Sign in to follow this  
Keymonus

[OL-FotL-Cat1B] The way of the sword

Clan Amagai samurai and ashigaru on Jinzi Island (El Oleonda)

51936796965_f716908aa2_b.jpg
From left to right:

1) Ashigaru musketeer: in traditional Monomonto armies, the ashigaru (literally “light feet”) are basically all the soldiers not belonging to the samurai class, ranging from peasants with clubs and spears to heavily armoured warriors. The introduction of gunpowder turned ashigaru into a formidable fighting force: anybody can learn how to shoot in a few days, and bullets have little respect for courage or nobility. Although not as disciplined as Madrician line infantry, or as the “new-doctrine” soldiers deployed by other clans, the Amagai clan musketeers can be deadly, especially when fighting in tight formations.

2) Naginata samurai: somehow similar the the knights dominating the Madrician kingdoms after the Empire, the samurai are skilled warriors following a code of rules, the way of the sword. They live with honour and die with honour, following their lord to victory or death: surrendering or retreating is not an option, and they consider killing their enemies more merciful than taking them as captives. Even if samurai are mainly known for their swords, their main weapon is usually a spear (yari) or a sort of halberd (naginata).

3) Samurai wearing the Amagai sashimono: Monomonto warriors are extremely heterogeneous in clothing and equipment, even if when they belong to the same clan. Weapons are often taken from defeated enemies, and an armour can change owner several times. To recognise foes and friends, warriors and commanders have therefore to rely on the sashimono, a little flag worn on warriors’ back. 

4) Amagai Ieyasu: daimyo (feudal lord) of the Amagai clan. Warrior from tip to toe, hard and inflexible as the steel of his sword, he is seen by many as a living incarnation of the way. He led his men into countless battles, often against stronger warlords, and he always won, becoming a sort of legend. Times are changing fast, however, and famous warriors have already fallen on the island, killed without honour by Carnite grunts. The old warrior is now in front of a difficult choice: embracing some of the foreign innovations, or leading once again the charge of his samurai towards the guns of the enemies, possibly to a glorious death.

5) Amagai Nanako: while almost all the samurai are men, nothing forbids women to follow the way of the sword. Second daughter of Amagai Ieyasu, Nanako is a skilled warrior and a respected leader. 

6) Samurai swordsman: a samurai showing his famous swords, katana (the “true” sword) and wakizashi (the long knife); as sharp as razor blades, thes weapons can literally cut an enemy in half. Samurai spend their all life training with swords, and only a very few Madricians could defeat one of them in a duel.

7-8) Tamaco tribe ashigaru: with war raging on Jinzi Island, several of the tribes of New Haven Seas got involved in the conflict, either siding with one of the nations or attacking anyone entering their lands. Several warriors of the Tamaco tribe joined the Monomonto armies as auxiliaries: for them, this is just a different way to continue their ancestral war against the Tyree’De and other rival tribes. The Tamaco warriors can be easily recognised from their red war paint and their helms carved from shark skulls… some of them, however, gladly replaced their traditional equipments with the far more effective Monomonto steel!

Excellent selection of custom figs!

I love how you added some natives as well. Number 7 really springs out for me

Great presentation of the various units and leaders of the Monomonto Shogunate. The descriptions are detailed and very informative.

Great set of figures accompanied with clear descriptions. I always love reading those. I like how you added native mercenaries to your unit. It gives the entry a unique touch!

Great troops and descriptions, a really strong entry! I especially like the Ashigaru musketeer.

Thank you all guys! Currently I don’t have much time to build, so I appreciated a lot this figbarf minichallenge, and I’m glad you like the result! :pir-sweet:

I’m particularly proud of my native auxiliaries and of the ashigaru musketeer!

On 3/16/2022 at 7:25 PM, Red Rackham said:

Really cool figures, especially number 8. 

Which head is on figure number 8?

Thanks! It comes from CMF series 10, the Tomahawk Warrior

On 3/19/2022 at 12:16 PM, Keymonus said:

Thanks! It comes from CMF series 10, the Tomahawk Warrior

Thanks, really fitting 👍🏻