Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Triceron said:

Half of me wants this, half of me wishes it doesn't happen if only to spare my wallet.

Same here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Same here

Not me man. I spent the last decade wishing I could throw my wallet at TLG. Bring it on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SirBlake said:

Not me man. I spent the last decade wishing I could throw my wallet at TLG. Bring it on. 

Lol, only if i see the full offical image of the castle and it looks so darn good. I would scream “Just take my darn money, don’t ask!”. But at same time, I would feel pity toward my wallet. 

Ah well. Like you said, bring it on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GeoBrick said:

My high hopes are it won't stop with this Anniversary Castle, but merely a hint of things to come later in 2023 and onwards.

Considering the last proper castle wave was 2010/2011 I'd say it's about high time. But perhaps Lego is waiting for the LOTR license.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, brimbolet said:

Considering the last proper castle wave was 2010/2011 I'd say it's about high time. But perhaps Lego is waiting for the LOTR license.

1: I doubt it. Based on the previous half-hearted LotR effort (not a single Gondor soldier? Really?), I don’t expect that was a big success. Though I did personally buy 95% of Hobbit/LotR stuff, and I quite liked it. 
 

2: the time to announce that has likely past, since Avatar 2 releases two and a half months after the Amazon series and we’re already hearing about that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, brimbolet said:

Considering the last proper castle wave was 2010/2011 I'd say it's about high time. But perhaps Lego is waiting for the LOTR license.

That's kind of dangerous.  I feel like Amazon can only hurt the franchise more than help it.  It's gonna be like Star Wars Sequel Trilogy levels of underwhelming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SirBlake said:

1: I doubt it. Based on the previous half-hearted LotR effort (not a single Gondor soldier? Really?), I don’t expect that was a big success

I would not say there was anything half-hearted about the line, but it did not sell enough to kids and there was a lot fewer AFOLs at the time so the lifespan was cut short. Had it got one more year of set I am sure Gondor would have popped up as well and I think the sets would have done a lot better today if it came out now instead.
However personally I prefer non licensed Castle and Pirates sets, but most of the LOTR/Hobbit sets were good I think :pir-classic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I remember LOTR sets were quite popular where I live, though they were on the more expensive side. The Helms Deep battlepack was often sold out. Hobbit sets on the other hand disappeared rather quickly.

The Amazon series is coming in fall/winter so there's still plenty of time left for a Lego wave starting in 2023. After all there are no City or Star Wars rumors for the next year.

Lego sure knows how to keep secrets this time, we still haven't seen any minifig leaks for the 90th anniversary set so I really hope we'll get something Castle related before the 100th anniversary.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Triceron said:

That's kind of dangerous.  I feel like Amazon can only hurt the franchise more than help it.  It's gonna be like Star Wars Sequel Trilogy levels of underwhelming.

LOTR is getting woke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Roebuck said:

I would not say there was anything half-hearted about the line, but it did not sell enough to kids and there was a lot fewer AFOLs at the time so the lifespan was cut short. Had it got one more year of set I am sure Gondor would have popped up as well and I think the sets would have done a lot better today if it came out now instead.
However personally I prefer non licensed Castle and Pirates sets, but most of the LOTR/Hobbit sets were good I think :pir-classic:

Maybe a different term would be more agreeable to you, but for my part, any LotR series that somehow manages to skip Nazgûl on fell beast, Mumakil, and an entire culture that is the centerpiece of the third film, it qualifies as half-hearted.

Like I said, I got most of the line and I like what I did get, but it was sorely hurting for more of the story to be represented. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SirBlake said:

Maybe a different term would be more agreeable to you, but for my part, any LotR series that somehow manages to skip Nazgûl on fell beast, Mumakil, and an entire culture that is the centerpiece of the third film, it qualifies as half-hearted.

Like I said, I got most of the line and I like what I did get, but it was sorely hurting for more of the story to be represented. 

I am sure if it had gotten the planned 3 year run all those would be released, but I understand it left the fan-base frustrated over missing out on such important scenes.
Maybe Lego will release new sets in the future, just look at how well HP are doing now, one of the reasons they brought it back was because it was the most asked for theme not in sale in Lego stores etc so start asking for it :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

I am sure if it had gotten the planned 3 year run all those would be released, but I understand it left the fan-base frustrated over missing out on such important scenes.

Certainly, but I'm judging it on what we got, rather than what we could've gotten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The issue I see with it is that the new Rings of Power series is a TV show on a streaming service, which limits its potential audience compared to the films that were general release at the cinema. In the end it could well be that the same number of people actually watch it, but do these things get the same media coverage as films? Game of Thrones did, but are there many more? Maybe that reduces the marketing appeal on sets of the TV series somewhat. Stranger Things got one set, not a wave. Partly that might be because of the limited number of things they could do, but could well be because of a perceived lack of audience?

Then there's the fact that the new Rings of Power show isn't the same as LOTR. There's a few overlaps in characters, but it's a totally different story, at a completely different time. So the things that people will be familiar with from the mainstream books and movies won't feature. Does that also limit it's appeal for LEGO to produce sets for it? New Line are seemingly involved in some way, so maybe they could do old and new sets combined, like they're doing with Avatar.

But in general, I think I'd prefer them to do a few cool castle things, rather than half-hearted LOTR sets. The lack of licensing also suggests better value for money on the castle sets, and there has been enough pent up demand for castle stuff that it will hopefully be wildly successful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SirBlake said:

Not me man. I spent the last decade wishing I could throw my wallet at TLG. Bring it on. 

That would be me as well.  Bring it on.  My wallet grew fat over the last 8-9 years and my LEGO spending was minimal.  The LEGO store owners were wondering what happened to me. 

Except for the insane amount of money I spent on minifigs last year (because I just couldn't wait for a castle offering any longer).  My yearly budget for LEGO has far exceeded anything I desired to buy.  Slowly... the blacksmith, creator castle, and now the ultimate castle set!  I will be spending for the foreseeable future on castle.  Also... I shall catch up on purchasing my modular buildings so that each one will get me a free forestman hideout.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same. It's been 10 years since a castle theme. I am more than ready to throw money at TLG. The demand is high for me. I am hopeful this is just the tip of the iceberg, and we will see a full theme soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if the forestman hideout is available for purchases online, in LEGO stores, or both?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DaleDVM said:

Does anyone know if the forestman hideout is available for purchases online, in LEGO stores, or both?

Normally such GWP's are both online and in LEGO stores.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DaleDVM said:

Does anyone know if the forestman hideout is available for purchases online, in LEGO stores, or both?

It's a Gift with Purchase only for in-store or online purchases of over ~$160 (threshold depending on your location).  You won't be able to buy the set directly.  They may appear on the after market, but you can expect them to be in high demand.

Edited by Triceron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Triceron said:

...but you can expect them to be in high demand.

I predict $50 within a month, $100 after two years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Shroffy123 said:

On ebay they are selling for $100 plus.

As always with ebay, 'selling' does not mean the same thing as 'being sold' :bonaparte:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yoggington said:

As always with ebay, 'selling' does not mean the same thing as 'being sold' :bonaparte:

Sold listings are from $77 to $129

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sir Dano said:

Sold listings are from $77 to $129

But that is also pre-release, so there are very few available and those people who will happily pay extra for getting something first/early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I shall then be traveling to a couple of LEGO stores on the 15th as I drive my way to Brickworld.  I expect I will have 4 of the hideouts before the day is done.  I am so excited.  The hype for the Lion Castle continues...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.