JorstadDesigns

Teroch-class Mandalorian Cruiser (ship concept by FractalSponge)

Introducing our new flagship product, in development for more than two years: the Gankona!

Instructions are available for download from our website at www.jorstad-designs.com.

Part count: 17,007 LEGO® bricks (17,001 without lighting)
Dimensions: 50 in. L × 17 in. W × 20 in. H

The Gankona (Japanese for "headstrong" or "stubborn") is our recreation of the Teroch-class Mandalorian cruiser as designed by Ansel Hsiao (also known as Fractalsponge). Ansel is an artist specializing in hard surface modeling and vehicle/spaceship concept design. His work is truly amazing, and many of you may already be familiar with his work as our Proclamator-class Star Destroyer is based on another of his original creations. Please visit the hyperlinks included below to view and support his work.

The Teroch is evocative of everything Mandalorian. Meaning “pitiless” in Mando’a, the Teroch is designed for full frontal assaults, reflecting the Mandalorian single-minded focus on offense with little thought for retreat or defense. Featuring a narrow attack profile with the vast majority of weaponry facing forward, only one turret is oriented purely for rear defense. In a frontal assault the Teroch brings five heavy turbolasers and four quad turbolaser batteries to bear, allowing it to quickly wear down enemy shields. Two concussion missile launchers are located on either side of the ship’s neck for close-quarters combat.

The Teroch’s size allows it to maintain a full squadron of Fang fighters. Often manufactured in conjunction with their motherships, these renowned fightercraft are deadly in the hands of experienced Mandalorian pilots. When engaged in frontal assault, the hangar bay housed within the neck of the ship grants launching fighters a measure of protection against enemy fire. Of course, with all crew and passengers in full beskar with jetpacks, who needs fighters?

Aware of the ship's vulnerability against coordinated fighter attacks without a full Fang complement, engineers designed a unique anti-fighter defense system. A rapid-fire launcher mounted in the ship’s nose is capable of launching specially-modified seismic charges, mining an area of space. Charges are detonated remotely, discouraging tight knots of fighters and instead forcing enemies to spread out, making it easier for Fang fighters to engage enemies and complicating approaches by enemy bombers behind fighter screens.

The Teroch’s massive engines grant it the maneuverability to efficiently keep targets within forward firing arcs, while two Class-I hyperdrives allow for quick redeployment against new threats.

Our model features several custom Mandalorian minifigures from Clone Army Customs - check them out!

Model Description:
- Fully articulating turbolasers with locking bases.
- Optional LEGO® Power Functions lights compatibility with remote control operation to light up engines and nose.
- Removable sections reveal bi-level minifigure-scaled playable interior, including bridge, crew quarters, armory, brig, troop deployment and storage bays, and a speeder bay containing three stowaway speeder bikes.
- Conveniently located carry points for moving the model.

Fractalsponge Website: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://fractalsponge.net/&ved=2ahUKEwjnsrK1r6z0AhW-gnIEHXGfBxQQFnoECAkQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3kj7VF4UwNrxRBUEjd3aNL

Fractalsponge Artstation: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.artstation.com/fractalsponge&ved=2ahUKEwjnsrK1r6z0AhW-gnIEHXGfBxQQFnoECAQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0QHdhMu835glME9ihXWwNv

51936383205_95295eaec4_k.jpg12 by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

51934790112_0f9e7e3584_k.jpg8 by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

51935773296_e0c0e70e0d_k.jpg10 by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

51936088869_d91b8d3be4_k.jpg11 by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

51936384400_73dfb19f1f_k.jpg6 by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

51936090069_37a46fd280_k.jpg5 by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

51935773516_4f823a8ef6_k.jpg9 by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

51934789252_5812ab9f58_k.jpg13 by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

51936384205_6a12c3a144_k.jpg7 by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

51936087414_b24f99f87b_k.jpg18 by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

51935772001_9bf124838b_k.jpg17 by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

51934788772_a444c577c0_k.jpg15 by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

51934788502_4b622a5363_k.jpg16 by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

51936088399_f6c4e18b21_k.jpg14 by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

51934791247_0cd8fa241a_k.jpg1 by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

51935848623_693566187b_k.jpg2 by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

51934787902_ec7178a82f_k.jpg19 by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

51936381460_17b0c29feb_k.jpg21 by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

51935848428_7d793f610c_k.jpg4 by Kyle Jorstad, on Flickr

Wow!

