MTBingNinja

New LEGO Speed Champions 2023 Rumors, Speculation

Easy fix for the lose Pagani rear assembly: add 1x1 cheese slopes (with their highest side facing towards rear) on the tan 1x4 plate inside the rear assembly!

1 minute ago, Polarlicht said:

Easy fix for the lose Pagani rear assembly: add 1x1 cheese slopes (with their highest side facing towards rear) on the tan 1x4 plate inside the rear assembly!

Before and after pictures please 🙏 

On 3/5/2023 at 3:47 AM, MTBingNinja said:

There's a video here (not mine):

Edited by BrickMonkeyMOCs

On 3/4/2023 at 9:46 AM, Polarlicht said:

….very trick.  Nice work 

The only new SC I've been able to pick up so far is the Ferrari 812. I liked it more than I expected to, but couldn't resist customizing it a little. Stickers are gone, with a brick-built alternative for the yellow stripe. Other than adding custom side-skirts, I also moved the whole windscreen/greenhouse section forwards by half a stud, which I found improved the overall proportions quite a bit, especially from a side view. Oh, and there's an engine block added, visible when the windscreen section is removed.

xKLro59.jpeg

2 hours ago, MTBingNinja said:

….very trick.  Nice work 

I am not at home at the moment, but there is no need for pictures anyway, its so easy to fix and i hope i wrote what to do clear enough.

The rear assembly (with the taillights, 4 car doors, exhaust etc) is just clipped inside under the rear window iirc.

Take this rear assembly out and add 1x1 cheese slopes with their highest side facing towards the rear end on the outer studs on that tan 1x4 plate inside this rear assembly.

Edited by Polarlicht

17 hours ago, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

The only new SC I've been able to pick up so far is the Ferrari 812. I liked it more than I expected to, but couldn't resist customizing it a little. Stickers are gone, with a brick-built alternative for the yellow stripe. Other than adding custom side-skirts, I also moved the whole windscreen/greenhouse section forwards by half a stud, which I found improved the overall proportions quite a bit, especially from a side view. Oh, and there's an engine block added, visible when the windscreen section is removed.

xKLro59.jpeg

This is awesome! I don't like the original set and was not planning to buy it. But when I look at your mod I might actually change my mind :) This looks soo much better. 

Could you share some photos of the back? Also, if you could share some details on how you managed to move the cabin 1/2 forward, it would be nice :)

On 3/9/2023 at 4:44 AM, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

xKLro59.jpeg

This is absolutly fantastic! This is how it should have been - it looks so good withoout the stickers. I was also sure I would skip this, but now like @hellhax I might just get it, and do this modification! If only the front sticker was transparent... 

On 3/10/2023 at 10:24 AM, hellhax said:

This is awesome! I don't like the original set and was not planning to buy it. But when I look at your mod I might actually change my mind :) This looks soo much better. 

Could you share some photos of the back? Also, if you could share some details on how you managed to move the cabin 1/2 forward, it would be nice :)

Thanks. This was also the least appealing set in the wave for me, but also the only one I've found on shelves so far. It turned out to be better than I expected, even prior to modification. As you can see, the windscreen is attached to a pair of 1x2 jumper plates at the front. At the rear, the central yellow section is not offset, while the two red wedge bricks are mounted on 1x3 jumper plates for a half-stud forwards offset. The two yellow grille slopes are sitting on a modified 1x2 plate w/ rail (#32028). The two black 1x1 cheese slopes on 1x1 up-brackets at the rear lock the spoiler in place. The exhaust parts are also attached via 1x1 snot bricks (#87087) instead of the original headlight bricks with 1x1 round plates, for a better fit.

BI8fQaZ.jpeg

qM02n8v.jpeg

20 hours ago, jpx said:

This is absolutly fantastic! This is how it should have been - it looks so good withoout the stickers. I was also sure I would skip this, but now like @hellhax I might just get it, and do this modification! If only the front sticker was transparent... 

Thanks. I never apply stickers, so it was annoying to have a racing stripe that was half built with stickers and half printed, hence this modification. If you want the Ferrari nose badge applied then it should still be easy to cut it out of the larger nose sticker and apply it to the front.

Is the McLaren double pack currently available in the US/Europe/Australia?

It's still not in stores here in NZ, and is listed as "temporarily out of stock" on S@H.

20 hours ago, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

It's still not in stores here in NZ, and is listed as "temporarily out of stock" on S@H.

Haven't checked overseas websites, but it's been in stores for about 2 weeks now. I know Toyco sold out quickly during their new release sale, but there should still be plenty in stock at other retailers. Suggest checking Toyworld, Warehouse, Kmart or Farmers websites to see if they have them at your local stores.

41 minutes ago, 1340cc said:

Haven't checked overseas websites, but it's been in stores for about 2 weeks now. I know Toyco sold out quickly during their new release sale, but there should still be plenty in stock at other retailers. Suggest checking Toyworld, Warehouse, Kmart or Farmers websites to see if they have them at your local stores.

