Tom_castlefan

Revisiting old topics (Bumping)

Ok, thanks for your explanations.

Don´t panic, I´m not the one who needs a huge posting count for my ego.

It was just a question how to react here in the right way.

I will follow the guidelines.

Thank you both.

I loled and I'm at work. Thanks a lot! :laugh:

I wouldn't laugh. It sounds like a moste grotesque art. :look:

Regarding this thread: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2852&st=0&gopid=1243867entry1243867

I'm sorry if I happened to use the search facility to dig out an old thread. Surely that is what it is there for?

I happened to have an interest in this set, and therefore felt it within my rights to post on what was clearly not a locked thread. It seemed far easier to post on that thread than go through a whole description about the set I was discussing.

Why did I not use the "What did you Buy Today?" thread? Because I didn't buy it today, nor recently, it is something I brought out of the cupboard.

You then helpfully locked it so that I could not reply to your particularly unwelcoming comment. Not a good way to encourage new-ish members. I'm sure that you will dismiss this comment and quite possible respond with a sarcastic message, but I personally felt obliged to respond.

Edited by glyn

If you read the Guidelines, you'd be able to answer this question yourself. Since you did not, I advise you to read this.

I'm revisiting this old topic to remind people of our stance on this! :grin: In summary;

1. Eurobricks is site about LEGO and as long as I am here, that will remain its focus. For that reason posting in an old LEGO topic is always better than posting in an old community topic. The entire community forum is just here so people can share off-topic interests and get to know each other better. For that reason Community topics date really fast so as a rough guideline anything older than a month is dubious. But as always, it does depend on the details. Topics like EB Members' titles archive are obviously different, as are ones like Car Talk if you've posted in them in the past.

2. Sales topics are a special example. People often bump there for purely selfish reasons and this is just not acceptable. When one topic is bumped up, the rest are bumped down. With settings of 40 topics per page there are topics in that forum covering about 15 days. Thus if someone posts a topic in there it'll be reasonably viewable for 2 weeks, so there really is no need to bump. If no one wants the items it's better to just accept it rather than being selfish and sabotage someone else's chance. What is classed as bumping in a sales topic? Well the ones in the link above are blatant examples but several "updates" in a row without any posts from other members is much the same. Ultimately the best way to tell is simple; ask yourself why are you posting. If it's really to add something you should be OK, but if you have any doubts, or if little or no interest has been shown in your post, then you probably shouldn't post the update. There are other ways to sell LEGO after all.

3. LEGO reviews don't date. Thus if you have something relevant to say then feel free to post in a topic, but if it's more than a few months old please make sure it's good.... and if it's been a few years it better be really good! For example, if you liked the review or set and want to say so you probably shouldn't. If you've got an answer to a question (such as "Does anyone have pictures of the alternate model?) then by all means post! What you shouldn't do is ask questions to the original poster; he/she may not even visit EB any more.

4. LEGO MOCs do date, but once again if you have something important to add then it's OK. It may sound lame, but knowing the original poster or being a long term member really makes the difference here.

5. LEGO or site issue topics are almost always OK to post in. For example, the Brickshelf topic or the I'm in Outline view and don't know how to get out will always be relevant.

6. Who you are and how often you do it is a major factor as well. Do it three times in a day and you'll probably annoy someone, especially if you're a new member. Do it once a month and you'll probably get away with it, even if it's for a lame reason.

In short, it's all common sense and it's hard to make clear rules about it. Feel free to consider these them if you want! :tongue:

One thing that I need to emphasise is why reviving old threads can be a bad thing. Here's a few;

1. People come and go and times and opinions change. Quoting someone, asking a question, or just assuming something based on past posts can annoy members and cause offense.

2. There's only room for so many recent topics and each bumped one bumps out another. (This is especially in the BSTF forum.) This makes it hard to find the real new topics and can cause silly topic bumping wars and make a mess of everything. This is really annoying for people who don't have much time and find that the "new" topic they opened is really something they read last year that was bumped so someone could say "that's Kool!".

3. Some topics are just silly to post in. For example, Happy Birthday HappyOwl! isn't too relevant now...

If you have any further questions please ask away! :sweet:

If you read the Guidelines, you'd be able to answer this question yourself. Since you did not, I advise you to read this.