There's so much to absorb, so many great details, its a wonderful build.

Although I am not familiar with the in-universe ship, this being the first time hearing of it, it looks amazing and a great job getting an interior into such a differently shaped ship.

Edited by Stuartn

incredible looking ship and build.  Is it actually a star wars ship though or an 'imagining'? from the flavour text I am not sure and I am not familiar with much EU material

2 hours ago, LDigital said:

incredible looking ship and build.  Is it actually a star wars ship though or an 'imagining'? from the flavour text I am not sure and I am not familiar with much EU material

Thanks! It's a non-canon design by Fractalsponge. Check the description - it has the details on origin and a few hyperlinks.

Edited by JorstadDesigns

It's certainly one hell of a model. I think you're going to have a difficult time marketing instructions for a model that large of a ship that's just somebody's fan design, though, even if it is Ansel Hsiao's. It's a hard sell for that level of investment if it isn't a ship that people are already familiar with. Approximately how much did it cost to build? I would guess you'd be doing well to get under $2000 or so.

1 hour ago, JorstadDesigns said:

Thanks! It's a non-canon design by Fractalsponge. Check the description - it has the details on origin and a few hyperlinks.

Its a great design....but I do not recognize it at all....gonna be a hard sell short of mando fans hehe.

I'm sure there are a few hardcore Mando cosplayers that might feel compelled to shell out for it! Beautiful model either way =)

18 hours ago, Kage Goomba said:

Its a great design....but I do not recognize it at all....gonna be a hard sell short of mando fans hehe.

I'll third this. Incredible design, remarkable structure and details and the power functions thing is awesome, but I don't think really anyone would want to buy this except for the guy who designed the ship itself if it's just a fan design. Even mando fans are more likely to just buy a UCS Razor crest, UCS mandalorian fighter, etc. Especially for $50... seems worth it in terms of size and overall quality, but I don't think there's any demand for this.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

20 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

It's certainly one hell of a model. I think you're going to have a difficult time marketing instructions for a model that large of a ship that's just somebody's fan design, though, even if it is Ansel Hsiao's. It's a hard sell for that level of investment if it isn't a ship that people are already familiar with. Approximately how much did it cost to build? I would guess you'd be doing well to get under $2000 or so.

19 hours ago, Kage Goomba said:

8 hours ago, elfprince13 said:

I'm sure there are a few hardcore Mando cosplayers that might feel compelled to shell out for it! Beautiful model either way =)

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I'll third this. Incredible design, remarkable structure and details and the power functions thing is awesome, but I don't think really anyone would want to buy this except for the guy who designed the ship itself if it's just a fan design. Even mando fans are more likely to just buy a UCS Razor crest, UCS mandalorian fighter, etc. Especially for $50... seems worth it in terms of size and overall quality, but I don't think there's any demand for this.

Thanks for the praise! You're all 100% correct, there is not a market for this ship compared to canon Star Wars ships. Sometimes it's worth it just for the challenge and the reward of building a difficult subject. Designing models as a side business isn't worth much if you're not enjoying what you build! And it comes in under $2,000 USD, so pretty good on that front as well.

42 minutes ago, JorstadDesigns said:

Sometimes it's worth it just for the challenge and the reward of building a difficult subject.

Nailed it.

17 hours ago, JorstadDesigns said:

And it comes in under $2,000 USD, so pretty good on that front as well.

HOW?!? I just did a first pass on pricing out my ~8400 part Hapan Battle Dragon yesterday, which looks way smaller (but maybe looks are deceiving?) and it's coming out over $2K.

1 hour ago, elfprince13 said:

HOW?!? I just did a first pass on pricing out my ~8400 part Hapan Battle Dragon yesterday, which looks way smaller (but maybe looks are deceiving?) and it's coming out over $2K.

$0.25/part is way too high unless you have some very atypical selection of pieces. I usually expect something like $0.13-$0.15/part for the models I’ve designed.

1 hour ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

$0.25/part is way too high unless you have some very atypical selection of pieces. I usually expect something like $0.13-$0.15/part for the models I’ve designed.

I had a good number of parts in the multi-dollar range skewing the stats.