Okay, thanks. The local Warehouse has had only the Ferrari set from the new wave. Maybe I just need to be patient and wait for Toyco to restock.

On 3/10/2023 at 4:14 PM, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

Thanks. This was also the least appealing set in the wave for me, but also the only one I've found on shelves so far. It turned out to be better than I expected, even prior to modification. As you can see, the windscreen is attached to a pair of 1x2 jumper plates at the front. At the rear, the central yellow section is not offset, while the two red wedge bricks are mounted on 1x3 jumper plates for a half-stud forwards offset. The two yellow grille slopes are sitting on a modified 1x2 plate w/ rail (#32028). The two black 1x1 cheese slopes on 1x1 up-brackets at the rear lock the spoiler in place. The exhaust parts are also attached via 1x1 snot bricks (#87087) instead of the original headlight bricks with 1x1 round plates, for a better fit.

BI8fQaZ.jpeg

qM02n8v.jpeg

Thanks. I never apply stickers, so it was annoying to have a racing stripe that was half built with stickers and half printed, hence this modification. If you want the Ferrari nose badge applied then it should still be easy to cut it out of the larger nose sticker and apply it to the front.

Thanks for sharing.  That's a great MOC.

I also thought this set would be my least favorite, especially when looking at side images, where the hood looks too flat and long.  I've actually come to like this model the best out of the five in this set of releases, even before seeing your changes.  Now, it may be my favorite all-time.

Built the Pagani and McLaren F1 this evening (Day 1 purchase from Lego but only arrived today!).

I’ve got all the 8-wide series to date, but wow, the F1 is such a fantastic build! Easily my favourite SC model. The brick-built rear in particular is just a joy.

Strangely, my Pagani build didn’t have a wobbly tail. Not sure what I did right/wrong but it just didn’t have the freedom of movement seen on reviews. I added the additional cheese pieces anyway just for extra rigidity, but I definitely didn’t need to. Bit odd really.

12 hours ago, Big Adam said:

Strangely, my Pagani build didn’t have a wobbly tail. Not sure what I did right/wrong but it just didn’t have the freedom of movement seen on reviews. I added the additional cheese pieces anyway just for extra rigidity, but I definitely didn’t need to. Bit odd really.

Same, I didn't get the tail wobble either. I think some people might not be pushing the 2 black clips in far enough (step 15, page 17) which would allow more room for the tail to move up/down.

12 hours ago, 1340cc said:

Same, I didn't get the tail wobble either. I think some people might not be pushing the 2 black clips in far enough (step 15, page 17) which would allow more room for the tail to move up/down.

Well, I've just built mine and I was definitely getting the tail wobble even with the clips fully pushed in, so I'm curious as to what is causing the difference. The cheese slope fix worked though, and other than swapping out the 1x2 cheese on the dashboard for a printed part, and filling in some gaps on the underside, its a near perfect build. The front end in particular was very satisfying to put together. Great model.

I've built the full 2023 wave now, so will share my thoughts on each set...

76914 Ferrari 812 Competizione  (Score 8/10)

+  Much nicer in person than it looks in product images, with a striking colour scheme.

-  Partially printed and partially stickered stripe (much better brick-built). Cockpit is positioned a little too far rearwards.

76915 Pagani Utopia  (Score 9/10)

+  Excellent design work. Very accurate given the complex curves.

-  Wiggly rear end (though easily fixed). Rather bland colour scheme, at least when compared to the rest of the line-up.

76916 Porsche 963  (Score 8/10)

+  Best proportioned SC LMP car to date, with nice rear details.

-  Heavily reliant on stickers (the rear wing could at least have been printed). Plainest building techniques of the line-up.

76918 McLaren Solus GT & McLaren F1 LM  (Score 9.5/10)

+  The Solus GT has a great build process, and the F1 LM looks fantastic (even without stickers).

-  Wiggly side panels on the rather oversized Solus GT, and the wing mirrors on the F1 LM aren't great.

Overall I think the SC range has taken a solid step forwards from the already impressive 2022 line-up, with great car selection, impressive building techniques, and the introduction of some new and very useful parts (especially the round-ended 1x3 plate, and the new half-round 1x1x2/3 snot brick). Where there is still room for improvement is in including more engine detail where space allows, and making the sets less reliant on stickers. As a final note, here's a slightly reworked Porsche 963 with some extra details and adjusted shaping to make up for the unused sticker sheet:

OOWX7PI.jpeg

On 3/8/2023 at 7:44 PM, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

... I also moved the whole windscreen/greenhouse section forwards by half a stud, which I found improved the overall proportions quite a bit, especially from a side view. 

xKLro59.jpeg

Thanks for this BrickMonkey... I had initially planned on lowering the windscreen/rear roof a plate but after building your mod I think achieves a similar tweak to the proportions and is /much/ simpler. Still a little tall, but good enough...

Completely removed the yellow stripe on mine and swapped to the F8 windscreen, used pointy-slopes to finish the black hood insert, tweaked the chassis with cambered wheel mountings, and added deeper side-skirt shaping and a few aero bits inspired by the Novitec N-Largo. Fully agree this is a solid SC model with an enjoyable build and looks excellent all dialed in.

