Rustinidiel

[MOC] N1-Starfighter (Royal and Modified)

hi all,
finally i've finished my two versions of the N1-Starfighter, the Royal one and the Mando's modified.

51961955723_c98da62603_k.jpg

51920363401_453804830d_k.jpg

My initial inspiration/approach was from the awesome work of Inthert (https://www.flickr.com/photos/143232344@N06/), and I've mantained a couple of details of the original model. I've recreated all the internal structure and the external shape to obtain my personal model, keeping in mind to build a sturdy set that can be displayed (the instructions contain a simple and effective stand solution) but also can be played.
The final model can fit inside a minifigure (with the helmet) and the modified version can fit the Grogu minifigure too (Studio doesn't have the Grogu head, so i've recreated in a tricky style :laugh:).

A big thanks to Universe Sandbox (http://universesandbox.com/), the "sky background" of my image is created with that awesome software!

more pics (i'll add some others) on my Flickr:
and instructions avaiable on Rebrickable:

i hope you like them (i really like any suggestions and criticisms)

Edited by Rustinidiel

Both great looking ships, having done a Mando N1 I think I'll be adding this Royal N1 to the collection next.  

On 3/14/2022 at 2:53 PM, elfprince13 said:

Looks great! I really appreciate that you can see how the one would convert to the other!

Thanks a lot, i'm working on another things to integrate in this project

15 hours ago, MAVERICK26 said:

Excellent work - this is going on my build list.

thanks for your appreciation!

5 hours ago, Hold0511 said:

Both great looking ships, having done a Mando N1 I think I'll be adding this Royal N1 to the collection next.  

i'm really glad you like them!

and for all, if you want build them subtaining my work, on rebrickable there are the instructions to purchase (links on first post)

Edited by Rustinidiel

2 hours ago, Rustinidiel said:

Thanks a lot, i'm working on another things to integrate in this project

thanks for your appreciation!

i'm really glad you like them!

and for all, if you want build them subtaining my work, on rebrickable there are the instructions to purchase (links on first post)

Just bought - BL wanted list in progress, just need to work on the store carts now to reduce the number of orders and P&P

2 hours ago, Hold0511 said:

Just bought - BL wanted list in progress, just need to work on the store carts now to reduce the number of orders and P&P

i really appreciate you decided tu purchase my instructions!
if you will find some errors (i think to have checked all right), don't hesitate to contact me.

please, when built, post some pics if you can...

Thanks a lot for your support! 

Do you build the outside or the inside of the ships first?

When I make 8-wide cars, I usually make the "shell" of the car first, then I fill the inside of the model with as many details and strength as I can. I don't know if the same can be done for spaceships? Maybe it helps to build the shell in sections then attach it to an internal frame or something?

10 minutes ago, Henchmen4Hire said:

When I make 8-wide cars, I usually make the "shell" of the car first, then I fill the inside of the model with as many details and strength as I can. I don't know if the same can be done for spaceships? Maybe it helps to build the shell in sections then attach it to an internal frame or something?

hi, thanks for your question (i'm not a "super designer" but if you asked that, maybe yu appreciate my work... and this means a lot for me)

anyway, depending on a lot of things (for my designing process, not all got the same approach):

if in the early designing phase i know to want a particular detail, i place it in the position, and than i create che others things (interior and exterior) around it...
if i know a part of the model is hard to be build, i start with the internal structure (for be sure to obtain solid anchorage points)...
if i need a particular shape, i make a lot of building tests to reach the final shape structure, than i use those techniques to design the ship...
so, finished the protoype model, i deassemble all for optimize the build, checking the errors (sometimes some things done in a 3d software can't be done in real life), and i repeat this phase many time... changing little things, or redesigning the entire model...

by the way, i use different approach for any model (because any creation is a new challenge for me), creating a spaceship, or a house, a diorama or a car...

the real suggest i can give to you is the knowledge of existing parts and existing colors... like the kid who knows his lego bricks inside the "toy container"... is a good start point for your creativity to say "hey, that thing can be done with that part? maybe yes, let's try"...

and the most important thing: HAVE FUN

hope that was helpful

On 3/16/2022 at 11:41 PM, Wolfpackfan99 said:

Congratulations on making it to the front page! :classic:

thanks a lot, that is a beautiful surprise

5 hours ago, Henchmen4Hire said:

This seems like an interesting topic and one that I've wondered myself a few times... I generally tend to start with "defining features" when working on a model, but the cockpit is normally next in line. Because minifigures are such awkward shapes, I find it's worth reserving the space for the level of detailing I want (normally a nice seat and control panels or levers, at least) and then working out how to incorporate that into a structurally sound build. For builds where the figure is more exposed, like a speeder or walker, I normally start with the pilot.

