Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Honestly I would have no problems with some panels or BURP supporting the model.

BURP variants especially have been used to good effect in many recent sets and then often covered up with rock detail unlike the old days where they would be mostly exposed.

Pieces like this I would not mind in a big set, as long as they are used well, sparingly and integrated :

4537056.jpg4223716.jpg6008715.jpg6273864.jpg

Then there are parts like this which become borderline oversimplified, I know they got a certain shape that would otherwise not really possible but the part would be a lot more obvious due to the size and depth.

6005319.jpg6005935.jpg6351385.jpg6351382.jpg

 

That said, the new Super Mario Peach Castle roof half cone actually does look quite amazing due to it's 3d texturing, could be integrated into a textured tower for sure (the rest of the peach castle isn't really a good example as it's a playset with open towers)

71408-1.jpg?202111160405

I’m confident those Peach’s Castle pieces will be showing up in the 90th anniversary set.  Might even stick with the same color if it’s the Lion Castle as rumored.

No worries from me on the 3 in 1 thing, this will be a Creator Expert set.  I’m cautiously optimistic that we’ll see a bunch of new medieval figs which will make the online Pick a Brick site crash when those elements become available.  Long time Castle fans are hungry for that stuff.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I hope, and expect, it will be a Creator Expert set, with all the complexities and detail that entails, it would be cool if it were a 2 or 3 in 1 like Barracuda Bay. No reason they could do some official alt builds. That would be very much part of the idea of LEGO, so fitting for the anniversary. Although it would mean the revision to buy two, or three... :oh3:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

While I hope, and expect, it will be a Creator Expert set, with all the complexities and detail that entails, it would be cool if it were a 2 or 3 in 1 like Barracuda Bay. No reason they could do some official alt builds. That would be very much part of the idea of LEGO, so fitting for the anniversary. Although it would mean the revision to buy two, or three... :oh3:

I would be hard to pull of at least in the same way as B-bay and Lego has more or less stooped including alternative models to their sets except in 3 in 1 sets and no chance we are getting that ( especially with the 3 in 1 Castle set we got last year). I think I prefer they include 1 fantastic model instead of 3 that need to make compromises. Say we get one lion castle, one village and one forestman hide out in the set, the parts needed to build those 3 do not overlap 100% so compromises would have been made to all 3 :sceptic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

larger pieces can be hit or miss. its ok for me if they are well hidden like ugpy rock pieces, temple of airjitzu for example. but those wall elements take away a lot of detail and are easy noticable. more fitting for smaller sets where the piece count is limited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jodawill said:

Any idea on when they might reveal this set?

I believe its usually around the beginning of summer when we start seeing leaked images?  One video I watched said the official announcement would be in May, but I doubt we will get any photos then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BTappel said:

I believe its usually around the beginning of summer when we start seeing leaked images?  One video I watched said the official announcement would be in May, but I doubt we will get any photos then.

Yup. Every opinion that I trust is suggesting it'll be July before we get pics. A leak before that is certainly a possibility, but there's really no telling with leaks. The only reason I have Instagram is to cruise the legoleaks hashtag, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed. I don't think we got official pictures of 3 in 1 creator castle set until a month of so before release. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Shroffy123 said:

Agreed. I don't think we got official pictures of 3 in 1 creator castle set until a month of so before release. 

Fixed it for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Follows Closely said:

Fixed it for you.

Shroffy123 meant the 31120 (3-in-1 Castle) pictures , which appeared about at the start of May 2021 with a June 2021 release.

3-4 weeks before release seems to be the average time for good pictures to appear, January 2022 set pictures appeared mostly right at the start of December.

LEGO's 50th anniversary was at 13 August 1982, so 90th anniversary being 13 August 2022. 

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

LEGO's 50th anniversary was at 13 August 1982, so 90th anniversary being 13 August 2022. 

I thought it was the 10th of august, not that that means much in this case :shrug_oh_well:
Lego could easily keep this under wraps as long as they want until august, however what is giving me hope we will see it sooner is the fact that it is a price in a ideas competition that I believe ends/announce the winner i may :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I think July sounds about right for us to see offical image of Lion King’s Castle and then it will be released in August. 

