10 hours ago, Yoggington said:

Well, I finished my build. I don't know what people were complaining about with the female knights. Looks good to me.

3zooYIh.png

should have made the castle pink

7 minutes ago, Poco Lypso said:

No, should definitely be yellow.

2 hours ago, WhiteFang said:

Took me a full day to build this and it was a very pleasant building experience. So glad my wife had taken part in the building process and it helped greatly by speeding things up and completed the built within a day. :wub:

2 hours ago, Khargeust said:

Thank you both for the pictures & link.

4 hours ago, Poco Lypso said:

4 hours ago, Sir Dano said:

No, should definitely be yellow.

Ooh. Would a spare pieces version look as good as a spare pieces UCS Millennium Falcon, I wonder? No, probably not. But colourful pillars might be cool. The Rainbow Knights Castle, with a new leader installed?

8827-9.jpg?201112010533

@WhiteFang I want to the see the rest of the display (i see forestmen in the adjoining display) also what is the building on the the left edge of the shelf that you put the Castle on?

Here is a comparison pic from Jaysbrickblog

LEGO-Castles-Comparison-1978-to-2022-1400x574.jpg

Edited by natesroom

I genuinely don't understand the "it's too small" complaints when it's literally bigger than any other Castle set Lego has made.

But anyways, FedEx tracking says my castle is already out for delivery, I'm like a kid at Christmas, waiting for 6am so I can get up and open presents.

3 hours ago, natesroom said:

@WhiteFang I want to the see the rest of the display (i see forestmen in the adjoining display) also what is the building on the the left edge of the shelf that you put the Castle on?

As per your request, which I have just taken from my room. :sweet: 

Hope you enjoy the other Classic Castle related items including the new addition of the Forestmen Hideout. I wonder how many of them did you spot? 

52274759964_4500b968be_o_d.jpg

WhiteFang, what is happening in Black Falcons Fortress with the Guarded Inn? There's a lot more detail than BFF had, and I want to know what it is!

5 minutes ago, dimc said:

WhiteFang, what is happening in Black Falcons Fortress with the Guarded Inn? There's a lot more detail than BFF had, and I want to know what it is!

Err, it is just Black Falcon Fortress and Guarded Inn combined at the side (as per the original design). I added some Market Stall from Indy set (Ambush in Cairo) and a 6044 King's Carriage. 

2 minutes ago, WhiteFang said:

Err, it is just Black Falcon Fortress and Guarded Inn combined at the side (as per the original design). I added some Market Stall from Indy set (Ambush in Cairo) and a 6044 King's Carriage. 

Ah gotcha, I dig it. I have a MOC'd version of Guarded Inn attached to Armor Shop and Blacksmith, which I am hoping I can find a way to attach to the eventual Lion Knights Castle. I love the idea of a little town around the outside of the main castle walls, with a lower wall around the town. Those grey panels with windows make for wonderful low walls.

Just now, dimc said:

Ah gotcha, I dig it. I have a MOC'd version of Guarded Inn attached to Armor Shop and Blacksmith, which I am hoping I can find a way to attach to the eventual Lion Knights Castle. I love the idea of a little town around the outside of the main castle walls, with a lower wall around the town. Those grey panels with windows make for wonderful low walls.

Brilliant. I didn’t buy those older addon and I am sure these are worthy additions  Black Falcon fortress has a special place in my heart and considering it was re-released in 2000 previously as Legends. Now, the new Lion Knight castle has made many more of castle fans excited again. Lots of fun to revisit my classic collection. 

Just now, WhiteFang said:

Brilliant. I didn’t buy those older addon and I am sure these are worthy additions  Black Falcon fortress has a special place in my heart and considering it was re-released in 2000 previously as Legends. Now, the new Lion Knight castle has made many more of castle fans excited again. Lots of fun to revisit my classic collection. 

I lucked out getting much of them in hauls, though I am still missing the original Armor Shop flag and the blacksmith's unique brown cape/apron. I have plans to make a stable as well, but my current display doesn't have space so it'll have to wait. I have some parts from BFF but I'm missing quite a lot, so I've basically repurposed what I have into castle MOCs. I am quite excited for this to be the mainstay of the future castle display! No idea where I'll put King's Mountain or Black Monarch's castles, but I am certain I will find something!

49 minutes ago, Sir Dano said:

I genuinely don't understand the "it's too small" complaints when it's literally bigger than any other Castle set Lego has made.

For me, it's a combination of three things.

I've been doing Playmobil for the past few years, so my perspective is a bit off. My smallest Playmobil sets dwarf this one. That's not a fair comparison, but it's on my mind.

Second, I'm used to sets where the baseplates and larger pieces build things that are pretty comparable to this set in size. I've only built the first book so far, so I could be wrong, but it appears to me that this set is about 1.5 times the size of Eldorado Fortress (a set I'm more familiar with).

Third, the minifigure and horse selection seem a lot more impressive in Black Knight's Castle. There were more knights that were completely decked out on horseback.

This doesn't mean I don't like the new set. It's great. It's just different. I'm curious now to buy a Black Knigh's Castle and compare the two. I think I prefer the old style of building larger structures with fewer details and fewer parts. To me, it's all about the structure and the minifigures.

10305 is a great set. I don't know if it's fair to compare it to anything from the past because it's just different.

6 minutes ago, jodawill said:

I've been doing Playmobil for the past few years, so my perspective is a bit off. My smallest Playmobil sets dwarf this one. That's not a fair comparison, but it's on my mind.

Just can't take you or anybody else seriously when they try to compare lego to playmobil. :wacko:

Second, I'm used to sets where the baseplates and larger pieces build things that are pretty comparable to this set in size.

I doubt that very much.

