Tom_castlefan

Revisiting old topics (Bumping)

I just have a problem when someone bumps a review or something from, like, 2006! Or pointless discussion threads, that too....

Why, if it's a good review, which you might not find on your own as it's buried too deep, what's the problem? And I would say it's better to add on to an old discussion than to have several disjointed discussions on the same topic...

I wondered whether it had anything to do with available memory, but I really have no idea how websites work.

Why, if it's a good review, which you might not find on your own as it's buried too deep, what's the problem? And I would say it's better to add on to an old discussion than to have several disjointed discussions on the same topic...

Whether you have something substantive to add to the discussion is always the most important criterion. Simply complimenting someone on a good review long after it's been posted probably isn't a good idea, for example.

I wondered whether it had anything to do with available memory, but I really have no idea how websites work.

No, it doesn't. We generally try to keep discussions concentrated in one topic by merging similar topics. For sets, we generally have news/discussion topics and (sometimes multiple) review topics though.

an member should be able to post a thing like "good work or nice moc" and not get warned for it. Its on the website so its open game for anyone to comment on so your cant really stop people.

an member should be able to post a thing like "good work or nice moc" and not get warned for it. Its on the website so its open game for anyone to comment on so your cant really stop people.

Then what is to stop people continually bumping their MOC post to get more comments? E.G. Replying Thank you to every single post in their MOC.

Hello new member! Please familiarise yourself with our rules and guidelines, we have a standing request for correct capitalisation.

The request to not bump old threads is actually to help all our members see the new threads instead of losing them amongst years-old topics that someone has returned to the top page for a simple "Cool Moc!1!11!XD".

If everyone was posting in threads that are old then the new are lost and members lose interest.

Also, with some threads, the OP no longer uses the site, so a comment won't be seen or noticed anyway.

A third issue is spamming around posting in very old threads simply to increase post count. This is suspicious as a number of features are unlocked at certain post levels, so someone dropping insubstantial posts in older threads looks to be someone wishing to access forum features quickly which most often means abuse/misuse of the website.

I hope this makes sense and you enjoy using the forum for a long time to come.

Really so you will be warning me every time i post a comment on any page that is over a month old. I see that as limiting my FREEDOM OF SPEECH, i can post what i want a page that is over a month old and not get warned for it like i can say "Nice MOC" and not get warned for it. There is nothing wrong with commenting what you want on a old page over a month old i can say "nice moc" on any moc page over a month old.

No, you can't. By signing up on Eurobricks you accepted the site rules and guidelines. If you don't comply with them, you'll get warned.

Hi, are "theme revival/future speculation" threads or "new theme ideas" threads acceptable to bump from dormancy if they haven't been touched in more than a year, or should a newer topic in the same vein be started instead?

12 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Hi, are "theme revival/future speculation" threads or "new theme ideas" threads acceptable to bump from dormancy if they haven't been touched in more than a year, or should a newer topic in the same vein be started instead?

If you feel that you meet the criteria WhiteFang has written, then it's best to revive. If you are considering reviving an old thread vs. creating a new one to say something like "I agree, monorail should come back.", do neither  :wink:

On 7/20/2009 at 9:27 PM, WhiteFang said:

As an Eurobricks member, it's perfectly alright to revive dead/old threads to re-ignite the discussion, if some of the following conditions are met,

1) The member must have a valid discussion point to raise in terms of constructive input, suggestions, recommendations, advice, ideas, views and etc that is able to justify the member's input by adding value to the topic. On the other hand, if the member adds in one line sentences with poor structure and value such as "This MOC is great.", "Can you show me how you do it? and "This is so cool!". Such input are simply pointless.

2) Reviving them, must have a sense of purpose in terms of relevance. For example, reviving a topic such as MOC, Reviews or recent discussions serve purpose. These topics do not have an expiry date attached to it. However, if topics such as "past news" or "sets speculations", and comments such as this "Hey, I knew this set was coming all along in the Viking series." and "You guys whom have guessed it right on the battlepacks. Kudos to you all." Well, for a known fact, we know such topics are already past news and there is simply no point and no reason for it to be ever revived.

3) Members are strongly encouraged to use "Search" function to check if similar discussion has ever exist in Eurobricks boards, and most of the time, some discussions do exist. We do not need similar discussions to be fragmented into multiple topics. Therefore, always have a habit of searching the forums by using keywords and revive them, if necessary.

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Darkdragon said:

If you feel that you meet the criteria WhiteFang has written, then it's best to revive. If you are considering reviving an old thread vs. creating a new one to say something like "I agree, monorail should come back.", do neither  :wink:

That was quite a flashback to memory lane when I state that statement years ago. Till this date, it's still valid. Our Darkdragon know the EB history well enough. :sweet: 

Sorry to bump this up ... 

this topic is rather important to me, simply due of the wealth of information available within this forum - and my own time constraints. It is hard to follow each and every relevant post to projects I am pursuing myself. When the "search" function does dig up things and they are relevant to me, then I do consider "bumping" as good thing, provided: It may be of value to others (and not just for me - that does not make any sense, PM is the way to go). That "maybe" bit is of course judged from my very own perspective - and this is where moderators come in. What else? Do I feel bad, when called to behave? No, not at all. It is >my< choice to behave and it is entirely the choice of the moderators to check on that. Otherwise I shouldn't be here. This is not about "doing what they want" - it is about "doing what they allow here". And all I can tell is that moderators allow a lot.      

I never saw any complaints from the moderators when a "Sorry for bumping" >and< a "good" reason was given. What is "good" or not is in the hands of the moderators, as we are just providing the reason. Moderating means exactly that: Here is a playground, do what you want, but don't play against the rules. The rules are fully visible to all players.

I feel very comfortable posting on Eurobricks. And this is mainly caused by the way "Moderators" - aka individuals, people who do use their valuable time - and - who do care about the LEGO miracle - run this forum.

Thank you very much for doing that.

All the very best,
Thorsten   

As a moderator on another forum (non-LEGO) I am an avid supporter of the "Death Thread Arise"-principle.

a) It reduces duplicate threads

b) when someone invented the wheel in 2008 no need to invent it again. Just use the main source (thread).

c) it is rather nice to see things from the past which have been forgotten or not seen by new members emerging on the first page again.

It always amazes me when I see someone post on a thread that hasn't been above for seven years... How do you even find that thread? And really... just to say 'I really like this.'?!

If a thread is that old and something makes the subject relevant again then I'm happy for a new thread to be opened... if there's no interest other than one person commenting it'll die again... If I was looking at something like the SW forum lots of things are picked up on by Mods and joined into existing threads like the general question thread. I think that's a good way of doing it.

There was some threads recently commented on and it looks like the user just searched a keyword in the forum search and then made a 'Nice MOC' comment on each one regardless of age... that just seems silly to me.