For the internal structure that you won't see, I spend a lot of time choosing part/color combinations that are the cheapest and most readily available for purchase, which really helps cut down on cost. That, and I intentionally tailored the external color scheme to match with parts currently in production by LEGO with their Mandalorian/Separatist kits. Makes parts easier to get, especially for people who plan to cut down on purchasing by pulling parts from kits they already own. Definitely recommend vetting our your interior parts though, that works magic!

24 minutes ago, JorstadDesigns said:

For the internal structure that you won't see, I spend a lot of time choosing part/color combinations that are the cheapest and most readily available for purchase, which really helps cut down on cost. That, and I intentionally tailored the external color scheme to match with parts currently in production by LEGO with their Mandalorian/Separatist kits. Makes parts easier to get, especially for people who plan to cut down on purchasing by pulling parts from kits they already own. Definitely recommend vetting our your interior parts though, that works magic!

Thanks for the tip - Studio really needs a "pick the cheapest color for invisible parts" feature!

1 hour ago, elfprince13 said:

Thanks for the tip - Studio really needs a "pick the cheapest color for invisible parts" feature!

That would be super handy! Right now I just check every part on Bricklink's price guide, which a while.

3 hours ago, elfprince13 said:

2 hours ago, JorstadDesigns said:

That would be super handy! Right now I just check every part on Bricklink's price guide, which a while.

BrickLink has this, although it's a little awkward to use. If you're using their Wanted List system to manage your part orders, you can enter the color as 'not applicable' and it'll get you whatever the cheapest option is. Stud.io doesn't support that, unfortunately, but you can work around it by making the invisible parts a color that doesn't exist or that doesn't otherwise appear in the model and just including a note that all parts in translucent metallic pink (or whatever) can be any color, so it's easy for somebody to change if they upload the file to BrickLink. Or you can distribute the parts list as a separate .xml file or something, which is also easy enough to do.

15 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

BrickLink has this, although it's a little awkward to use. If you're using their Wanted List system to manage your part orders, you can enter the color as 'not applicable' and it'll get you whatever the cheapest option is. Stud.io doesn't support that, unfortunately, but you can work around it by making the invisible parts a color that doesn't exist or that doesn't otherwise appear in the model and just including a note that all parts in translucent metallic pink (or whatever) can be any color, so it's easy for somebody to change if they upload the file to BrickLink. Or you can distribute the parts list as a separate .xml file or something, which is also easy enough to do.

True, and I definitely love this feature! But for purposes of use in an instruction manual where the end user is likely someone with little to no experience purchasing/building MOCs, that isn't ideal. I tried this with one of my previous models using two parts lists (one for the exterior with required colors, and one for the interior where any color could be used). I found that customers had significant trouble understanding the difference between the two parts lists. It also complicates ordering, because unless you order the two parts lists separately, you're going to receive the parts for both lists together in a mix. Then it's a nightmare to separate out the two sets of parts - and if you don't keep them separate, you'll easily wind up using parts required for the exterior on the interior, and wind up with parts in the wrong color left over for the exterior. In my experience, it's much simpler to try and determine what the best part/color combination is and bake that into the model, rather than leave the end user to figure things out.

10 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

9 hours ago, JorstadDesigns said:

True, and I definitely love this feature! But for purposes of use in an instruction manual where the end user is likely someone with little to no experience purchasing/building MOCs, that isn't ideal. I tried this with one of my previous models using two parts lists (one for the exterior with required colors, and one for the interior where any color could be used). I found that customers had significant trouble understanding the difference between the two parts lists. It also complicates ordering, because unless you order the two parts lists separately, you're going to receive the parts for both lists together in a mix. Then it's a nightmare to separate out the two sets of parts - and if you don't keep them separate, you'll easily wind up using parts required for the exterior on the interior, and wind up with parts in the wrong color left over for the exterior. In my experience, it's much simpler to try and determine what the best part/color combination is and bake that into the model, rather than leave the end user to figure things out.

This is great discussion and super helpful, thanks! =)

This is great discussion and super helpful, thanks! =)

Sure thing! Kdapt-Preacher is 100% on-point though if you're solely intending the MOC to be for personal use - it's an easy way to cut cost so long as you understand which parts have to be saved for the exterior. Especially useful on larger models with a lot of parts hidden on the interior. The only reason I take a different approach is because I try to monetize my models with instructions, and the end user is often new to using Bricklink.

Also, A+ on the Earthsea MOC! Great series, nice to see it in brick.