Hi guys and gals,

as I've never build a Dozer, this was the first model that came to my mind when the rather "blocky" design restriction were given by Jim. This one will loosely be based on smaller Liebherr Dozers (PR 736 for example):

1150769.jpg

So far, I've tried different track configurations and settled for the smaller tracks, as the 5 stud wide ones would be just too big:

Test1.png

Planned features are:

- fake engine (strangely, it always comes down to 3 cylinders in my recent builds...) with diff

- 6-way blade with inside mounted push frame, actuated by small LAs for: Raising, angling and tilting (maybe one of the latter functions will be left out according to so little space available...

- rear ripper, just raising/lowering

At first, I thought about going pneumatic on this one, but the available pneumatic cylinders are either to small or too big in the specific scale :-/ 

I wonder how will you make bonnet; otherwise proportions look very good

It will be really challenging to implement all those functions in that narrow body. 

I like the tracks, those look really fine! But indeed, if you want to implement the shovel raise/lower movement with linkages, it might be easier to go for a cab forward dozer.

On 4/9/2022 at 4:58 PM, johnnym said:

I like the tracks, those look really fine! But indeed, if you want to implement the shovel raise/lower movement with linkages, it might be easier to go for a cab forward dozer. 

Thanks! In this scale, I'd had to left out the engine to do it, but I prefer this design more :-)

Little update. I managed to include the engine, which is even easily changable and the front blade with all three functions. . The ripper needs to be there to counterweight the blade. The cabs original design is hard to replicate in this scale, still trying to come up for different solutions...

Test2.png

The track works really well, even on flat surfaces. I didn't mention the easy suspension (pendular front). Here is a short video of the current version, I'll have to order some mismatched colours and missing parts

Edited by Jundis

Nice work! And cool way to implement the blade functionality. For the cabin I think axle connectors and maybe rigid hoses for the curvature at the front is the way to go.

I like how you have putted the front track gears, good idea, I know how difficult is to achieve the right track tension on small MOCs.

Looking great. Now the cab, and I'm interested to see how you do it. I love all the adjustments on the blade, and I'm happy you got a little engine under the hood. 

Thanks guys, now the last parts had been ordered. Hope to finish this early, as I got a little thesis to write... if I become a doctor, can I rename myself plastic surgeon?

The upper black connectors on the side of the cab join the roof with an offset of about 0.2 studs. At least in my test builds, this wasn't much of a problem, though. The dimensions (L x W x H) are 30 x 17 x 14 = 7140 cubic studs.

Final1.png

Final2.png

Johannes I suggest to change in Johannes, the organic plastic surgeon 

Your small liebherr like dozer is very nice

5 hours ago, Jundis said:

Thanks guys, now the last parts had been ordered. Hope to finish this early, as I got a little thesis to write... if I become a doctor, can I rename myself plastic surgeon?

Dr. is a very broad title nowadays.  Even when restricted to the field of medicine.  But if you are indeed a plastic surgeon, then the rename is awesome!  GL on the thesis...

The little dozer is a great build.  This contest is coming along very nicely!

Edited by nerdsforprez

5 hours ago, Jundis said:

Hope to finish this early, as I got a little thesis to write... if I become a doctor, can I rename myself plastic surgeon?

Cool little dozer, really nice details.

About plastic surgery:

No cutting, sculpting or modifying parts.

:grin:

Good luck on your thesis!

5 hours ago, 1gor said:

Johannes I suggest to change in Johannes, the organic plastic surgeon 

Your small liebherr like dozer is very nice

4 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

The little dozer is a great build.  This contest is coming along very nicely!

3 hours ago, GerritvdG said:

No cutting, sculpting or modifying parts.

:grin:

Good luck on your thesis!

Thanks guys :D

I agree; the functions are great, and this looks great as well. I look forward to seeing it in real bricks now.

I really like this one. The color yellow-white-dark gray scheme works very well, and I like how there's a lot of functionality in a model of this size. I also like the studded details (the little black handles besides the seat are a nice little detail!)

If this were a set, my only complaint would probably be the usage of connectors as the knobs to control the functions. Also, using blue pins on the ripper means it probably wil have a lot of friction. But that's something to test when yo build the whole thing physically. Overall, it seems a very nice little model.

Thank you guys for the kind words, I really like this build as it came together very naturally :wub:

11 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

If this were a set, my only complaint would probably be the usage of connectors as the knobs to control the functions. Also, using blue pins on the ripper means it probably wil have a lot of friction. But that's something to test when yo build the whole thing physically

Thanks for the constructive critique! I also tried with 12 tooth gears for the functions, but they looked too bulky. I already replaced the friction pins with non-friction ones in my test build ;-)

What I didn't mention: There was no elegant way to make the front lights (see first pic) as extensions of the small LAs. Any ideas are welcome! :D

If You use these

85x85p.jpg?1642514533.3550513

in place of connector with one pin, then You can put some lights there on top.

Or I see, that You can use longer axles, which are at the top vertically. Yes, those won't be as extensions of cylinders, but cold be pretty close.

16 minutes ago, Jurss said:

in place of connector with one pin, then You can put some lights there on top

Hadn't thought about that! I could even use the axle ones by replacing the 2L axle/pin liftarm with two halfbeam liftarms with axle holes to give better stability. I'll try that later, thanks :-)

3 hours ago, Jundis said:

Hadn't thought about that!

That is why we have this friendly forum with WIP topics. I also was reminded recently, that I have white panels for grader blade :)

Had finally some time to assamble the final version.

@Jurss I tried different configurations, but in the end nohing looked that good to me, especially next to the exhaust.

Maybe I will shoot again tomorrow, had bad light today, so some pics are rather dark.

0-Haupt.jpg

1-Maintenance.jpg

2-Unterseite.jpg

3-Dimensionen.jpg

4-Aufgebockt.jpg

5-Suspension.jpg

6-Hinten.jpg

Magnificent. So much functions in small space as if you were the author of Bosch slogan "geniusly simple, simply genius".

I really like your idea for suspension