AlexGdD

[MOC] Goldorak - UFO Robo Grendizer

Hi all,

Two years ago my girlfriend's son challenged me to build a 20cm Goldorak (Grendizer), my TV hero from 1978.

I first believed it would be impossible, as I remember vividly trying to build a good-looking one with the parts available in the late 70s - fat chance !

So in 2020, I started browsing the Net for Grendizer and Mazinger MOCs, as well as other mechas for inspiration. I loved the models built by Len_d69, samsky76, Marco de Bon, Andrea Chaipella, Kaho82, Moko, but none was capturing the proportions of my hero to my satisfaction.

After many, many hours of prototyping with real- and virtual- bricks (thanks MLCad, I love you), I could offer the boy his own Lego Grendizer for his Birthday.

One year later, I've discovered how to make renderings with Blender so I can make clean pics of my creations... (it takes so long making real photos) so here's a selection.

51949525126_d0881a16bc_c_d.jpg

The figure stands 20cm tall, with a lot of articulations giving a lot of posing value.

51949525101_71f510c258_c_d.jpg

Here's a little fight to prove the point :

51941951116_30472f08d6_c_d.jpg

Here are some of the baddies (Golgoths in French) he can fight with :

51942041678_9db7a8efb7_c_d.jpg

... and here's an ally in the form of his buddy Mazinger (I'll make a post for this one, who is much more famous than Grendizer ;-).

51942040923_34b38b9d4b_c_d.jpg

You can see more on my Grendizer album !

Enjoy,

Alexandre

Welcome to Eurobricks! you started already with greatness! Love how "non-Lego" this looks like!

Love your super robots! You've done Grendizer and Mazinger Z, we gotta round it off with Great Mazinger now.

This is AWESOME!!! I love evey bit (stud!) of it :pir-love:

You absolutely won the challenge! :thumbup:

If I can make a request...please try Daitarn III (Daitān 3) with the two variants of Mach Patrol  :excited:

Ciao!

Davide

Hi all,

thanks a lot for your compliments !!!

I've just updated my build to look sexier - I removed two shoulder joints. It's not much less poseable but now Grendizer looks more fit - no more "square" torso !!!

51971594451_8285ff6941_c_d.jpg

I did the same for powerful enemy Golgoth 7 / Gin-Gin :

51971594511_4c5fb7150c_c_d.jpg

Hope you like the mods !

Edited by AlexGdD
Updated Grendizer pic link

Hi all,

for the Go Nagai fans and historians, you might be interested in this super robot :

52066387609_57b5ff16e9_c_d.jpg

It's Roboizer, the "prototype" of Grendizer. It featured in a movie that Toei created to test the next robot to feature in the Mazinger saga, but the design was not popular and evolved into the Grendizer we know and love.

This one is very simple and plain, but does have a certain retro charm !

Hey man, great MOCs and great renders! Mech designs like Mazinger's and Grendizer's are hard to capture in Lego, as their roundness and cartoony-ness can look kind of silly if replicated with simple pieces. However, I think that these bots perfectly blend the simplistic curves with the right amount of detail to capture the original designs 1 to 1 while looking attractive and interesting. I especially like how you made the triangular stripes on Grendizer's forearms.

Thanks for your compliments ! Indeed I first thought they would be impossible to render in Lego but I am pretty proud of the result.

Only the heads, and more specifically the eyes, still bug me as they are too "cyclopean".

I dream of new head parts from the Lego Group. But, hey - that would be too easy I guess !!!