Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Triceron said:

Since people are talking about the quills, does anyone know why they retired the classic Plumes?  I think these are the best looking ones of the bunch, and they seem to still make and release the smaller ones.  I'm not sure why they replaced these ones with the new 'Flame' piece instead of having both.

I would venture a guess that they retired that one in favor of one that could be a single mold doubling for flames and plumes. Also there is a 6 year gap between the last time the old plume was used and the new plume / flame piece appearing. They may have simply decided to 86 the mold in those 6 years. 

Edit: It looks like 2003 was the last year for all the classic plume pieces accept the quill / single feather piece. Maybe it was more a case were they saved that one because it had more versatility than the others. 

Edited by Archer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Archer said:

I would venture a guess that they retired that one in favor of one that could be a single mold doubling for flames and plumes. Also there is a 6 year gap between the last time the old plume was used and the new plume / flame piece appearing. They may have simply decided to 86 the mold in those 6 years. 

Edit: It looks like 2003 was the last year for all the classic plume pieces accept the quill / single feather piece. Maybe it was more a case were they saved that one because it had more versatility than the others. 

I mean, that makes sense if it's a case of them not finding any other use for it outside of Castle, which they've pretty much retired.  If they're just using the new flame as new plumes, then they don't need to keep the old one around at all.

Still, I think it is the better looking plume.  I mean they even made a custom mold for Road Runner's hair, and that's not being used anywhere else.  I just think it's a bit of a lost opportunity not to bring it back since this new Castle set is perfect for it, especially since they're bringing back the classic Visor helms.  I find the Flame plumes to not look as good with the classic style helmets; my personal opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DaleDVM said:

I don't think the two models look too far out of proportion.  In the photo the blacksmith shop is a little closer to the camera than the tallest parts of the castle as well.  

I think they are way out of proportion. A lego castle would be just waaay to expensive if done with the right proportions.Scale has always been a problem with lego

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

IDEAS 21325: Medieval Blacksmith always was oversized to any other Castle set, including 10305, I don't think other Castle sets should be scaled to that.

 

(2002) 3739: Blacksmith Shop or (2009) 10193: Medieval Market Village come closer to a good scale for a medieval townhouse next to 10305.

Purely talking from a set perspective, not MOCs or Mods.

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to see some of the other older sets redone to match the new style of this set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, natesroom said:

I would love to see some of the other older sets redone to match the new style of this set.

Agreed. Heck, some of Kingdoms theme felt like a retread of 80's castle, and it was awesome. I recently saw a build on Instagram where someone redid the original blacksmith set with the red chimney using modern parts and techniques with more detail, and it was glorious.

That's not to say that completely new sets aren't desired, but the occasional update of a classic is a for sure winner as long as it's done well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, natesroom said:

I would love to see some of the other older sets redone to match the new style of this set.

There is still this rumor.  Altho it would be a new set not a remake -

Brick Clicker youtube video mentions Wooden Duck? (Chinese media outlet) says we are getting a second castle set this year!  Something about forest men attacking a castle?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SirBlake said:

I recently saw a build on Instagram where someone redid the original blacksmith set with the red chimney using modern parts and techniques with more detail, and it was glorious.

Can you post a picture of it? I have most of the original (minus that damn unique brown cape) in my little medieval area now, and I'd love to see another modern series of the "wall" sets like that, Armor Shop, and Guarded Inn. Anything that works around a standard wall design would make for amazing medieval town scenes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got my bullet helmets today. I can understand now why they were retired. It looks like the mold was wearing out when they created these in 2002. They're very shiny and not well textured. It's a bit of a disappointment, but I suppose I won't notice when I'm not inspecting them close up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BTappel said:

There is still this rumor.  Altho it would be a new set not a remake -

Brick Clicker youtube video mentions Wooden Duck? (Chinese media outlet) says we are getting a second castle set this year!  Something about forest men attacking a castle?!

So that rumor wasn't talking about the Forest Hideout GWP?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Triceron said:

So that rumor wasn't talking about the Forest Hideout GWP?

They made a reference to that old catalogue photo of all those forestmen charging a castle.  The pic is in the video.  Didn’t sound like a hideout but who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, dimc said:

Can you post a picture of it? I have most of the original (minus that damn unique brown cape) in my little medieval area now, and I'd love to see another modern series of the "wall" sets like that, Armor Shop, and Guarded Inn. Anything that works around a standard wall design would make for amazing medieval town scenes.

