Jim

[TC22] Technic Small Construction Vehicle Contest - Discussion Topic

16 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

That to me is a bit of an odd move. Yes, there are construction vehicles that can be used in forestry, but more specialized vehicles such as tree harvesters and skidders don't really have any construction utility.

But you have the final say, Jim. Just adding my thoughts.

I like to know what other people think. Thoughts?

8 minutes ago, Jim said:

Thoughts?

Although I can understand @Maaboo35, I have no problem with forestry equipment in this contest.

The definition is difficult and I couldn’t find it on Wikipedia, the closest I can get is that of heavy equipment:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_equipment

But that definition is also not perfect because a lowboy trailer falls into this definition…

Hey @Jim, not that I'm planning a model that would fall into this, but does the 10,000 stud volume have to be in the form of a box, or can the box be a weird shape, as long as the total volume is 10,000 cubic studs or fewer? Like, a typical semi truck could fit in an L shaped box, would that be allowed? Or, does the box have to be a simple xL*xH*xD box with no cut outs?

I ask this because it could make certain models easier while still fitting the rules. Like, somebody was wanting to build a dragline excavator, which has a long boom. It would be much easier to build if the volume of the model was only the space occupied by the model itself, and not any extra space in the bounding box.

7 hours ago, weavil said:

They are modified construction equipment. Tree harvester is kin to an excavator or wheel loader (depending on style) and a skidder or forwarder is like a modified hauler.

I see your point, but you won't find a feller-buncher on your local building site.

Perhaps if the rules were altered from construction equipment to ‘construction, mining, forestry and similar industrial/excavation equipment’, it could clear confusion or indecision . While dedicated forest machines are very different from construction equipment, and I can certainly understand the need for boundaries, they are along the same lines, especially when you consider that companies like Catepillar manufacture all of these types of equipment.

Edited by Stuartn

Is a cherry picker considered construction equipment our is that just outside of the allowed category?

3 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

I see your point, but you won't find a feller-buncher on your local building site.

Dunno.. I had one on a construction site last week as we are using it to cut the geotec rammed uglies piles to a consistent height using a lazer and GPS system...

https://www.facebook.com/259997034480861/posts/617371105410117/?app=fbl

I liken forestry machines more to farming than to construction so I'd exclude them (though if it has a proper non-forestry related function at construction yard it should of course be included).

@Saberwing40k (& @Jim ) I would assume the cubic studs volume created from a basic rectangular shaped box. If you bring in anything else from this it’s gets silly with the argument of how you define the volume. Because if you allow what you said about a boom, then what about the fact that wheels sit lower in a volume from the chassis so should you discount the volume defined between the wheelbase or track ? Sticking to a simple 6 sided shape defined by 3 lengths is the easiest way of defining things with a clear interpretation for all

28 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Sticking to a simple 6 sided shape defined by 3 lengths is the easiest way of defining things with a clear interpretation for all

Yes, agreed!

Yes lets keep it simple and stick to the bounding box. 

2 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Those are very unusual circumstances though.

Unusual or not, if it gets used it should be allowed in my opinion, if there is some proof a machine is used at a construction site and it's heavy machinery. And this one is proven now with that FB post.

17 minutes ago, Mr Jos said:

Unusual or not, if it gets used it should be allowed in my opinion, if there is some proof a machine is used at a construction site and it's heavy machinery. And this one is proven now with that FB post.

Yeah, fair enough.

4 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Those are very unusual circumstances though.

Standard practice for TTT.  Safety and also speed. When your dealing with the butt end of a 375 sed there is a bit of weight involved.....

Oh welcome to what I do for a living...

Wooden piles? Why not, they were historically used a lot, but somehow I thought today only concrete would be used... So in this case I guess at least some types of forestry equipment is fine for the contest.

Thanks guys.

Let's allow forestry equipment.

3 hours ago, howitzer said:

Wooden piles? Why not, they were historically used a lot, but somehow I thought today only concrete would be used... So in this case I guess at least some types of forestry equipment is fine for the contest.

Laughs ok this is probably going to sound like a sales pitch.

A sustainable product. Treated and rammed and covered with no oxygen penetration even in a water table they do not rot. 

Cabon credits and you can laugh all you like but with the special sauce we can turn piles into batteries and hold charge so mass storage. 

Cheaper than concrete and rebar. Highly resilient to earth quakes.

So yes we do wired and wacky stuff with timber poles..... and hell I'm proud of what I do... it's different 

20 minutes ago, brickless_kiwi said:

A sustainable product. Treated and rammed and covered with no oxygen penetration even in a water table they do not rot. 

Cabon credits and you can laugh all you like but with the special sauce we can turn piles into batteries and hold charge so mass storage. 

So yes we do wired and wacky stuff with timber poles..... and hell I'm proud of what I do... it's different 

No laughs, it sounds really good!

Apparently where I live the old wooden piles have lasted for decades if not centuries, until the spread of pavement made the rainwater go into drains instead of into ground, and then the ground has gotten drier, which has enabled rotting in the foundations of some buildings... Not an easy problem to fix, but I'm sure the modern version your company makes is more resistant to this type of degradation.

Getting seriously off-topic though so maybe we'll leave it here!

29 minutes ago, brickless_kiwi said:

Very environmentally conscious! Quite impressive.

But yeah, back to the contest!

Edited by Maaboo35

Is using 3D printed parts that I designed and printed allowed? 

Edited by Jayden

Sbricks are ok, can we use any battery option to power them like a single 9v battery instead of the LEGO battery pack options that are very large?