Jim

[TC22] Technic Small Construction Vehicle Contest - Discussion Topic

It's great to see so many cool entries!

22 hours ago, Jim said:

It's great to see so many cool entries!

Yes looks like a good and varied collection of entries

I dare somebody to submit a 1x1x10,000 string of axles and axle connectors to this contest, and pass it off as, say, a really wide steamroller wheel.

5 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

I dare somebody to submit a 1x1x10,000 string of axles and axle connectors to this contest, and pass it off as, say, a really wide steamroller wheel.

it would be 80 meters or 262.47 ft long though - very hard to take a picture of it all :tongue:

I'm thinking about whether retracting mirrors is okay. Jim said:

On 4/8/2022 at 8:07 AM, Jim said:

Taking off things is not permitted. If something (the crane) folds, while attached to the vehicle, it's okay.

I built my model in a way that it would be too big with regular mirrors, so I built so that you can retract them. I think it should be okay, because the mirrors are attached to the vehicle in extended and retracted position. But I'm not completly sure and prefer to ask for it to prevent last-minute-stress.

As long as they don’t detach, you’re fine.

Lots of cool entries already. I had to look at the date to see if the contest ends next weekend hehe.

I reckon this contest will be hard to judge.

I wish LEGO would do away with cars for one year and do a whole bunch of small compact sets like we are seeing with this TC. Dam there are some amazing builds that I would buy in a heart beat off the shelves :thumbup:

4 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

I wish LEGO would do away with cars for one year and do a whole bunch of small compact sets like we are seeing with this TC. Dam there are some amazing builds that I would buy in a heart beat off the shelves :thumbup:

True that! All of them are great and some are magnificent!

5 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

Couldn't agree more!

It's a shame Lego ideas nearly exclusively use sets which doesn't fit in any current Lego category. This forum here would be a way better source for technic models :D

1 hour ago, Jundis said:

It's a shame Lego ideas nearly exclusively use sets which doesn't fit in any current Lego category. This forum here would be a way better source for technic models :D

Not start another discussion but I don’t think LEGO Ideas is suitable for Technic. Ideas is for niche themes/sets. There are so many Technic sets eligible to be an official set.

I thought I wouldn't be participating, but it appears that I suddenly have some free time after all in the coming couple of weeks, so am I correct to assume that the contest won't be closed before the end of the month?

Another question: does it have to be a model of a vehicle that moves around on its own power, or could it be something that is hauled to the site by trucks (not included in the model) and is assembled there to perform its job and then disassembled and hauled away?

5 minutes ago, howitzer said:

I thought I wouldn't be participating, but it appears that I suddenly have some free time after all in the coming couple of weeks, so am I correct to assume that the contest won't be closed before the end of the month?

Correct.

But be warned, and this goes voor everybody, the deadline is set. No extensions. This is because of our request for prizes has a deadline.

PS would be nice to see you entering the contest :thumbup: 

22 minutes ago, Jim said:

Correct.

But be warned, and this goes voor everybody, the deadline is set. No extensions. This is because of our request for prizes has a deadline.

PS would be nice to see you entering the contest :thumbup: 

What about my other question? :classic:

27 minutes ago, howitzer said:

What about my other question? :classic:

Sorry :tongue: 

What you propose is okay. It can be something which needs hauling. As long as its considered a vehicle of some sorts. What is it what you are thinking of?

15 minutes ago, Jim said:

Sorry :tongue: 

What you propose is okay. It can be something which needs hauling. As long as its considered a vehicle of some sorts. What is it what you are thinking of?

A 3D-printer that makes houses. Something along these lines: 

main-qimg-df6d77132bc75a704c24a17d7b0476

Hmmm I’m not really sure TBH. Would like to know what others think.

A 3D printer is definitey not a vehicle.

But it is an interesting idea.

Can I post my model in other sites with a link to the competition before the submission deadline?

1 hour ago, NoEXIST said:

Can I post my model in other sites with a link to the competition before the submission deadline?

That’s a bit of a grey area, but I have seen people posting their entry on Facebook. So I guess it’s okay. We have the 50 post treshold for voting to avoid rigging.

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

That’s a bit of a grey area, but I have seen people posting their entry on Facebook. So I guess it’s okay. We have the 50 post treshold for voting to avoid rigging.

Great, thanks! I won't be looking for people to vote, I want to post instructions:wink:

8 hours ago, Jim said:

Hmmm I’m not really sure TBH. Would like to know what others think.

A 3D printer is definitey not a vehicle.

But it is an interesting idea.

Yeah, that's why I wanted to ask. I guess I could put it on tracks (I think that kind of printer also exists) so being self-propelled, it should count as a vehicle.

35 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Yeah, that's why I wanted to ask. I guess I could put it on tracks (I think that kind of printer also exists) so being self-propelled, it should count as a vehicle.

I'd say if it's on tracks, it counts. Noone said it was supposed to be a road vehicle. If it can move, you're good. 

Glad you're in for that TC, @howitzer