Let’s see if this works…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfMOAECLwgr/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SirBlake said:

Let’s see if this works…

That's a real cool build!

Man, that's super recent too since it's using the new flag from the Lion Knight's Castle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Triceron said:

That's a real cool build!

Man, that's super recent too since it's using the new flag from the Lion Knight's Castle.

Yeah, I have to imagine that’s photoshopped in, I guess. I also thought it was smart that they interpreted the old yellow blacksmith as being shirtless, lol. Makes more sense that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, BTappel said:

They made a reference to that old catalogue photo of all those forestmen charging a castle.  The pic is in the video.  Didn’t sound like a hideout but who knows.

So I did a bit of digging.  The closest report (in English) I could find was this:

https://www.brickfanatics.com/second-lego-castle-rumoured-90th-anniversary/

LEGO fan website Wooden Duck has now hinted at a potential third 90th anniversary set for 2022, again based on a Classic Castle subtheme. In a recent post, the Chinese outlet teased the mysterious model with a catalogue spread of Forestmen sets, implying it’ll take inspiration from the late ‘80s run of castles, fortresses and hideouts built around vast trees.

LEGO-Castle-Forestmen-90th-anniversary-c

And in this picture, we actually do see the Forestmen's Hideout.

 

But I'll take another Forestman set if that's what it's hinting at, haha.  Hell, I'll even take just having the new Forestman torsos on PAB!  I'll make my own army :D

Edited by Triceron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, natesroom said:

im following this guy

Yeah, some good stuff there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2022 at 6:04 AM, Black Monarch 88 said:

Anyone else notice the tan plume\feather in the bedroom as a quill? That should bring down the price of that piece quite a bit. 

Isn't it white, just in the shadows? It has not been made in tan, but has in dark tan for Radagast  and PotC Angelica.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Triceron said:

So I did a bit of digging.

 

That’s the one!  Altho out of all those sets I want the 6 minifig pack the most 

Edited by Darkdragon
please don't quote pictures

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My son and I find this little scene very funny:

legs.png.0453808616b524209f9cee34b074b11a.png

His little legs sticking out of that narrow opening.

I love those scenes in the old leaflets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BTappel said:

That’s the one!  Altho out of all those sets I want the 6 minifig pack the most 

I was very lucky to have that one as a kid.  It was my first real personal pick of Lego, and my favourite as a kid.  Even back then, I never mixed and matched any of the parts, and I still have them configured in the same way on the box!

5 hours ago, leafan said:

My son and I find this little scene very funny:

 

His little legs sticking out of that narrow opening.

I love those scenes in the old leaflets.

 I love how they use the top half of torso's for little dudes in the water.

Edited by Darkdragon
please don't quote pictures

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to be the killjoy but it's likely that Wooden Duck is referencing the GWP rather than a set we don't know about. The article was published on May 14, around the same time we found out about it, and the original hideout itself is in the picture they're calling a "clue." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Triceron said:

 

LEGO fan website Wooden Duck has now hinted at a potential third 90th anniversary set for 2022, again based on a Classic Castle subtheme

Set #1: 10305 (This wallet-breaking castle)

Set #2 10497 (Galaxy Explorer remake)

Set #3 40567 (Forestmen Hideout)

I would be delighted to be wrong, but there isn't going to be a third castle that would cannibalize sales of 10305.  Gone are the days when Wolfpack Tower, King's Mountain Fortress, Forestmen's River Fortress AND Black Knights Castle were all available at the same time.

Personally, I would be thrilled to have a Guarded Inn remake with modern techniques.  I found a few, but none that capture the charm of that set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, iragm said:

Set #1: 10305 (This wallet-breaking castle)

Set #2 10497 (Galaxy Explorer remake)

Set #3 40567 (Forestmen Hideout)

I would be delighted to be wrong, but there isn't going to be a third castle that would cannibalize sales of 10305.  Gone are the days when Wolfpack Tower, King's Mountain Fortress, Forestmen's River Fortress AND Black Knights Castle were all available at the same time.

Personally, I would be thrilled to have a Guarded Inn remake with modern techniques.  I found a few, but none that capture the charm of that set.

Yeah, I’d say next year is the earliest we’ll be getting any Castle-y stuff again.  They’ve done good by us lately with the Vikings ship, Castle, and Forest Hideout as well as the 3 in 1 and Blacksmith still on the shelves. I really like your idea of the Guarded Inn being redone…that was my favorite set until the MVV was released.  Good stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.