Roses

[MOC] BTL Y-Wing

Minifigure-scale-ish Y-Wing

I built this one a few weeks (months?) ago but never got around to sharing it here. I disassembled the last UCS Y-Wing to get some parts to build this one (mainly for the engines), which is a tad bit closer to minifigure scale, but still too big. Nevertheles, matching the greebles to the studio model of the Y-Wing was a lot of fun and I think the final result turned out pretty neat.

I'm sometimes late posting here :tongue:, but you can always check out my other minifigure-scale-ish Star Wars builds on my profile or on my Instagram account @rosesmustbuild 

!@#$%^&*(! ÎÓˆˇŒ„´‰ˇÁ¨ˆØÅÍνÓÔÒ¸˛Ç◊ı˜Â¯˘¿ÒÚÆ’»”—›°€˝ˆˆÅ◊¨ˆ ˝ÁˆØÒÒÒÓ˝ˆÁ ¨ØÁÍ˝Å!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ÍÓˆˇ!

It's amazing! I love it! It's all I've ever wanted! 

WOW!

Wonderful job, sir.

Excellent build.  My favorite part is the brick-built yellow stripes on the nose cone.

Great moc all around! My favorites are the nose section and also the greebling on the main body. I love it :wub:

I only feel like the astromech would match better with the ship if the droid had an other color.

This is astounding, especially the cockpit section. Makes the UCS look like poo in comparison.

Thank you all for the comments!

I'm glad you all like the cockpit and the yellow stripes -  they were the very first thing I built. I was underwhelmed by the UCS' curved slopes solution, so I really wanted the head of the ship to be as smooth as possible and to give the yellow stripes the slight curve that they have at the 90-degree bend.

22 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Great moc all around! My favorites are the nose section and also the greebling on the main body. I love it :wub:

I only feel like the astromech would match better with the ship if the droid had an other color.

Thank you! I did think about switching the reddish brown bars for light-bluish-grey and the astromech droid for an R5-F7 that I have, to make an alternate version, but ended up going with the Gold Leader's R2-BHD. I'd like to Photoshop edit the MOC into the Death Star trench in the future, though, so having different astromechs could be a good idea to represent different Y-Wings in the squadron :classic:

Looks oddly familiar at first glance... and then does not :D

It is slightly bigger scale than mine, right? I wonder if engines shouldn't be 8-wide. And this should be possible with new domes available in 4x4 variant, at least if they were released in white.

Would it be possible to make the cockpit curve a bit toward the front when looked from the top? I don't remember it very well but IIRC it was not just a trapezoid shape, but one with slighly curved sides, hm.

Were you able to incorporate missile launcher tubes at the bottom?

3 hours ago, Jerac said:

Looks oddly familiar at first glance... and then does not :D

It is slightly bigger scale than mine, right? I wonder if engines shouldn't be 8-wide. And this should be possible with new domes available in 4x4 variant, at least if they were released in white.

Would it be possible to make the cockpit curve a bit toward the front when looked from the top? I don't remember it very well but IIRC it was not just a trapezoid shape, but one with slighly curved sides, hm.

Were you able to incorporate missile launcher tubes at the bottom?

I think mine is at a slightly bigger scale than your version - it's about 50 x 29cm. Nevertheless, the 6x6 domes are the closest solution to stay within minifigure-ish-scale. 8-wide domes would result in a much larger than minifigure-scale Y-Wing, though. I wouldn't be surprised if TLG went with that solution if they were to re-re-remake it as a UCS model :tongue:

I only noticed the slight, gradual inward curve of the cockpit section when I was already done with it. I checked out your model and tried to whip something up using mainly the sides of the cockpit like you did, while keeping the straight line of the angled panels, but since the sides sections are built upside down, the anti-studs showed, so I just left it as is.

The underside is plain-ish, compared to the top, and the few details use similar solutions to the UCS, mainly the center of the body with the 2x2 dish & 1x4 arches (is that the missile launcher tube? I'm not sure what detail you're referring to).

46 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Gorgeous realization! :wub_drool:

I like how you made the rear thrusters and the details on the main body of the Y wing! :thumbup:

Thank you! I love working with tiny pieces so building the whole body was a blast.

This is the sexiest thing I have seen in quite a while.  Ooohhh the angles.  And yes, I have been a little lonely lately. :pir-laugh:

21 hours ago, Roses said:

Thank you! I love working with tiny pieces so building the whole body was a blast.

Wow, you are the opposite of me: I know that the small parts make the difference but they represent the most boring construction phase of the building ...your talent is undoubtedly superior to mine. :classic:

I love how the nose flows together with the angles! :thumbup:

I get what you mean with working with small pieces, when I build my 1:8 Scale Supercar MOCs some of the biggest fun is doing all the Piping and other details in the engine bay :wub:

As others have said, great job on both of the extremes: smooth curves on the nose and accurate greebling on the body.

It has amazing detail, and great accuracy! You make official sets of Y-wing miserable.  

Edited by Darth Legomenon

I see the small rotating turret on the top of the cockpit is fixed using a tooth, which doesn't really hold it in place. How about using LEGO 20482 instead?

15 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

I see the small rotating turret on the top of the cockpit is fixed using a tooth, which doesn't really hold it in place. How about using LEGO 20482 instead?

I did consider various legal solutions to the cockpit turret, but I ended up going with the small tooth to give it a veeery slight upward angle, so that it points forward instead of downwards like the rest of the cockpit.

I think tooth pieces are made with a different kind of plastic than normal bricks, making them slightly more rubbery and malleable. The tooth is just jammed into the Technic piece and the connection is quite secure.