dickylaban

[MOC] Toyota Corolla E20 Coupe (1970-1978)

This is my first attempt to build a small RC model car based on a real car.
The model is powered by 2L PU motor & small PU hub.
The turning radius is 30cm
I try to matched the color as closed as possible with the dark azure for the parts in medium blue.
The white one is the most complete parts available for the model.

Please share your opinion & suggestion to improve this model.
Thank you.

Blogged by https://thelegocarblog.com/.../boring-except-when-its-not/
Building instructions : https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-107750/Legoku/toyota-corolla-se20-coupe-1970-1978/

This is the real build :

This is the virtual build with Stud.io :

Edited by dickylaban
building instruction link added

That seems like a interesting build, given the scale and the fact it is motorized. Could you please share more pictures? I am very curious how it is all packed together and how the steering is done. A chassis / underside shot would be nice.

More photos would indeed be appreciated.

I like the use of some parts, particularly the new panels for headrests and links for A-pillars.

I really like the shape of this car, one of those rare cases when the wheel arches are smoothly integrated into the rest of the curved body! The front also looks pretty good, and nice parts usage in many places. Indeed some more pictures including the drivetrain/steering would be appreciated.

Really cool, well done!

Notice that there are more pictures available when sliding through the Flickr album when clicking on the first picture…

1 hour ago, GerritvdG said:

Really cool, well done!

Notice that there are more pictures available when sliding through the Flickr album when clicking on the first picture…

Oh, I totally missed that one, thanks for pointing it out!

As for the car itself, the chassis looks nice and simple, with very effective solutions on drive & steer. Though I wonder about that clutch gear, wouldn't a normal 24T gear work as well, considering that you can precisely control the PU motors? And if the wheels go out of sync due to the clutch, steering won't work correctly unless it's calibrated again.

9 hours ago, proran said:

That seems like a interesting build, given the scale and the fact it is motorized. Could you please share more pictures? I am very curious how it is all packed together and how the steering is done. A chassis / underside shot would be nice.

Thank you for your interest of my model.
You can find more picture by hovering to the right/left side of the picture & click the arrow to see the next picture in the album of my Flickr.

7 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

I really like the shape of this car, one of those rare cases when the wheel arches are smoothly integrated into the rest of the curved body! The front also looks pretty good, and nice parts usage in many places. Indeed some more pictures including the drivetrain/steering would be appreciated.

Thank you.

8 hours ago, howitzer said:

More photos would indeed be appreciated.

I like the use of some parts, particularly the new panels for headrests and links for A-pillars.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, howitzer said:

Oh, I totally missed that one, thanks for pointing it out!

As for the car itself, the chassis looks nice and simple, with very effective solutions on drive & steer. Though I wonder about that clutch gear, wouldn't a normal 24T gear work as well, considering that you can precisely control the PU motors? And if the wheels go out of sync due to the clutch, steering won't work correctly unless it's calibrated again.

The steering can not auto return to center due to the use of the clutch gear and control by the PU remote controller, but it gives a very small turning radius of 30cm.

I have tried to use the 24T gear before I replaced it with the clutch gear, it can not stand the torque from the driving motor since it has been gear down to 3:1.

6 hours ago, dickylaban said:

The steering can not auto return to center due to the use of the clutch gear and control by the PU remote controller, but it gives a very small turning radius of 30cm.

I have tried to use the 24T gear before I replaced it with the clutch gear, it can not stand the torque from the driving motor since it has been gear down to 3:1.

Yeah, I'm sure the motor will make the gears to skip rather than stall the motor, but I wonder if the motor could be controlled in such a way that it would stop after turning far enough in either direction even if the turn button is pressed, and then return to center when it's released? That way you could have a return to center steering and use normal gears.

Love it! So smooth! Wanna hold it in my hands forever:pir-love:

ezgif-63369671.gif

Everything good, especially I like, how You did instrument panel with those turning signal or/and wiper switches (storks)

6 hours ago, rm8 said:

Love it! So smooth! Wanna hold it in my hands forever:pir-love:

ezgif-63369671.gif

Thank you.

6 hours ago, Jurss said:

Everything good, especially I like, how You did instrument panel with those turning signal or/and wiper switches (storks)

Thank you.

Wow, this looks so nice! RC and great looks! A great combination! Cool that you can barely see the PU components. Keep up the great work!

Nice model, the rear being my favorite part of it and lots of details. :thumbup: And being RC makes it even cooler. It shows how useful all these new parts are - when you have them at hand. :wink:

9 hours ago, brickhead_07 said:

Wow, this looks so nice! RC and great looks! A great combination! Cool that you can barely see the PU components. Keep up the great work!

Thank you.

5 hours ago, johnnym said:

Nice model, the rear being my favorite part of it and lots of details. :thumbup: And being RC makes it even cooler. It shows how useful all these new parts are - when you have them at hand. :wink:

Thank you.
Some of the new part are not available in dark azure, so I try to replaced it with medium blue.
The only complete color available is white as you can see in the second picture.(build with Stud.io)

10 hours ago, Hrafn said:

Such clean bodywork!  I would love to see a video or gif of it moving.

Thank you.
I will try to make a short video later.

What a great simple RC design that have wonderful view. This clearly shows the point the Lego Technic is reached.

The missing dark azure, somehow, makes the color more beautiful for me.

Yes, a real-time video will be nice.

It seems a challenge to built this design with power functions.

Will you provide the instruction?

On 3/27/2022 at 3:36 AM, DHal said:

What a great simple RC design that have wonderful view. This clearly shows the point the Lego Technic is reached.

The missing dark azure, somehow, makes the color more beautiful for me.

Yes, a real-time video will be nice.

It seems a challenge to built this design with power functions.

Will you provide the instruction?

Thank you.
It will be a problem to position the IR module when you built with power functions, maybe it can be place in top of the front bonnet.
The other option is using a buWizz.
Video & instruction will be available soon.

On 4/1/2022 at 9:06 AM, noahtheb said:

I love the shaping on this one!

Thank you.

On 3/22/2022 at 9:09 PM, Hrafn said:

Such clean bodywork!  I would love to see a video or gif of it moving.

Video added.

On 3/22/2022 at 1:41 PM, howitzer said:

Yeah, I'm sure the motor will make the gears to skip rather than stall the motor, but I wonder if the motor could be controlled in such a way that it would stop after turning far enough in either direction even if the turn button is pressed, and then return to center when it's released? That way you could have a return to center steering and use normal gears.

I have modified the steering structure, now it can use the 'return to center' feature of the PU L motor.
Please check the video.

I have modified the steering structure in order to adopt the 'return to center' feature of the PU L motor, it has a lot of consideration to make this happened with the small size.
I also build a display turntable to show the model, I'm planning to make the instructions later.

4 hours ago, dickylaban said:

I have modified the steering structure in order to adopt the 'return to center' feature of the PU L motor, it has a lot of consideration to make this happened with the small size.
I also build a display turntable to show the model, I'm planning to make the instructions later.

Seems to work great, very nice!