Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

According to Promobricks, one of the LEGO 90th anniversary set's will be a Castle set, inspired by the 1984 set 6080.

  • Set number: 10305
  • Name: King’s Queen's Lion Knights' Castle
  • Piece count: 4514
  • Release date: August 8 2022 (August 3 for VIP's)
  • Availability: probably LEGO exclusive
  • Price: 349.99 399.99 Euro
  • Size (closed up): W = 44.5 cm, H = 38 cm
  • Nr. of minifigures: 21 (Queen, Majisto, 9 Lion knights, 3 Black Falcon knights, 2 Forestmen, a young female forest ranger, maid, farmer, baker, boy) + 1 skeleton
  • Animals: tan horse with Black Falcons barding, dark orange horse with Lion Knights barding, dark tan cow, white lamb
  • Accessories: A variety of swords, axes, maces, lances, bows and shields, various helmets and breastplates, as well as a trumpet, a lute, a drum and several flags.
  • LEGO Designers: Mike Psiaki & Milan Madge

    LEGO-10305-Ritterburg-Vorschau-2-03.jpg
    *castle seen in the DeLorean commercial is only a prototype version of the castle

    Official images:
    lego-10305-ritterburg-01.jpg
    lego-10305-ritterburg-03.jpg
    lego-10305-ritterburg-02.jpg
Edited by R0Sch
updates, official pics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome. Only problem is, I am also interested in the rumored $470 HP set, $530 SW set, $630 Eiffel Tower, $210 Sanctum Sanctorum, $500 Marvel set... and the list goes on. LEGO will have some hard passes from fans who are interested in all these themes but just can't afford so many large sets in a short time, or perhaps at all even over a long period of time. I wish they'd spread these out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, R0Sch said:

the LEGO 90th anniversary set will be a Castle set.

A nice message (if true), but I feel that a 90th anniversary set should be a mix of multiple classic themes (Castle, Pirates, Space, etc.), this feels rather wrong.

 

(I do like the idea of getting a new medieval castle, though.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a day 1 purchase for me.  I hope they have a good mix of civilian medieval folk to enjoy a dinner/tournament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

Awesome. Only problem is, I am also interested in the rumored $470 HP set, $530 SW set, $630 Eiffel Tower, $210 Sanctum Sanctorum, $500 Marvel set... and the list goes on. LEGO will have some hard passes from fans who are interested in all these themes but just can't afford so many large sets in a short time, or perhaps at all even over a long period of time. I wish they'd spread these out.

Same here, I am interested in the UCS DeLorean... The amount of large/expensive sets being produced is incredible. No wonder their sales are so good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Jack Sassy said:

A nice message (if true), but I feel that a 90th anniversary set should be a mix of multiple classic themes (Castle, Pirates, Space, etc.), this feels rather wrong.

Sorry you feel this way, but it was clear from the beginning when LEGO did the poll, that the anniversary set will focus on one theme only. I prefer one proper set over multiple mini-builds like they did with 40290: 60 Years of the LEGO Brick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, INTENSS said:

This is a day 1 purchase for me.  I hope they have a good mix of civilian medieval folk to enjoy a dinner/tournament.

I hope the sets include some civilian figs and a lot of animals. I will not be happy with 1 horse (the Santa set had 4 reindeers after all) in this set and it has never been some many farm animals in production as this yeaqr so I hope they take advantage of that :wink:

I have not been so hyped for a set since B-bay, so I hope it will live up to my exaptations like that set :moar:

1 minute ago, R0Sch said:

I prefer one proper set over multiple mini-builds like they did with 40290: 60 Years of the LEGO Brick.

Definitely :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can hear the cluck of chickens already, emerging from a village scene incorporated into the lower castle walls :excited:

I agree that the farm animals will be too convenient to omit, and if the rumoured price is accurate then there's no reason to see things like that being missed out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

Sorry you feel this way, but it was clear from the beginning when LEGO did the poll, that the anniversary set will focus on one theme only. I prefer one proper set over multiple mini-builds like they did with 40290: 60 Years of the LEGO Brick.

