; I haven't found any clear namings for these types of excavators and different variations.

Since I didn't have enough time for a while I couldn't post an update, but I realized that the Excavator is unfortunately about 4000 cubic studs too big:ugh:, so I will withdraw my entry from the contest. Nonetheless it was a nice experience to build something for a contest and with a deadline (that's nothing for me), which made me know that 10000 cubic studs really aren't much. Anyway I'll try to post the result soon and good luck to everyone entered the contest.:pir-huzzah2:

Edited by The01

39 minutes ago, The01 said:

Anyway I'll try to post the result soon and good luck to everyone entered the contestļ»æ.:pir-huzzah2:

Thanks for the update,Ā Ā looking forward to your creation!Ā 

It's finished!

800x600.png

I digitalized the model and made instructions for it, which took a bit longer than expected, but it's done at last.

With this MOC I learned a lot about LPub3D, it's really Ā§$&Ā§$ to use, but the result is nice.:grin:

RSE400300.gif

RSE2400300.gif

Functions:

Boom lifting with rope

Shovel lifting with rope

Superstructure rotating

800x566.png

On 5/30/2022 at 9:09 PM, GerritvdG said:

Thanks for the update,Ā Ā looking forward to your creation!Ā 

Thanks a lot for the comment, I really appreciate that! :blush:

A bad video barely showing the functions:

The instructions are available on Rebrickable.

More images on Bricksafe.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by The01
forgot i got a blueprint

Nice you finished this MOC!

Since you usedĀ LPub3D, do you like it compared to the other tools? (I only use Bricklink's Studio). Saw that you even managed to add the roped to the instructions, that's something pretty difficult in Studio. Last year I made instructions containing a bend rigid hose and it was pretty time consuming to bend properly in Studio...

I used stud.io for the digital modelling and stepping and its instructions maker is quite easy to use, but LPub3D has much more possibilities despite its more difficult interface. If you however just want to make simple instructions, stud.io is good enough imho. Anyway I recommend you to try LPub3D out, maybe you like ist. The rope was done in LDCAD, it has many nice options to create flexible parts, but if you are used to stud.io, the other functionalities are not so easy to use. I could import the rope into stud.io though, so you might still be able to create the instructions there.