If those are the rules, then I apologise for the initial post and for not thoroughly being aware of the guidelines. But I think a more welcoming way of pointing that out to me would have been in order.

However I maintain that the forum was unlocked, therefore a simple way of ensuring people don't adhere to the guidelines would be to lock threads of a certain vintage. The search facility was clearly very effective and therefore people will naturally just reply to a thread if they stumble upon it without necessarily checking the dates.

If you're trying to be funny as the smiley implies, you're not being successful. Please stop.

I don't see the harm in replying to old threads.

I don't see the harm in replying to old threads.

I refer you to Sinner (Siegfried)'s earlier post in this thread.

Salutations

I have noticed lately quite a few threads have been "bumped" in the Culture and Multimedia forum. In the Eurobrick FAQ, bumping threads is noted to mess up the flow of forums, and is often looked down upon. I believe that while bumping threads is a disturbance to the layout of a page and can sometimes result (and is sometimes caused) by spam, there are still going to be plenty of threads that one will want to comment on that was made far long before he/she joined. When creating a new topic that was already created, we get merged and told that there was already a thread for that, and when commenting in such old threads, we take the risk upon ourselves that we may just get hit by the "ban" hammer. So I come here to ask, when is it okay to bump threads and when and how do we (as Eurobrickers and people) know when that time has come? I ask this because, I don't want to get banned over a mistake (or put on a break) and also don't want to limit myself to discussing the first few threads in a forum. I also ask that this thread not get locked, I'm sure that such a question will come up in the future and this could be a great place for future generations of Eurobrickers to find out how/when one is "allowed" to bump topics. I hope this wasn't a bother, and also wish to hear from Eurobrickers, how do you feel about "bumping". Hope I wasn't a bother and may you all have a good day.

~ Freddy Bricker

I know just how you feel. Sometimes I feel myself that I'm walking a very thin, grey line, I'm no spammer but I like to discuss and add to a topic, even if its three years old, I just don't want to be court on the wrong side of the law. I think in some cases its alright, where there are genuine, valid reasons to bump a thread, but for a good reason, not a "Nice MOC" or "Lol" as I think kids say nowadays (I hate that). I'd like to see what one of the MODs or staff's opinion is on this.

The answer to your questions can be found in the Eurobricks FAQ, so allow me to quote myself. Make sure to follow the link for a more detailed discussion on topic bumping. :classic:

gallery_8966_241_958.png Is it allowed to revisit (bump) old topics?

The short answer is… it depends! If you have a meaningful comment or precision to add to a long buried topic, do it. If in doubt, follow the link below to a more nuanced explanation of the dos and don’ts of topic bumping.

Thank you Fugazi, I followed the link and it would appear that "this is a Lego site, and bumping Community threads is (once again, and no this isn't a direct quote to Sinner) frowned upon). You see, there's a general Pokemon discussion in Page 3 of the Culture and Multimedia forum, I have a lot to say, and wonder if it would be considered "stupid", but I highly doubt it will, when I do post it. You see, I tend to go deep into the pages of a forum, I've even read introduction topics from 2010, 3 years before I joined (but of course I wouldn't post there, haha that would practically be begging to get banned) so um, do I get the green light for the Pokemon thread? I mean I really have a lot to say, and it's only a couple of months old.

Do keep in mind that if you have a lot to say about Pokemon or any other non-LEGO topic, it's probably best for all concerned that you share it on a relevant forum rather than here. You will likely get more feedback and interaction elsewhere. After all, there must be a reason why the Pokemon topic is buried three pages deep! :wink: That said, you shouldn't get in trouble for reviving that Pokemon thread. :devil:

Hehe I just thought I'd say that it's funny because Fuzagi, from what I've found is a great help, but when Iv'e communicated with him in the past I embarrassingly felt intimidated and rather nervous of him. The reason?

That Sigfig

photo-8966.png?_r=1385512146

It just looks so furious lol.

Edit:Post 200 Yay!

Edited by The Architect

felt intimidated and rather nervous of him. The reason?

That Sigfig

photo-8966.png?_r=1385512146

It just looks so furious lol.

Good, I'll keep it then! :devil::tongue:

Fuzagi

Oh, I like it. Sounds 100% more fuzzy and therefore 100% more Gofraid-y :tongue: