Jim

[TC22] Technic Small Construction Vehicle Contest - Discussion Topic

So little time and so much of other stuff to do (school, work, etc.)

Not sure I can participate, but I'll be following others with great interest!

How should the size be calculated? Can I use specific shape of the individual models, or do I have to fit the model into a cube?

1 minute ago, NoEXIST said:

How should the size be calculated? Can I use specific shape of the individual models, or do I have to fit the model into a cube?

As I understand the rules, it should be fitted into a rectangular box of no more than 10 000 cubic studs in size, but you can choose the dimensions of the box as you see fit. So if you thing is shaped like the letter U, the empty space in between the sides is counted towards the total volume, you can't decide to exclude the empty space and claim that it fits into an U-shaped container of less than 10 000 cubic studs.

47 minutes ago, NoEXIST said:

It doesn't have to be a cube. There are examples in the rules.

Cool to see a new contest starting!

I've got one question about the rules, though. You state that the goal is to:

6 hours ago, Jim said:

Design a small LEGO Technic Construction model. Try to make it as official as possible.

But what do you mean by "Try to make it as official as possible"?

Does that mean that we should try to make our entries in a similar style to an official set?

If I can not do it anything this time too I will be officially on my dark ages, anybody has a cubic stud calculator pleaseor an app?.

14 minutes ago, jorgeopesi said:

If I can not do it anything this time too I will be officially on my dark ages, anybody has a cubic stud calculator pleaseor an app?.

The calculator app on your phone or computer will do fine.  Simple measure the length, width and height of the model in studs and multiply them (see the examples). We don't need cubic centimeters or something, just the 3 dimensions in studs multiplied.

44 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

But what do you mean by "Try to make it as official as possible"?

Does that mean that we should try to make our entries in a similar style to an official set?

Maybe it's better to remove that. It is a left-over from TC9 and this won't be a voting criteria this time.

Done!

Although I personally do prefer models which could be an actual set. Therefore, I would not use electronics in this scale and go for manual functions. But I am not sure whether the public jury is on my side, so it's up to each of you to decide. 

I feel like this question might get me laughed out of the Technic subforum, but just cuz I'm curious...

Does the vehicle have to be a real world construction vehicle?

What about, say, a futurist concept vehicle like the Zeux?

Or a vehicle from a fictional property, like this Thunderbirds truck? https://thunderbirds.fandom.com/wiki/Gray_%26_Houseman_Road_Construction_Vehicle

5 minutes ago, heyitsdisty said:

That is actually an interesting and valid question. I would like to hear the "people's" opinion on this.

5 hours ago, msk6003 said:

If model can fit inside 10,000CS, multi model is allowed?

I am inclined to allow this, but both models need to be construction vehicles. So not a truck that transports another vehicle. I'd rather say no to this question, but I am not sure why I would disallow it.

10 minutes ago, heyitsdisty said:

I feel like this question might get me laughed out of the Technic subforum, but just cuz I'm curious...

What about, say, a futurist concept vehicle like the Zeux?

Or a vehicle from a fictional property, like this Thunderbirds truck? https://thunderbirds.fandom.com/wiki/Gray_%26_Houseman_Road_Construction_Vehicle

My opinion would be that a futuristic concept model like Zeux would be fine, because it's basically just another version of a machine we know well.

I'd rule out fictional vehicles, at least those which are blatantly unrealistic, like a tunneling drill which you see in comics (with a single huge drillbit on the front cruising underground like a plane in the sky, as opposed to real life tunnel boring machines, which are quite a bit different looking and working machines).

6 minutes ago, howitzer said:

My opinion would be that a futuristic concept model like Zeux would be fine, because it's basically just another version of a machine we know well.

I'd rule out fictional vehicles, at least those which are blatantly unrealistic, like a tunneling drill which you see in comics (with a single huge drillbit on the front cruising underground like a plane in the sky, as opposed to real life tunnel boring machines, which are quite a bit different looking and working machines).

I agree something like the Zeux would be ok but doing a version of The Mole from Thunderbirds wouldn’t 

An interesting subject for a context, very open. I wonder if a vehicle like a Mercedes Unimog with some handling tools would be acceptable for the contest. I think I would go for it.

The question raised by @heyitsdisty is pretty good though, as I can immediately think of conceptually realistic ideas for things that could be regarded as construction machinery, but are impossible to construct with our level of technology. For example: a satellite for skyhook, which lifts materials from the surface of The Earth to orbit for construction of other orbital platforms.

I wouldn't mind keeping this contest in sort-of-realistic limits though, and leaving the more scifi-like and fantastic stuff for a future contest.

16 minutes ago, Jurss said:

Futuristic or retro OK, bot no for fictional.

I was thinking about this answer as well. And this seems to be the concensus, so let’s go for this.

16 minutes ago, TechnicWeirdo said:

Hi Jim! Just got started witrh EB

How do i submit my entry?

Hi. First you start a new topic starting with [TC22]. You need to post your progress there. And when you are done, you make a single post in the entry topic. The first post in the entry topic tells you what you need to post.

26 minutes ago, jorgeopesi said:

So if I do a dumper for example, It has to be inside the cubic measures when its bed is up, hasn't It?.

No I class it as when the bed is down as in the “stored”/filling up position. When the bed is tipped to empty it can be outside the box just like a crane can have a boom that when retracted is inside the box but when extended is outside.

About the voting process - is there going to be Jury stage? It's not stated there. If this may change, I'd like to note that only fair approach IMO to adding a Jury stage is to add vetting against the rules and to not affect popular votes that were already cast.

Having that out of the way - did it have to be a vehicle? not just construction equimpent? For example if someone figured out fitting a construction crane in those limits, it still needs to be a crawler crane, so we end up with more similar projects, potentially.

Does a pickup truck specially designed with a frame for glass transport count as a specially designed vehicle for construction work?

Can we use CADA micromotors or do the motors need to be Lego/Lego compliant in shape?

Btw, just out of curiosity - could a project made in cooperation by two users be submitted for voting? :D

Edited by SaperPL

19 hours ago, Jim said:

A model is 25 studs long, 15 studs high and 11 studs wide. This means the model has a dimension of 4.125 cubic studs, so it's allowed.

I'm still a bit confused on cubic studs. How was 4.125 cubic studs calculated from 25x15x11 studs here? I'm thinking of doing this contest so I just want to make sure I understand this before I begin planning my model.

EDIT: you mean 4125 cubic studs? I'm in the US and thought 4.125 was a decimal lol, since we would write it as 4,125.

Edited by JLiu15

1 hour ago, weavil said:

This is going to be another good contest! With my mini off road crane coming in at ~18,000 cubes, I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

How did you come to that number? I'm planning a somewhat similar crane with sightly larger tires, and getting just under the limit. I'd be curious to see which dimensions yours exceeds mine in, to check that my numbers make sense.

23 minutes ago, Jurss said:

I calculated, that it is something 50x18x11 = 9900 . 

i just used sariels model scaler and got 50x23x15 studs which = 17,250

Edited by Jayden