GerritvdG

[TC22] Loader Tractor (free instructions published)

Making a studless version of the 8849 Tractor was on my wish list for some time now. So I decided to make this an entry for the TC22 contest with some modifications.

The idea: a generic Loader Tractor

Features:

• pendular front axle
  • HOG-steering and working steering wheel
  • Power Take Of (PTO) shaft at the rear 
  • Raising/lowering hitch
  • Front loader

Dimensions: just below 10000

Prototype

1024x768.jpg

On my TODO list now:
•    creating a nice linkage for the bucket lifting and tilting
•    wheel-choice: the original had 82mm back (3740) and 63 mm front (4266c02). I’m thinking of the 81.6 mm balloon tires for the back and the recent tractor tires for the front or alternatively the smaller balloons. 
•    determine how much space is left for the hitch

There are a lot of activities next month (expanding the top floor) to create my own office / Lego room 😊 so just as most of you, time will be precious. 

Edited by GerritvdG
typo

Looks good so far. Can you not put tractor tyres on the rear and then smooth on the front to replicate a 2wd tractor ? Or are the rears then too big

Edited by Seasider

Hmm as you mentioned, the original had 82 mm tires, too. So the new 81 mm tractor tires from the zetros and the 56 mm jeep tires should be fine :-)

On my to-do list is a backhoe with exactly this configuration (but is too big for this competition :D):

Tractor.png

1 hour ago, Jundis said:

Hmm as you mentioned, the original had 82 mm tires, too. So the new 81 mm tractor tires from the zetros and the 56 mm jeep tires should be fine :-)

On my to-do list is a backhoe with exactly this configuration (but is too big for this competition :D):

Ah Johannes, you beat me as usual. (It could be modernized version of 8455 set :wub:). As time passes by it looks like I'm starting to be too old for Lego...

@GerritvdG keep with tires from 42122 set at front and tires from 42129 set at rear.

2 hours ago, Seasider said:

Can you not put tractor tyres on the rear

1 hour ago, Jundis said:

So the new 81 mm tractor tires from the zetros and the 56 mm jeep tires should be fine :-)

7 minutes ago, 1gor said:

keep with tires from 42122 set at front and tires from 42129 set at rear

Thanks guys, I forgot the Zetros tires, for some reason I can't find then in @Sariels wheels chart. Going to order them. 

2 hours ago, Seasider said:

and then smooth on the front to replicate a 2wd tractor

Just like the picture below, you mean? That would be nice, have to search for some LEGO-wheels that replicate these smooth front wheels.

220px-OlderModelTractor.JPG

2 hours ago, Jundis said:

Nice, yes, to big. It will already be a challenge for me to fit the front loader into the 10000 cubic studs!

@GerritvdG you're welcome. Since I can not work on my MOCs as I wonted it doesn't mean that I shouldn't help someone who needs it. Tractors like that you posted in last post I "meet" every day when going to work. They slow down traffic so much that it seems that you can overtook them with those https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheelbarrow

...that is probably why I work on Fastrac

44 minutes ago, 1gor said:

Ah Johannes, you beat me as usual. (It could be modernized version of 8455 set :wub:). As time passes by it looks like I'm starting to be too old for Lego...

This idea is resting in the "ideas" files for like half a year, so I ain't that fast... :D

22 minutes ago, GerritvdG said:

Nice, yes, to big. It will already be a challenge for me to fit the front loader into the 10000 cubic studs!

But it should be possible. Given the width of about 15...16 studs and a height of about the same, there should be no problem to make a 40 stud long model. Really looking forward for this! ;-)

@GerritvdG yes like that photo. A 2wd tractor would often have skinny tyres with a straight thread to allow it to cut through the mud as it doesn’t need to provide traction 

7 minutes ago, Jundis said:

This idea is resting in the "ideas" files for like half a year, so I ain't that fast... :D

But it should be possible. Given the width of about 15...16 studs and a height of about the same, there should be no problem to make a 40 stud long model. Really looking forward for this! ;-)

I got an idea since first leaked image of Zetros appear (the 6 wheeled version). Even one started project from January 2021 when Jeep Wrangler introduced is made only (part of) 4 wheel steering and 4 wheel drive - loadal 527-58 and level zero or something... Last time I re re re redesign Fastrac chassis to make 1:18 model of 8330 and now @GerritvdG with his lovely idea cause my brainstorming about even smaller models...and gave me additional motivation, so at least what I could do is to help him to make beautiful loader like using biscuit piece on hood behind seat panel, so he could stich chimney in it from above

Maybe you could go with same size wheels? JCB does something like this (I've seen one like this IRL recently):

6472_3726960323556.jpg

40 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

Maybe you could go with same size wheels? JCB does something like this (I've seen one like this IRL recently):

Case, New Holland, Komatsu, Hidromek and Caterpillar also do equal-wheeled models, so there's plenty of precedent.

