There've been a bunch of times I've had just a little idea I wanted to post on here, without making a new thread for it. I've put them in different generic threads in the past, but I figured it might make sense just to make a personal thread to share stuff of this sort.

Anyways, the first thing I want to share is this ten-sided "Geneva Mechanism" I came up with today.

800x600.jpg

It's using a 10T splat gear with a pretty standard mechanism for rotating it intermittently, as in a stepper. However, rather than having a spring-loaded part pressing against the teeth of the gear as in a stepper, I've got a an axle that locks the teeth of the gear when it isn't being engaged. The same axle that runs the beam that steps the teeth is also hooked up to a wave selector, so that when it approaches the position in which it will have to move the teeth of the gear, the bump on the selector moves a linkage that briefly unlocks the gear, and then automatically locks it again after the motion is done.

800x600.jpg

It's working well in one direction right now, as seen in the video, but it's not working the other way. I think this is because of the sideways force the wave selector exerts on the black beam, but I'm pretty confident it could be fixed with a more thoroughly engineered solution than this proof of concept.

And, I already came up with a design I like better... I should probably hold off on posting stuff like this until I refine it. Because of that principle, I'll wait on showing my new design until I decide if it's final or not.

1 hour ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

It's working well in one direction right now, as seen in the video, but it's not working the other way. I think this is because of the sideways force the wave selector exerts on the black beam, but I'm pretty confident it could be fixed with a more thoroughly engineered solution than this proof of concept

With the rubber band on one side, your black beam experiences more force on the side. If you can get the force equally exerted on the other side, you should then be able to move in the other direction. Because of the looseness of the pieces, even the smallest forces can cause beams to be slightly angled.

10 hours ago, deehtha said:

With the rubber band on one side, your black beam experiences more force on the side. If you can get the force equally exerted on the other side, you should then be able to move in the other direction. Because of the looseness of the pieces, even the smallest forces can cause beams to be slightly angled.

That probably is a factor, but I think the main thing is how the selector pushes the beam sideways. This sideways motion ends up pulling the axle back a bit before the beam has even popped up on the selector's bump, and I think it's this preselection that makes the one side work better than the other. Like I commented, though, I've got a totally different design that works quite a bit better, so I probably won't develop this design any further at present.

Cool use of the orange wave selector.

19 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

And, I already came up with a design I like better... I should probably hold off on posting stuff like this until I refine it. Because of that principle, I'll wait on showing my new design until I decide if it's final or not.

😂 I hear you on that!  As soon as I post something I invariably realize the flaws with it.