Sign in to follow this  
hewkii9

Everything you ever wanted to know

• Approximately, how many bricks they've ever made since Lego started to produce them?

More than 400 billion Lego bricks have been produced since 1958. There are about 62 Lego bricks per person of the Earth’s population.

WOW :oh:

Thanks for posting. It's a big list of surprising (mostly) good questions. Most of them were obvious but I'm glad that my opinion of one issue has at last been proven; :tongue:

Why there are no black minifigs?

When the minifigure was first introduced 30 years ago, it was given the iconic yellow skin tone to reflect the non-specific and transcendental quality of a child's imagination. In 2002, as more licensed properties were added to the assortment, the decision was made to introduce ethnic and skin tones more in keeping with the actual characters and personalities who were being replicated. This included the introduction of black minifigures. However, these ethnic minifigures are only used in our licensed sets, all Lego playthemes continue to use the generic yellow face.

Interesting stuff

• Why did they changed the founders rule to never make gun like elements.

The company still has a no gun policy when it comes to realistic or military play scenarios. However, in order to stay true to the strong licensed properties we incorporate to the Lego portfolio, we need to stay true to those properties and sometimes that involves including weapons. In our own play themes, some element of good vs. bad conflict is typically considered to provide for role play opportunities. In those instances, the setting is very clearly a fantasy world. (Fortunately, there are third-parties who do this, like the amazing people from Brickarms. J)

There...that explains the guns in the Agents sets. It all makes perfect sense to me deino2.gif

Ooh, this is great, very informative! :laugh:

What's with all the stickers lately? Don't they pre-print anything anymore? And if you have to take the stickers off to disassemble the sets, why not have replacement sheets available on Shop-at-home?

Certain elements are still pre-printed; however, we find that the stickers allow for even more details and more realism in any given set.

Details? In Lego? Boo! At least there are optional stickers unlike in Me*$#%0ks where they detail things using different molds for everything. :sceptic:

Any plans to refresh old sets like Blacktron or the monorail?

We are constantly looking back at the past to help shape the sets of the future. As of now there are no plans to refresh these sets, but what’s to come is always a mystery.

Yay! :thumbup:

I am a major fan of the Star Wars Lego, I have the Death Star on my coffee table, and I was wondering I they were ever going to make models based on the expanded universe?

That's what someone asked, but, they already do. :hmpf:

When are they going to be releasing an advanced model of the Batman rambler?

The Batman rambler? :wacko:

:skull:

Some very interesting facts. But, as usual, when it comes to talking about future sets, they used a roundabout way of answering the question. I know that they can't tell us anything, but it is still frustrating. The sticker thing got me too. The whole "it adds more detail" thing is a lame answer. It is cheaper and easier for them to produce all blank pieces and just give us little sticker sheets. They didn't even answer the part about replacement sheets. I don't really want to call customer service when I can't put the sticker on. All I want is my printed bricks. Luckily, I was able to get out before stickers became the norm. Still, there were some interesting items.

Edited by SWMAN

thanks for the (long) list, hewkii9. :thumbup: i learned quite a lot from this, and i was always wondering why theres only like 2 black minifigs. and like Deinonuychus pointed out, the guns dont make any sense. Theres plenty to go around in Indy and Agents... :wacko:

thanks for the (long) list, hewkii9. :thumbup: i learned quite a lot from this, and i was always wondering why theres only like 2 black minifigs. and like Deinonuychus pointed out, the guns dont make any sense. Theres plenty to go around in Indy and Agents... :wacko:

Actually, for once I wasn't being sarcastic there.

It seems the goal is for LEGO in-house themes and play patterns to be relatively free of modern military influences and realistic guns. But to do justice to the licenses, they'll make guns that correspond to what is pre-established in those franchises, like the Star Wars blasters or the handgun and machine gun weapons of the Batman line. It's sort of an end-run around the rule, but it works :thumbup:

I'm surprised nobody has wet themselves over this yet...

• What theme is the best seller, excluding Basic sets and town?

Every country has a different best-seller and as we rotate themes in and out different themes rise to the top. Over the last 50 years we have seen that Town, Space, Castle and Pirates are the evergreen themes that seem to always have a place in the hearts of Lego fans. Right now, Lego CITY is the number-one theme around the world, and other global best-sellers include Lego Star Wars, BIONICLE and Lego Indiana Jones.

TLC considers Pirates an evergreen theme. Lets go down the checklist.

-Rennaisance of LEGO Town - check

-Rennaisance of LEGO Space- check

-Rennaisance of LEGO Castle- check

-Rennaisance of Pirates- soon to come?

:cry_happy: :cry_happy: :cry_happy: :cry_happy:

Awesome article. Thanks for sharing it with us, hewkii. :thumbup:

Right now, Lego CITY is the number-one theme around the world,

YES! I'm so happy for this. :cry_happy: This assures that City will be around for a long while - since TLC now always continues producing themes that sell well. It also really shows how dumb TLC was in the dark ages - refusing to produce all their core themes and instead producing crud like Galidor, Island Extreme Stunts, Znap, and Jack Stone is a surefire way to go out of buisness. :tongue:

Edited by Grevious