I suppose so. Just feels like this way they would be ignoring rest of those great themes and praising only one, not really fair. :cry_sad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

For me a castle set would be the logical choice if you take a clear look at the poll. The castle theme is absurdly divided in all those subthemes, so the top 3 is a misrepresantiation of the underlying vote. Although space also had a couple subthemes.

When I think back at my childhood in the 80's 3 iconic sets come to mind: 6074, 6285 and 6080. Since the first 2 already got a rerelease, a set based on the 6080 seems very plausible. Lego doesn't need a poll to know which set was the most popular at the time. In this regard I can see the 6080 lonely at the top and bionicle not even the same realm. But then again I'm not completely neutral since the 6080 was the only one I really wanted as a child but never got. I got the 6073 and 6074 and at the end of the 80's the 6085 and 6285. When you where a kid back then the 6285 Barracuda was in a class of it's own, the UCS Millenium Falcon of it's day, with a price point of almost 100 euro (+/- 3500 Belgian francs if my memory is correct). My year's savings I spent with great pleasure on this one :) But the barracuda recently got it's re-release so I root for a reboot of the 6080. Although any proper castle set would be welcomed by the lego community in my opinion.

Edited by BrickDuvel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rumour of the 90th anniversary set being Castle rings true. Not only is Promobricks a reliable source but also it being Castle would explain why Ideas keeps rejecting castle projects.

I wonder if the set will include a goat.

My greatest concern is the price (£350 - ouuuch!) and the space required (where am I going to put it?).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AmperZand said:

The rumour of the 90th anniversary set being Castle rings true. Not only is Promobricks a reliable source but also it being Castle would explain why Ideas keeps rejecting castle projects.

I wonder if the set will include a goat.

My greatest concern is the price (£350 - ouuuch!) and the space required (where am I going to put it?).

I really hope it includes TWO goats. 

My assumption on the size is that it will be built up to be a lot taller, probably looking like it's on some kind of mountain with a "river" on one side. Something like Ninjago City Gardens wide. OR it may be something similar to the rebrickable I've seen (and built, which is a GREAT build) https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-80329/mocscout/medieval-fortress-31120-medieval-castle-alternative/#details 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds promising! A $350 price point is leaps and bounds above any other Castle-themed set from years gone by, and could very well make this "the ultimate castle" as far as minifig-scale sets are concerned. I can't help but feel hopeful that it'll include some of the features I've long wanted to see in a Castle set such as a royal bedchamber, banquet hall, kitchen, and perhaps even a stable for horses!

The rumored set name suggests Lion Knight branding, and given that this is tailored to AFOLs (and it's been years since the 2013-style Lion Knights appeared in sets), I suspect LEGO will take this opportunity to introduce 80s-inspired Lion Knight minifigs in line with the Black Falcon/Eagle Knight minifigs from the Medieval Blacksmith and 3-in-1 Medieval Castle.

Ideally, I'd love for this set to be designed in modular segments of some kind that can be re-arranged or added to. After all, even if fewer people will buy multiples of a $350 castle like this one than of a typical $100 castle, modular connections are a great source of inspiration for MOCs that add features absent from the original set. Plus, if this sells well enough, it could hypothetically even get follow-up "expansion sets" like Ninjago City did!

I would also love if it ends up having nice curvy towers instead of angular ones like we're used to seeing in more kid-targeted castles. Make no mistake, angular tower designs can be gorgeous in their own right, and they're just as historically accurate as round ones, but personally I'm a sucker for builds with curved shapes, and a build at this level could potentially even make use of more complex SNOTted curves like we saw from Löwenstein Castle.

Anyway, I'm gonna try and curtail any further speculative ramblings for right now, but I'm very eager to see how this set turns out, and considering the amazing designs of sets like Barracuda Bay or the Medieval Blacksmith, I have lots of confidence that the LEGO design team will deliver something truly awe-inspiring!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow this is great news. Until now I've never spend more than 200€ on a single set and a castle for 350€ is way beyond what I can actually afford, but damn... I really hope more details will follow soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrickDuvel said:

For me a castle set would be the logical choice if you take a clear look at the poll. The castle theme is absurdly divided in all those subthemes, so the top 3 is a misrepresantiation of the underlying vote.