812_4411_1080.jpeg812_4423_1080.jpeg812_4399_1080.jpeg

(sorry about the gigantic images - no image-display controls here on Eurobrick?)

Edited by prototyp

1 hour ago, prototyp said:

Thanks for this BrickMonkey... I had initially planned on lowering the windscreen/rear roof a plate but after building your mod I think achieves a similar tweak to the proportions and is /much/ simpler. Still a little tall, but good enough...

Completely removed the yellow stripe on mine and swapped to the F8 windscreen, used pointy-slopes to finish the black hood insert, tweaked the chassis with cambered wheel mountings, and added deeper side-skirt shaping and a few aero bits inspired by the Novitec N-Largo. Fully agree this is a solid SC model with an enjoyable build and looks excellent all dialed in.

(sorry about the gigantic images - no image-display controls here on Eurobrick?)

Hi Prototyp! You're welcome, and thanks for sharing your modded version of the set. Interesting to see how it looks without the stripe, and I prefer your version of the hood vent area (I just don't have the needed tiles in red). I also like the Ferrari badge in the front grille. Are those custom rims? They look fantastic with the brake discs behind. I'd also be very interested to see what you do with the Porsche 963.

(You can resize images in edit mode by double clicking on the image for options.)

On 3/20/2023 at 1:00 AM, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

I've built the full 2023 wave now, so will share my thoughts on each set...

76914 Ferrari 812 Competizione  (Score 8/10)

+  Much nicer in person than it looks in product images, with a striking colour scheme.

-  Partially printed and partially stickered stripe (much better brick-built). Cockpit is positioned a little too far rearwards.

76915 Pagani Utopia  (Score 9/10)

+  Excellent design work. Very accurate given the complex curves.

-  Wiggly rear end (though easily fixed). Rather bland colour scheme, at least when compared to the rest of the line-up.

76916 Porsche 963  (Score 8/10)

+  Best proportioned SC LMP car to date, with nice rear details.

-  Heavily reliant on stickers (the rear wing could at least have been printed). Plainest building techniques of the line-up.

76918 McLaren Solus GT & McLaren F1 LM  (Score 9.5/10)

+  The Solus GT has a great build process, and the F1 LM looks fantastic (even without stickers).

-  Wiggly side panels on the rather oversized Solus GT, and the wing mirrors on the F1 LM aren't great.

Overall I think the SC range has taken a solid step forwards from the already impressive 2022 line-up, with great car selection, impressive building techniques, and the introduction of some new and very useful parts (especially the round-ended 1x3 plate, and the new half-round 1x1x2/3 snot brick). Where there is still room for improvement is in including more engine detail where space allows, and making the sets less reliant on stickers. As a final note, here's a slightly reworked Porsche 963 with some extra details and adjusted shaping to make up for the unused sticker sheet:

Have you made any changes to the Pagani or McLaren sets? I really liked the updates you made to the 2022 line on Hispabrick. Would you happen to have instructions for the AMG One mod you made last year?

On 3/23/2023 at 12:55 PM, prateek said:

Have you made any changes to the Pagani or McLaren sets?

Yes, I've modified all of them a little bit, though the changes are quite minor compared to the Ferrari. These cars are pretty good already.

Pagani Utopia: Cheese slopes on tail section to remove wobble, printed double cheese on dashboard to replace sticker, filled in gaps on underside of car, removed studs above door area (#27263 tiles in place of #26601 plates), and redesigned engine cover to fit a double cheese slope over the exposed studs at rear (#2432 part placed one plate higher, and stud direction of engine cover reversed).

McLaren F1 LM: Filled in gaps on underside, changed driver's seat colour to LBG, changed lower plate of rear wing from Black to DBG (to make the wing appear less blocky), and replaced trans 1x1 round plates under wing mirrors with orange 1x1 regular plates.

McLaren Solus GT: Removed one 1x1 round plate from the steering column (so the controller isn't right up in the driver's face), and added a 1x1 round tile on either side (on the front-most stud of the black 2x3 wings) to better lock the angled parts of the rear fenders in place.

I really liked the updates you made to the 2022 line on Hispabrick. Would you happen to have instructions for the AMG One mod you made last year?

Thanks. I don't have instructions for that one at the moment, though if you can be patient I can get to it in a week or two after I've completed some other pressing work projects.

Would you happen to have instructions for the AMG One mod you made last year?

Here you go. I've also just reworked the W12 F1 car from the same double pack, so I'll post instructions for both below...

sBnT0pv.jpegQdTnCzY.jpeg

F1 W12 Instructions                                                               Project One Instructions

F1 W12 LDraw file                                                                   Project One LDraw file

Turns out it's easy to fit three figures in the McLaren F1 if you just remove the upholstery!

On 4/6/2023 at 9:41 AM, icm said:

Turns out it's easy to fit three figures in the McLaren F1 if you just remove the upholstery!

Are your figs planning a super-cramped roadtrip? lol