Jim

[TC22] Technic Small Construction Vehicle Contest - Discussion Topic

I had an idea, for an equipment I already want to make for a long time. A freestyle version of my alternate. But I just measured it and it's 15 W x 20 H x 47 L with just 2 liftarms making it that long to 47 (14100 cube studs). Without them it would be 15x20x33 = 9900 cube studs. My plan was to make a slightly larger version if I did a freestyle, but seems I will need to make it the same size as it will just fit if I implement some hinges.

@Jim would it be allowed to make a new MOC, but same size as an already posted MOC, same kind of machine? As it just fits the cubes with folded forkboard, it would be nearly same scale the new one.

51366072487_aaecf4b252_z.jpg

Else I would need to think what I'm going to make, atleast it will be something I operate myselve like this forklift.

Do I understand correctly that forklift counts as construction equipment?

I’d say yes to a forklift being construction equipment as you’d see one on a building site. Just like I’d say a scissor lift is too.

Would this:

Any model with wheels > build in yellow parts, add some black accents = construction vehicle

be a valid assumption?

1 minute ago, anyUser said:

Any model with wheels > build in yellow parts, add some black accents = construction vehicle

I don't think so :wink:

BrickLink - Set 8880-1 : LEGO Super Car [Technic:Model:Traffic] - BrickLink  Reference Catalog

8445-1.png

12 minutes ago, anyUser said:

Would this:

be a valid assumption?

I don’t think so … 🤣🤣🤣

49805582712_efcc538dc8_b.jpg

My weekend toy … definitely not a construction vehicle.

If it’s used on a building site, mine, quarry, etc that’s what I’d call a construction vehicle. If you google construction equipment / vehicle does an image of what you’re thinking of appear?

2 hours ago, Limga said:

Do I understand correctly that forklift counts as construction equipment?

It's what I drive at constructions sites. Along with telehandlers, scissor lifts, reach stackers, boom lifts. So yes that's all construction equipment. Most people just think about big, huge dump trucks etc, but there is so much more that is used in construction.

Even some kind of flatbed truck could be, as we use that to transport equipment from overseas containers to the installation zone for the parts. We use the forklift/crane to take out those parts and load/unload the truck. Install it with telehandlers/cranes/forklifts and use scissor lifts/boom lifts to screw in all bolts in place at height.

Edit: Added a random video from youtube with some equipment that people might not have thought would be construction equipment.

Edited by Mr Jos

Construction site forklifts differ (usaully) from those, used in storage rooms, but there are construction site forklifts. 

I bring up the question since it is shown in the video thumbnail... is forestry equipment considered construction? 

1 hour ago, aminnich said:

I bring up the question since it is shown in the video thumbnail... is forestry equipment considered construction? 

Good question - often making room for the construction is required...

Ok, thanks for doing the math for me! Sounds like that model just has some protrusions that drive up the volume without making it look much bigger.

2 hours ago, aminnich said:

I personally wouldn't say so.

24 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Ok, thanks for doing the math for me! Sounds like that model just has some protrusions that drive up the volume without making it look much bigger.

You’re welcome :classic:.

So if I make a loader it has to fit in a box but I can choose how it does so, e.g. tall and short or long and low or in between right?640x830.png

Yup

3 hours ago, aminnich said:

I think we can allow that.

4 hours ago, aminnich said:

... is forestry equipment considered construction?

Isn't really there so few kinds of construction vehicles?

34 minutes ago, ukbajadave said:

So if I make a loader it has to fit in a box but I can choose how it does so, e.g. tall and short or long and low or in between right?

16 minutes ago, Jim said:

Yup

Ok, then, when I fold the arm of my mining excavator down, the measurments change to 16W x 18H x 34L = 9792, so in the limits then.

@Jim:

Are the other mentioned things a problem for TC22 then?

• Already presented to a single person (I don't count the presentation on Eurobricks just now, as I would have to present it here anyways).
  • Reusing assemblies of 42121 (base with tracks and cabin, but can be changed if making it a non-alternate model)

44 minutes ago, Jim said:

I think we can allow that.

That to me is a bit of an odd move. Yes, there are construction vehicles that can be used in forestry, but more specialized vehicles such as tree harvesters and skidders don't really have any construction utility.

But you have the final say, Jim. Just adding my thoughts.

On 4/8/2022 at 8:55 PM, Jayden said:

I would assume buwizz 3 is allowed?

On 4/8/2022 at 9:05 PM, Jim said:

Yup, I have removed limitations on electronics and pull-back etc.

SaperPL

jim said this on page 1

9 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

That to me is a bit of an odd move. Yes, there are construction vehicles that can be used in forestry, but more specialized vehicles such as tree harvesters and skidders don't really have any construction utility.

But you have the final say, Jim. Just adding my thoughts.

They are modified construction equipment. Tree harvester is kin to an excavator or wheel loader (depending on style) and a skidder or forwarder is like a modified hauler.

7 minutes ago, TangersTechnic said:

Does a minimum size apply?

yes the limit is 10,000 cubic studs

1 hour ago, Jayden said:

yes the limit is 10,000 cubic studs

That's the maximum; I believe Jim jokingly said in the general contest topic that the minimum was 1 cubic stud...