Third, the minifigure and horse selection seem a lot more impressive in Black Knight's Castle. There were more knights that were completely decked out on horseback.

It has less horses, yes, but it also has a cow. 10305 actually has 3 fully decked out knights when you give the second knight his helmet, 6096 only has 2.

Baseplates are 25x25cm, or 38x38 for the larger grey ones.

Closed, this castle is already 49x33cm, my largest official set was Enchanted Island with 2 32 stud baseplates, 1 raised , which would be 50x25 cm so would pretty much fit into that area.

The largest castle baseplate was 48x32 studs , 38x25cm (Royal Knight Castle)  , folded open, 10305 reaches 70cm.

Not to mention the height, then the overall volume is much much larger to any official Castle/Pirate Island.

Railways / Space Monorails have had large areas but rails aren't a good comparison imo (and the topic of price is another topic entirely)

I'm not saying baseplates are bad , not at all, they helped a lot in making big areas of land, or big raised areas to build on.

I do agree for such a big set, another horse would've been nice, but LEGO picked the ox cart instead, the V shaped cart and farmer minifig clearly inspired by 1974-3: Smuggler's Hayride design.

More frequent minifig horses, including the return of the Black, White and Brown horses would be very welcome, at minimum, the return of horses/saddles to the new Pick a Brick. (not everyone has old / big collections already)

Edited by TeriXeri

Got to have that classic Black sword though.. i got 2 one from the set and one from a Goodwill find that i could tell had parts of the set.

3847a.png

2 minutes ago, natesroom said:

Got to have that classic Black sword though.. i got 2 one from the set and one from a Goodwill find that i could tell had parts of the set.

3847a.png

What I really want are the original Black Falcons and Lion Knights flags, and then I can have a proper Black Falcon leader with the black horse, black saddle, Falcons flag, black helmet, black feather, and black sword!

I sold my Black Falcon flags and shields - $30 a flag and $5 a shield was too much for me to pass up.  I have replaced them with translucent vinyl stickers that I had professionally printed.

I know someone will ask, so here's an SVG that should have the correct scaling, just save as, export it as a PDF, and print it (I used carstickers).

Spoiler

stickers.svg

38 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Closed, this castle is already 49x33cm, my largest official set was Enchanted Island with 2 32 stud baseplates, 1 raised , which would be 50x25 cm so would pretty much fit into that area.

The largest castle baseplate was 48x32 studs , 38x25cm (Royal Knight Castle)  , folded open, 10305 reaches 70cm.

Not to mention the height, then the overall volume is much much larger to any official Castle/Pirate Island.

Railways / Space Monorails have had large areas but rails aren't a good comparison imo (and the topic of price is another topic entirely)

I'm not saying baseplates are bad , not at all, they helped a lot in making big areas of land, or big raised areas to build on.

I do agree for such a big set, another horse would've been nice, but LEGO picked the ox cart instead, the V shaped cart and farmer minifig clearly inspired by 1974-3: Smuggler's Hayride design.

More frequent minifig horses, including the return of the Black, White and Brown horses would be very welcome, at minimum, the return of horses/saddles to the new Pick a Brick. (not everyone has old / big collections already)

i hate large baseplates... 16x16 is the largest I pick.

Just now, Poco Lypso said:

i hate large baseplates... 16x16 is the largest I pick.

I don't use them now, I was mainly comparing to a past time of LEGO where they made up large bulk of a set.

1 hour ago, Sir Dano said:

Just can't take you or anybody else seriously when they try to compare lego to playmobil. :wacko:

I know, it doesn't make a lot of sense to compare them. They don't compare in terms of building capabilities - just the general idea of medieval themed toys (a space in which there aren't really any other serious contenders). I'm not really comparing them. I'm just adjusting to going back to the smaller Lego scale.

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

I guess I'm wrong then. That means this set is more than 2.5 times the area of Eldorado Fortress when closed. I'm anxious to build the second book and see it in person. Also, the towers in the second book are taller than the first one, so I think seeing only the first part built gives me a false impression of how large it will be when I'm done.

They make a huge difference in perception. Try to picture some of the old sets without their baseplates. Sheriff's Lock-Up and Bandit's Secret Hideout would have looked like a complete joke if you just set those buildings out on the table. The baseplates complete them. 10305 did the best job I've seen at obtaining a similar feeling without using baseplates. I remember Helm's Deep was a major disappointment for me after I built it and saw how small it was. It would have benefited greatly from a baseplate. It would have felt much more complete.

Yes, the ox cart is great. Something I love about this set is that it feels like they took an entire wave of castle sets and put them all into one package. I would have gladly paid $10 for that ox cart and farmer. The forestmen's hideaways throughout the set also give the feeling of getting a couple bonus sets added in. It will be even better when I just have all of the parts from this set sitting in a tub and I can actually build out separate forestmen sets. I would also like to modify the ox cart to have a place for the forestmen to hide in, just like the original.

I feel like I've been overly negative in my comments in the past day. I'm just incredibly tired right now.

In case anybody's keeping track to try to gauge when their own sets might show up, my order (placed in the U.S. on the day the set was released) arrived today. Won't be building it yet since it's a gift for my sister and her wife when they visit in a week or so.

I did open up the outer cardboard package to see the set box and verify what was in there, and was impressed with how well it was packed—the Lego set occupied most of the space of the box and the ends of the box had corrugated reinforcement to prevent damage to the set. I understand that that probably can't be done for every set since smaller sets tend to be packed and shipped together variably depending on orders, but for a set as premium as this I'm glad the extra effort was spared to ensure it arrived at its destination in good condition.

Mine arrived too. (Canadian east coast)

Trying to pace myself so I don't build it all in one sitting, only built the first bag so far.

Edited by Sir Dano