The counter argument is that the Castle fans got 3 votes to spread around those different Castle sub-themes, whereas Bionicle supporters were limited to just 1 selection and then had to pick something else or nothing at all.

So for me it didn’t then make sense to combine all of the Castle subtheme votes and present it as a top 4.

Anyway, I think they’ve adequately apologised for not thinking it through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

A nice message (if true), but I feel that a 90th anniversary set should be a mix of multiple classic themes (Castle, Pirates, Space, etc.), this feels rather wrong.

 

(I do like the idea of getting a new medieval castle, though.)

its from promobricks its true

3 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

I suppose so. Just feels like this way they would be ignoring rest of those great themes and praising only one, not really fair. :cry_sad:

To be honest there will probably be other nods to other themes if not possible sets only time will tell.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zoth33 said:

its from promobricks its true

Yet it is a rumour, Promobricks can also make mistakes (just like anyone else). I will think of it as a rumour until I see official pictures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Very nice surprise indeed :) 

 

First of all, I hope that the reference castle (the original one) would not be the main inspiration (plane square walls with gatehouse for 350 USD???). I would like to see:

1) Various torsos for knights (some with original lion emblem, some with chainmail or scale mail and some with full armour)

2) more horses in various colours (please black and white one) and at least one barding?

3) scale that fits (at least approximatelly) to the Ideas Blacksmith Workshop

4) some civilians and other non-warrior characters (King? Queen? Stable man?)

5) animals such as all-time prised GOATS :)

6) Interior details and enclosed design (please)...

 

Fingers crossed :)

Edited by Blazej_Holen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jack Sassy said:

Yet it is a rumour, Promobricks can also make mistakes (just like anyone else). I will think of it as a rumour until I see official pictures.

If it is coming out in August then they will be producing it soon so there would be knowledge of it around already.  And it being the 90th anniversary set it will probably not have leaked photo's till around the end of July or August.  So in that case you will be waiting quite awhile for pics.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

If it is coming out in August then they will be producing it soon so there would be knowledge of it around already.  And it being the 90th anniversary set it will probably not have leaked photo's till around the end of July or August.  So in that case you will be waiting quite awhile for pics. 

Indeed. Truth be told, I am not that excited about this set (as I stated before about it including only one theme), I am yet to decide whether I will buy it or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Ideally, I'd love for this set to be designed in modular segments of some kind that can be re-arranged or added to. After all, even if fewer people will buy multiples of a $350 castle like this one than of a typical $100 castle, modular connections are a great source of inspiration for MOCs that add features absent from the original set. Plus, if this sells well enough, it could hypothetically even get follow-up "expansion sets" like Ninjago City did!

Through my giddiness after hearing the new of this set I never even thought about the possibility that high sales could drive future version ala Ninjago City.  I’ll try to temper my enthusiasm a bit but for a long time Castle fan, this is amazing news.  It’ll be the highest priced set I’ve ever purchased and I’ll probably get more than one.  Bricks & Pieces is going to get buried when they release this one.

5 hours ago, Roebuck said:

I hope the sets include some civilian figs and a lot of animals. I will not be happy with 1 horse (the Santa set had 4 reindeers after all) in this set and it has never been some many farm animals in production as this yeaqr so I hope they take advantage of that :wink:

I have not been so hyped for a set since B-bay, so I hope it will live up to my exaptations like that set :moar:

Definitely :thumbup:

After the CMF bard was released with those coins, my confidence in the 90th anniversary set being a feast and celebration of multiple factions grew.I can see this set having 20 plus mini figures with multiple factions in it.  If you use the Mos Eisley and Daily Bugle sets as benchmarks, t they have 21 and 25 figures, respectively for $350 and $300.  Those are licensed themes as well, and the cantina even has a large animal mold.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Lego knocks this out of the park with about 20 minifigs, a few horses, and animals.  We’ll probably see a few old friends (factions) return in this set. I can’t help but expect to see a few civilians in it too which would be icing on the cake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.