Jim

[TC22] Technic Small Construction Vehicle Contest - Discussion Topic

Yes, @Ctan will be allowed to enter, he provided a solid explanation for why he was late several hours.

Yes, we always frontpage the voting phase. Once the voting starts, we will promote it.

12 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

I would kindly ask to allow @Ctan to put his entry into the contest. Previously we had extensions for additional weeks when people didn't get their parts delivered, this time he was just hours late, but he did start the project thread over a month ago, so it's not like someone who came last minute and asked for extension to finish the build. And I believe we have people that started the threads just last week and even just yesterday as well which I thought is kind of against the spirit of the competition where the progress thread posted throughout the competition is required, so I really hope @Ctan can be treated with some lenience here as well.

And I would kindly ask to not lecture us. I have clearly stated that there will be no extension this time because we have a deadline. Extensions should not be considered a regular thing. We already changed the closing day to Tuesday a while ago, so people will have the entire Sunday in all timezones. The Monday is simply a buffer. We used the Monday to correct some topics which weren't entirely within the spirit of the contest (which is fine btw, we do that...for you guys).

@Ctan's model was already (mostly) complete on the 27th of April when the topic was created. Why wait til the 1st of June with entering the contest?! Could have easily made the deadline.

(no offense @Ctan, don't take this too personal....although I do wonder why you haven't entered earlier)

I am inclined to open up the topic (because generally I am a nice guy hehe), but after opening the topic there will be the next guy asking to open up the topic....and the next guy. We are investing our own time to manually create voting topics etc, so throw us a freakin' bone instead of telling us what's fair and what's not :hmpf_bad:

4 minutes ago, Milan said:

Yes, @Ctan will be allowed to enter, he provided a solid explanation for why he was late several hours.

Yes, we always frontpage the voting phase. Once the voting starts, we will promote it.

Milan to the rescue! 

See....we are nice guys after all :wink:

No worries guys, I did this build mainly for my kid and he's the main audience :) 

I didn't have too much free time recently due to house renovation and I thought I'll do the pictures earlier. Unfortunately life revisited all my plans.

I understand that deadline have passed. Only I can kindly ask if I can enter. If I'll be not allowed that's ok. Nobody will be sad I think. Rules are rules. 

I don't build stuff to win anything. My only win is to spent time on thinking how to connect all these puzzles to make nice stuff. Just because I like it. Contests are a great opportunity to get motivation and do something in busy adult life. 

So all in all, if yes it would be nice, if not I won't be sad. Just focus on the building guys! :) 

4 minutes ago, Ctan said:

So all in all, if yes it would be nice, if not I won't be sad. Just focus on the building guys! :) 

We have opened up the topic! You are welcome to join.

5 minutes ago, Ctan said:

I didn't have too much free time recently due to house renovation and I thought I'll do the pictures earlier. Unfortunately life revisited all my plans.

House renovations....know all about it :tongue:

Please enter the contest so we can close the entry topic and publish the voting topic.

2 hours ago, Seasider said:

@Jim and @Milan when is the voting topic going to go live ? And also can you add it to the front page ?

It will be online in one hour.
And yes, as noted above, we always frontpage the voting phase, and the winners.

12 minutes ago, Milan said:

Voting is live!

Thanks, it will not be easy to choose! Cool that you managed to create a mosaic of all the entries!

That's a really nice way of showing all entries, and getting people to notice the competition and vote! Nice!

Can a link to the topic be added to the frontpage post? Or is it deliberately left out? (Or did I just miss it?)

Regarding the entries: if these were all sets, I would probably buy a few. :D It will be hard to pick just a top-6, let alone put that in some order :)

Edited by Erik Leppen

There are some models that I really like! Still, I can't wait to see what happens to mine:blush:

7 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

Can a link to the topic be added to the frontpage post

Thanks for pointing it out. Somehow my link disappeared. Fixed now.

Once a gain, I want to give points to everyone. Every entry seems to be deserving, even those which at first glance are not that impressive seem to hide inside functionality that puts most official sets in shame. It will be really hard to decide how to distribute the few points I have at my disposal...

