Jim

[TC22] Technic Small Construction Vehicle Contest - Discussion Topic

4 hours ago, Jayden said:

@Jim Is using 3D printed parts that I designed and printed allowed? 

From the rules: "All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands, 3rd party parts, or digital entries allowed."

So no.

2 minutes ago, howitzer said:

From the rules: "All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands, 3rd party parts, or digital entries allowed."

So no.

Thank you. I am blind. :laugh: I wonder how i missed that. :hmpf_bad:

4 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

Sbricks are ok, can we use any battery option to power them like a single 9v battery instead of the LEGO battery pack options that are very large?

Nope. No other custom stuff.

Rereading the rule of the competition, I wondered what criteria would determine the model in the "Pro" and "Novice" groups?

If I remember from the previous contest where we used this a Pro was someone who had won (1st,2nd,3rd) in a previous contest and I think some of the “pro” builders known on YouTube/“this forum” were also added to this by default, but I may be wrong on this second point.

20 hours ago, NoEXIST said:

Rereading the rule of the competition, I wondered what criteria would determine the model in the "Pro" and "Novice" groups?

Sorry, I forgot to explain.

Pro = medal winners (Gold, Silver or Bronze)
Amateur/Novice = the non-pro contestants (a.k.a. everyone else)

@Jim just to prevent confusion and last-minute stress: I assume all pneumatic hoses, electrical wires and other 'flexible elements' of a model are also supposed to be within the bounding box?

42 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

@Jim just to prevent confusion and last-minute stress: I assume all pneumatic hoses, electrical wires and other 'flexible elements' of a model are also supposed to be within the bounding box?

Yes, but they may be bended and routed to fit the box. As long as you don’t do any really crazy stuff, I’m sure you’ll be fine.

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Yes, but they may be bended and routed to fit the box. As long as you don’t do any really crazy stuff, I’m sure you’ll be fine.

:thumbup: I'll make it work somehow:wink:

More of a jim question. Sorry Jim.

As with tc18 mirrors on cars / vechiles did not count towards the overall width. Is this the case this time or are you going to be measuring to the last half stud? Of the model in the rest / transport position 

Kind regards Matt 

7 hours ago, brickless_kiwi said:

More of a jim question. Sorry Jim.

As with tc18 mirrors on cars / vechiles did not count towards the overall width. Is this the case this time or are you going to be measuring to the last half stud? Of the model in the rest / transport position 

Kind regards Matt 

Regardless the official answer by Jim, I'd suggest making the mirrors non-fixed so you can adjust them to sit flat on the side of your model if they get too wide in standard position...

I essentially do the same with the excavator arm on my model...

1 hour ago, Rudivdk said:

Regardless the official answer by Jim, I'd suggest making the mirrors non-fixed so you can adjust them to sit flat on the side of your model if they get too wide in standard position...

I essentially do the same with the excavator arm on my model...

Exactly this. 

I think I answered this on one of the previous pages. Simply make them foldable.

in short; the model needs to fit in the bounding box without taking parts off. Folding, retracting, bending (hoses) is okay.

Regarding prizes; I need to address an important limitation. Due to recent circumstances, I will not be able to ship prizes to Ukraine or Russia. TLG won't approve the request. I just read an updated document and it is clearly stated that both countries are not eligble for activity support. 

Of course, I will look into a solution for this problem, in case we have a winner from the Ukraine or Russia. However, I cannot guarantee a physical prize. Obviously, the medal and eternal glory will be offered regardless and I will do my best to work something out.

Please don't start a political discussion. It is what it is and I am limited by the contraints TLG imposes on us. But I thought it was better to mention this now, instead of after the voting.

3 hours ago, Jim said:

Regarding prizes; I need to address an important limitation. Due to recent circumstances, I will not be able to ship prizes to Ukraine or Russia. TLG won't approve the request. I just read an updated document and it is clearly stated that both countries are not eligble for activity support. 

Of course, I will look into a solution for this problem, in case we have a winner from the Ukraine or Russia. However, I cannot guarantee a physical prize. Obviously, the medal and eternal glory will be offered regardless and I will do my best to work something out.

Please don't start a political discussion. It is what it is and I am limited by the contraints TLG imposes on us. But I thought it was better to mention this now, instead of after the voting.

Jim if the winner was from Ukraine or Russia. Could you receive the prise on their behalf and I would be happy to chip in a few dollars so your not out of pocket to forward the prizes.

I know why lego has done this. However in times of hardship and stress I don't see why someone should be discouraged or disappointed in a hobby which might be the one thing keeping them safe or sane.

Regards Matt 

9 hours ago, brickless_kiwi said:

Jim if the winner was from Ukraine or Russia. Could you receive the prise on their behalf and I would be happy to chip in a few dollars so your not out of pocket to forward the prizes.

I know why lego has done this. However in times of hardship and stress I don't see why someone should be discouraged or disappointed in a hobby which might be the one thing keeping them safe or sane.

Regards Matt 

That is definitely an option. There are several different scenarios. I'm sure we can work something out.

Thanks for reaching out. I really appreciate it.

I will send you a PM.

Try to make it as official as possible using Sbrick or Buwizz is quite a contradiction, isn´t it?, I should have read the rules better, fortunately my entry is not RC but if it was, a purist like me would be in disadvantage in a contest with Lego for using only Lego. What is Lego´s opinion on those components?. Adding extra space for those who only use Lego would be good, at least measure of two Lego receibers more or less.

Edited by jorgeopesi

Not sure what TLG’s opinion is, but we tend to allow Sbricks and Buwizz when electronics are allowed.

Will we have to take a picture with our model in some kind of bounding box for proof of compliance, @Jim? I just finished my entry and will be taking it apart soon, so I just want to make sure I get all the documentation I need before I take it apart.

Thanks!

Yes, please do that. We did that in the past as well. I will add this to the entry topic shortly.

10 minutes ago, Jim said:

Yes, please do that. We did that in the past as well. I will add this to the entry topic shortly.

does it have to be a box or is this allowed

75CDA4FB-C735-4156-A752-3FD44950FB6F.JPG

It doesn’t have to be a box, but we need to be able to see the three dimensions. 

Most people made some sort of 3-axis   with liftarms.

28 minutes ago, Jim said:

Most people made some sort of 3-axis   with liftarms.

Like this?

1024x768.jpeg

That is absolutely fine!

4 hours ago, Jim said:

Ok, thanks!