Murdoch17

Neo-classical style City bank - real world modular-style MOC

My brother built this two-story building originally for his town hall on a whim. He never liked it and was going to scrap it, until I convinced him to sell it to me for $30 instead. When my brother owned it, it was completely empty and without any real roof like it now has. However, it originally did have a huge 6x6 clock dish where the dollar sign now is. (He kept that part, but I don't mind)

51942597631_1bd0154572_z.jpg

I've turned it into a neo-classical style bank, styled after the town hall from the Back to the Future films. The dollar sign piece was reverse-engineered from Brick City Depot pictures of their bank. The building is replacing my 2011-vintage Gringotts bank MOD, based on part of set 10217. (Diagon Alley)

51942920509_dbbef3f1cb_z.jpg

The blank rear wall.

51942597651_572eb57047_z.jpg

There are supposed to be 13,800 "dollars" in the vault in 100 dollar notes. As to what's in the chest: it might be the Holy Grail... or Jimmy Hoffa's body. No-body knows! :wink: The printed vault door from "the Incredibles" series of sets is in there, but not visible in this shot.

51942682393_f5ee868058_z.jpg

I have four teller windows (two on left, two on right) to the model's first floor.

There is also a Bank truck coming eventually.

Comments, questions, or suggestions welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

I think it is very cool. If I might give some unsolicited feedback, it is a bit on the white side. A bit more depth and a splash of color would make it even better in my opinion! Although I must recognize that actual buildings follow this pattern so maybe it is just realistic. Good job either way, I like it!

On 3/16/2022 at 6:17 PM, Poodabricks said:

Amazing! I love what you did with the vault there. 

Thanks @Poodabricks!

On 3/17/2022 at 1:37 AM, hoppa said:

I think it is very cool. If I might give some unsolicited feedback, it is a bit on the white side. A bit more depth and a splash of color would make it even better in my opinion! Although I must recognize that actual buildings follow this pattern so maybe it is just realistic. Good job either way, I like it!

Yeah, you've got a a point about the color @hoppa. However, as you also stated, it is accurate to some older buildings of this style, so in the coloration it will stay. Thanks for the compliments, though!

6 hours ago, gotoAndLego said:

Good job on the dollar sign.

Thanks @gotoAndLego, but you'll actually have to thank Brick City Depot, because the sign I reverse engineered and improved was theirs. Here is the link to their website for more pictures and where you can buy instructions for their modular building models. (It actually has winter village, train, military and more MOC's instructions for sale besides town and is 100% worth a look!)

Edited by Murdoch17

Very cool. I much prefer the large windows on the side walls, they look a bit 'grander' than the ones on the front. 

Maybe some frills / fiddly bits along the top of the roofline?

On 3/18/2022 at 7:17 PM, legominiguy said:

This is awesome. The money stacked in the vault is just brilliant :classic:

Thanks @legominiguy! Gotta have a lot of cash for a bank! Although, to be honest, it's actually a terribly small amount for a bank... I wonder why it's so small? We need somebody to investigate this mysterious mass withdrawal...

51941576607_006d5fa197_z.jpg

We need someone... INCREDIBLE! :wink:

10 hours ago, Merlict said:

Very cool. I much prefer the large windows on the side walls, they look a bit 'grander' than the ones on the front. 

Maybe some frills / fiddly bits along the top of the roofline?

Great idea about the roofline, @Merlict! I'll look into that for sure. I might use "garage door" 1 x 2 bricks, or grille bricks. (Currently unsure on which would look better and I don't have the model in LDD to mess around with.)