20 hours ago, 1gor said:

They slow down traffic so much

Yes, they're not that fast, you can better come across a Fastrac :classic:

20 hours ago, Jundis said:

20 hours ago, Seasider said:

A 2wd tractor would often have skinny tyres with a straight thread to allow it to cut through the mud as it doesn’t need to provide traction 

20 hours ago, 1gor said:

like using biscuit piece on hood behind seat panel, so he could stich chimney in it from above

14 hours ago, SaperPL said:

Maybe you could go with same size wheels?

13 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Case, New Holland, Komatsu, Hidromek and Caterpillar also do equal-wheeled models, so there's plenty of precedent.

12 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Cool project. I look forward to the progress. Maybe this can bring a little inspiration.

Thanks again guys, this gives me a lot of inspiration :wub:. I thought about it and I will concentrate on a classic 2wd loader tractor for now.

Going create a studio model right know and going to experiment with the tires choices and the sizing. And the biscuit piece is a good one, just realized that I have one in my recently second hand bought 42100.

I'll drop this one for the inspiration as well:

h4zyXvWh.png

The interesting things here to note are the headlights, the different sized wheels with same tread and the steering wheel connection to HOG steering with 12t gears connected at angle. I remember that adding those headlights at the front changed the look drastically and having a steering wheel working allowed for a cool shot in the video with GoPro attached to the back of the tractor from the driver's position.

On 4/10/2022 at 12:25 PM, SaperPL said:

I'll drop this one for the inspiration as well:

Thanks, for the inspiration, appreciated!  Yes, I need to experiment with the headlights....

On 4/10/2022 at 1:25 PM, TangersTechnic said:

You have made a great start with this.

Thank you!

The high quality of the entries and the reactions on this thread really motivated me to work on my model.

I  have worked on the following items:

• made the boom and linkages for the loader;
  • experimented with the wheel choices, for the rear-wheels this will be the Zetros tires if it still fits within the box, for the front the small tractor tires. Also considered the 70490 tires which appeared in two Creator Expert sets last year for a more classic look
  • made the rear chassis two studs less long compared to the original 8849 to fit within the box (28 * 17 * 21 = 9996)
  • made a first version of the cabin
  • started with some details

And last but not least, I was able to preserve all the features of the original 8849.

1024x768.jpeg

1024x768.jpeg

1024x768.jpeg

I only have some space left in the height for some details, but there is not much margin left!

Edited by GerritvdG

My TODO list for next week:

• the wheel to control the raising and lowering of the hitch is now hidden below the right hand side mudguard, this must be improved
  • the PTO is driven by the right wheel, a differential driving the PTO would be better
  • start with finishing the cabin and the mudguards 
and then:
  • add details in the exterior and interior, searching for a slightly smaller sterring wheel
  • improving the looks, maybe experiment with some other color options in Studio...
  • order the parts I need

2 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Great job on the updates. I like the look of the forward sloping cabin.

Thanks, yes, after some tinkering the forward slope fits this model best, now finding a way to lock that slope.

2 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Is the exhaust the HOG?

Yes, in addition to the working steering wheel.

If it helps; Zetros tire (when not modified) is 35mm wide and you use 81,6 x 36 tire, so you could be within box with Zetros tires

So far it looks really good

Tractor time! Have been working at the rear chassis, this was the original version (based on the 8849). It complied, but a differential was missing and the 24 tooth gear was at an unreachable position.

853x640.jpeg

This was my first attempt to improve the original version, but the worm gear at that position didn't work (of course).

640x480.jpeg

This is the current solution (loosely based on the mounts of @Thirdwigg) and I'm happy with the result:

• a differential is now driving the PTO,
  • the pivot point of the PTO corresponds to the pivot point of the hitch,
  • the knob is easy accessible
  • and it folds really compact

Also started with adding the details!

1024x768.jpeg

1024x768.jpeg

I am really struggling with the front lights, I didn't find a suitable solution, so I left them out for now. But I'm still working on it.

Next thing on my list is going back to studio and order the wheels and a smaller steering wheel.

Final picture :blush:

1024x768.jpeg

Edited by GerritvdG