That said I do most of my building digitally, so I'd be fascinated to see what others do.

Done and dusted - great little build, fun to do and it looks great in real bricks - well worth adding to your collection - great job Rustinidiel (really will have to get a lightbox or something - using my phone does funny things with the perspective).

IMG_2920.jpgIMG_2915.jpg

Edited by Hold0511

3 hours ago, Hold0511 said:

Done and dusted - great little build, fun to do and it looks great in real bricks - well worth adding to your collection - great job Rustinidiel (really will have to get a lightbox or something - using my phone does funny things with the perspective).

Oh wow, it looks even better in physical bricks!

On 3/29/2022 at 5:39 PM, ForgedInLego said:

Oh wow, it looks even better in physical bricks!

Yup my shoddy photo skills should not be held against the great MOC - it looks really good in bricks - sadly I lost my Ani figure to my little boy so I'll have to find a replacement pilot.....

IMG_2930.jpg

Edited by Hold0511

31 minutes ago, Dragunov2 said:

I have still the original one, once released, bought in Billund

A 10026? awesome - a shame its never been fully re-done in the more recent UCS style.   

Ok, I finished the modified version of this. If you are thinking of attempting it yourself, I'd say be prepared to modify the engines - some pieces are simply not going to fit together. Other than that, it is a lovely build and a lot more stable than Inthert's original royal version. 

11 hours ago, misterbuk said:

Ok, I finished the modified version of this. If you are thinking of attempting it yourself, I'd say be prepared to modify the engines - some pieces are simply not going to fit together. Other than that, it is a lovely build and a lot more stable than Inthert's original royal version. 

sadly the Studio software has some weird collision...

sorry for the mistakes, but if you had written to me (here, or on flickr, or on rebrickable)... i would have worked to resolve the problem, updating the instructions (the same i've done with the Royal version, thanks to @Hold0511 for his feedbacks)...

anyway, tell me what parts dont fit together, what steps are incottect... and i'll make my best to fix them all

Edited by Rustinidiel

Hi Rustindiel. It really was not meant as a complaint, I always expect to be doing some tweaking at some point when building other people's MOCs. The main culprit was the black bar 4L which simply would not slide into the grey technic pin 3L after it had been placed in the pulley wheel. I worked my way around this using a combination of light sabre hilts and technic rods and by rearranging the distance between the pulley wheels. 

Happy to send you some photos of my efforts.

As I said, my view is that there will always be some workarounds when building MOCs - part of the fun. I'm just aware that some people like a heads-up before attempting it themselves - no criticism meant, it is a superb build

9 minutes ago, misterbuk said:

Hi Rustindiel. It really was not meant as a complaint, I always expect to be doing some tweaking at some point when building other people's MOCs. The main culprit was the black bar 4L which simply would not slide into the grey technic pin 3L after it had been placed in the pulley wheel. I worked my way around this using a combination of light sabre hilts and technic rods and by rearranging the distance between the pulley wheels. 

Happy to send you some photos of my efforts.

As I said, my view is that there will always be some workarounds when building MOCs - part of the fun. I'm just aware that some people like a heads-up before attempting it themselves - no criticism meant, it is a superb build

i rally appreciate all the feedbacks, because i prefer to give perfect instructions (and with 3d software something can be done in wrong)

so, in absolute peace, if you can show me the problem (an your fix if you want) i really thank you because with your help i can fix my instructions for all who own them

Edited by Rustinidiel

really sad the official set does not give you many pieces used in all these great MOC's. Instead there is yet again an oversized and overpriced ship with wrong proportions..

Ok, I am hoping that this, my tenth post might free up some additional upload capacity for me to post some photos here, otherwise I will have to contact you through other channels

19 minutes ago, misterbuk said:

Ok, I am hoping that this, my tenth post might free up some additional upload capacity for me to post some photos here, otherwise I will have to contact you through other channels

Nope your sorted.

Edited by Hold0511

I'm not a great user of Flickr so this could go a bit askew

IMG_0925

You may notice that I used shorter black hose for the tail - longer pearl grey pieces are like gold dust in the UK. 

IMG_0924

5 minutes ago, misterbuk said:

I'm not a great user of Flickr so this could go a bit askew

You may notice that I used shorter black hose for the tail - longer pearl grey pieces are like gold dust in the UK. 

I had the same problem so went for longer hoses in flat silver - I think I got a 18L and 19L and then cut them to the right size.