Sign in to follow this  
MKJoshA

The Tragedy of Turin Part 2

Turin Part 02

"That dwelling was named Menegroth, the Thousand Caves... The pillars of Menegroth were hewn in the likeness of the beeches of Oromë, stock, bough, and leaf, and they were lit with lanterns of gold. The nightingales sang there as in the gardens of Lórien; and there were fountains of silver, and basins of marble, and floors of many-coloured stones. Carven figures of beasts and birds there ran upon the walls, or climbed upon the pillars, or peered among the branches entwined with many flowers... But Túrin and his companions passing through great perils came at last to the borders of Doriath; and there they were found by Beleg Strongbow, chief of the marchwardens of King Thingol, who led them to Menegroth. Then Thingol received Túrin, and took him even to his own fostering, in honour of Húrin the Steadfast; for Thingol’s mood was changed towards the houses of the Elf-friends."
-Tolkein, The Silmarillion

1280x740.JPG

I have been fascinated by Menegroth for a long time. Tolkien's description (much of it quoted above) always painted a vivid image in my imagination. I actually made a "first draft" attempt at Menegroth back in 2019. But I wasn't happy with it and planned to try again for this Turin series. I'm actually still not thrilled. I've captured the essentials that I had in mind, but have by no means done it justice. To do that I'd need more trees to create almost a stone forest. And trying to hide animals in the stone walls proved particularly difficult for me.

1280x388.JPG

The floor was made using this technique.

And you can see the first part in my Turin series here.

I don't know when I'll get to part 3. Maybe before Brickworld in June, but more likely afterwards.

Fantastic build and homage to the Tolkien’s work! So much details to look at and love, especially the floor!

I pictured Menegroth more like Thranduil’s Hall with green and brown/dark tan shades, but this is a great take on it.

I really like the designs in the walls and floor.  The throne looks great.  Nice looking figs too.  

Silmarillion MOCs are always a nice surprise. Good job on this one. Since this is part 2, are we going to see Glaurung later? :)

Great work. I like every detail, especially the floors and the patterns in the walls. I look forward to seeing more of the scenes from this story - are there any plans of creating more Tolkien/Silmarillion stories after this one?