2 minutes ago, Jurss said:

How long voting will be open? @Jim@Milan

At least one week. There’s no fixed date.

@Milan / @Jim I've got a question about this, just out of curiosity:

On 6/5/2022 at 9:56 PM, Milan said:

PRIZES
Voting is done like explained above. For the prizes we have two categories, Pro and Regular. Pro category is for medal winners and the Regular for.....you guessed it....non-medal winners. So the top-3 will get a medal (regardless of the category) and the (top-1) winner of the Pro and Regular category will each receive a prize.

What happens if top-3 is taken by entries by Pro/medal winners and the best Regular is out of the podium? Will this mean that a person out of the podium, is winning a set but not getting a medal?

Also for future reference - wouldn't it make more sense to make split voting between pro and regulars? I feel like we might end up with big discrepancies in points between pros who are all fighting for that first place and the first regular up there.

4 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

@Milan / @Jim I've got a question about this, just out of curiosity:

What happens if top-3 is taken by entries by Pro/medal winners and the best Regular is out of the podium? Will this mean that a person out of the podium, is winning a set but not getting a medal?

Yup

4 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

Also for future reference - wouldn't it make more sense to make split voting between pro and regulars? I feel like we might end up with big discrepancies in points between pros who are all fighting for that first place and the first regular up there.

We like to keep it simple and do the voting this way. At the end of the day it won’t matter that much for the outcome.

Results have been published!

On 6/8/2022 at 10:56 PM, SaperPL said:

I feel like we might end up with big discrepancies in points between pros who are all fighting for that first place and the first regular up there.

Except we didn't  :tongue:

I expected you would notify us shortly before the voting ends, I was waiting for my fellow @JoKo to get his 50 posts to be allowed voting too. I guess that wouldn't have changed the result, but still..

Moreover, there's a small mistakeI got 28 points and am tied for 12 with him and @SaperPL. I think @sirslayer 's voting got skipped by your script: their format is inadequate, lacking the space after the semicolon. 

Anyway, congrats to all participants, there were amazing entries once again. 

Edited by 1980SomethingSpaceGuy

I never notify when voting ends. I simply lock the topic and tally the votes.

There is no need for a space after the semicolon. But I will take a look.

My software skips invalid votes and simply ignores them. Invalid votes don’t count. 

The first entries have been build using RB by rcjoce :sweet: . No surprise because rcjoce has build a lot of TC entries published on RB, but I'm always happy to see other people are enjoying what we design and create on this forum!

2022-06-24_19-21-35.png

Btw, rcjoce inspired me to start building a studless version of the 8849 tractor, which ultimately resulted in this entry.

Btw2, @artemisovsky was the first,  building  @Thirdwigg s Mecalac almost 3 weeks ago. 

During the contest we had a bit of a discussion about TLG not being able to send sets to Ukraine and Russia. @Akassin ended up being the Silver medal winner. Due to a glitch (unexpected situation) in the rules he was technically not eligible for a prize, but obviously we didn't want to leave him emptyhanded. So I sent him a PM. He responded very kindly:

About the prize ... in fact, I did not expect to receive any prize :) firstly because of the initial conditions of the competition, but most importantly because of the situation in which we now live. We are now very isolated from the civilized world (absolutely deservedly), and I will treat with absolute understanding if there are problems with this. So that you don't worry if it doesn't work out. Thanks.

So I made him a promise to get him a set and we had a brief conversation, where he replied:

I come from Ukraine myself. My close friend in Ukraine has now sent his family away from the war to Poland (wife and son). His son is also a big LEGO fan. Can I address my prize to him? I think he would be happy to get some LEGO gift away from home. If it is possible to send to Poland and there are no problems with the fact that the recipient of the parcel will be a citizen of Ukraine - I would support such a decision. Thanks.

So, I dug in the closet and I found some cool sets to send to Poland. These are the pictures I got :wub:

LEGO Fans Unite! Great that we could work this out. That is one one chap in the pictures.

640x853.jpg

640x853.jpg

Really wonderful, respect for both of you @Akassin and @Jim :pir-love:

It feels very good to be part of this forum and it's special to make a kid forget a difficult situation for a while!

Edited by GerritvdG