Roses

[MOC] Would you hurt a fly?

Fly Samurai

After a few months of Star Wars MOCs, it feels good to build a character again. I wanted to get back in the mood slowly and build something small like a normal fly, but the head turned out pretty human-like, so I just went with the full character route.

It's been a while since I worked with organic shapes, but finding a use for those minifigure mustaches, an old knight helmet and a nanofigure was a lot of fun. Who knew those dozens of tiny Racers tires would come in handy some day?

Fly Samurai

23 hours ago, ExeSandbox said:

I'd be demolished by this fly :jollyroger:

Very nice work with the sculpt! It's giving me Jin-Roh vibes. 

Thank you! I've never watched Jin-Roh but I'm pretty sure I've seen those Wolf Brigade characters in passing before, and I absolutely see the resemblance. This is the second time I'm making a gas mask / insect proboscis-type head and using Technic ball joints to make red eyes - I guess the image of the beady red eyes against the black gas mask stuck with me as super creepy & menacing :tongue:

6 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Yes I would ...but not this fly!

Great design and beautiful eyes ...I like also the use of mustaches! :wub:

Thank you :classic:, I gotta find a use for those minifig accessories somehow!

This is a great MOC. Are the skirt pieces actually attached to the model or are they just held in place with the yellow band? If so that must have been a pain in the backside to place!

Very cool build! 

I am working on a (human girl) figure from one of my favorite Anime rn, and seing how different one can build when not building a human is very interesting!

Especially that "skirt" (idk what else to call it) is new to me. I would have never thought to use a rubber band to hold bricks in place, as this makes the figure very fragile. But it does look good.

What happened to his wings btw? I think he would look a lot cooler if he had wings :grin:

On 3/30/2022 at 8:21 AM, Hunter003 said:

This is a great MOC. Are the skirt pieces actually attached to the model or are they just held in place with the yellow band? If so that must have been a pain in the backside to place!

9 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

Very cool build! 

I am working on a (human girl) figure from one of my favorite Anime rn, and seing how different one can build when not building a human is very interesting!

Especially that "skirt" (idk what else to call it) is new to me. I would have never thought to use a rubber band to hold bricks in place, as this makes the figure very fragile. But it does look good.

Thank you! The rubber band helps keep the 1x4 tiles with studs at a slight angle. The tiles themselves alternate between two steering wheels stacked on top of each other (part 2819 - https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=2819&idColor=86#T=C&C=86) and are connected with 1x1 clips. It's tricky to get all the tiles lined up, but the rubber band helps with that.

9 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

What happened to his wings btw? I think he would look a lot cooler if he had wings :grin:

Wanting to use Geonosian wings was the reason I started building a regular fly! It quickly turned into a full humanoid character, though, so the minifigure wings were too small to use. I don't have any large, soft, transparent plastic wings, so I tried using some silver Bionicle wing elements, but they stuck out too much so I left them out.

I'd like to make a second version of this character with increased mobility, wings & unsheathed Katana at some point. Perhaps they could be brick-built with some 3mm hoses and a whole bunch of droid arms and minifigure hands...?

4 hours ago, Roses said:

Thank you! The rubber band helps keep the 1x4 tiles with studs at a slight angle. The tiles themselves alternate between two steering wheels stacked on top of each other (part 2819 - https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=2819&idColor=86#T=C&C=86) and are connected with 1x1 clips. It's tricky to get all the tiles lined up, but the rubber band helps with that.

Wanting to use Geonosian wings was the reason I started building a regular fly! It quickly turned into a full humanoid character, though, so the minifigure wings were too small to use. I don't have any large, soft, transparent plastic wings, so I tried using some silver Bionicle wing elements, but they stuck out too much so I left them out.

I'd like to make a second version of this character with increased mobility, wings & unsheathed Katana at some point. Perhaps they could be brick-built with some 3mm hoses and a whole bunch of droid arms and minifigure hands...?

You could use the wing parts from the Ant-Man set. Those are vaguely insect like

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=ant01#T=C&C=0

This is a really cool build. I do have to wonder. How stable is it? Will anything fall off easily if it's moved around?

4 hours ago, Takanuinuva said:

You could use the wing parts from the Ant-Man set. Those are vaguely insect like

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=ant01#T=C&C=0

This is a really cool build. I do have to wonder. How stable is it? Will anything fall off easily if it's moved around?

Thank you, the head and torso are rather sturdy, if picked up from the right places, but the connection between the legs and the hips is rather flimsy. Stability and posability are the weakest aspects of my characters :sceptic:, but I'm working towards making stronger builds that can be displayed in different poses (it's hard to sacrifice looks for functionality, though!)