May may or June not stand a chance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2022 at 7:58 PM, Alexandrina said:

I wonder if people expecting the set to be made primarily of standard bricks will be in for a surprise. After all, for all Knights Kingdom got derided for large prefabricated pieces, they've been a hallmark of Castle since the early days. Other than the original castle, the major sets have always included wall panels, BURPs and LURPs, crenellated roof pieces, raised baseplates and other such parts.

Surely it would be more of a departure from the theme if none of these were present in the set. I'm personally expecting some rock pieces as the minimum.

I think at the rumored price, there's plenty of room for the set to include BURPs or castle wall panels without them dominating the build or overshadowing the set's more creative and complex details.

Even the Temple of Airjitzu used BURPs as part of its foundation, and a number of AFOL sites still ranked it one of the best sets of that year from any theme. For that matter, it's not as though Pirates of Barracuda Bay was criticized for using prefab ship hull elements that have been the norm for the Pirates theme since its debut!

BURPs tend to be one of the most efficient ways of building up mountainous or hilly terrain, even if other parts are used over top to add textural detail. Building that sort of terrain with basic bricks requires thicker cliff faces to achieve that same level of stability, which both drives up the cost and eats into the amount of interior space "below ground" that can be used for caves, dungeons, cellars, cisterns, etc.

On 4/5/2022 at 1:46 AM, Roebuck said:

I would be hard to pull of at least in the same way as B-bay and Lego has more or less stooped including alternative models to their sets except in 3 in 1 sets and no chance we are getting that ( especially with the 3 in 1 Castle set we got last year).

Would it really be that hard, though? I mean, Barracuda Bay's alternate build mostly involved just connecting the large segments differently and moving around some of the smaller details. And since the late 90s, most big LEGO castle sets (even "premium" sets like the Kingdoms Joust) have had a fairly modular build with segments that could be freely re-arranged. Even ads and catalog listings for Castle sets of the 80s often advertised how their hinged walls allowed you to play with and display them in two different ways — either as a fully enclosed rectangular castle, or as a long defensive wall with an open back.

So I don't think it'd be too far-fetched for this castle to provide instructions for two possible display options using the same modular segments, And at the rumored price point, there may be even more variation possible between those display options — such as having either one long curtain wall like traditional motte-and-bailey castles, or two concentric curtain walls like later castles.

Edited by Aanchir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

So I don't think it'd be too far-fetched for this castle to provide instructions for two possible display options using the same modular segments, And at the rumored price point, there may be even more variation possible between those display options — such as having either one long curtain wall like traditional motte-and-bailey castles, or two concentric curtain walls like later castles.


While I agree there’s plenty of room for that kind of modularity, that’s a far cry from a 3-in-1. I’m sure I don’t need to define for you the nature of the 3-in-1 builds, but suffice it to say, some modularity and/or display options is not that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

"classic" castles , especially from the falcon/crusader era certainly were known for technic pins or hinges, so seeing some of that here would certainly be nice.

As for actual 3-in-1.

LEGO have proven they CAN hide colors inside some models very well:

  • 3-in-1 Pirate ship, the red/green interior isn't just for starboard/portside building help, but also are used as vegetation/building in the alternates.
  • 3-in-1 Shuttle has a lot of very well hidden yellow inside for the alternate moon lander.

Still, for a 90th anniversary castle, I'd rather see a focus on a main model only, and then do hinges/modules, instead of hiding weird colors inside for the sake of alternate builds.

Now, Castle has been either using a lot of greys, or black as main colors of their builds, even while LEGO could probably do some form of 2-in-1 castle which has either a grey or a black exterior with different "factions" intentions.

Even if black walls could certainly be hidden/used as interior walls, or a black castle could be situated on a grey cliff, I still don't think it's that good of an idea to force it to be 2-in-1 or 3-in-1.

While 31120 alternate builds are quite nice, and quite clearly the B and C models aren't really standalone Castles, especially C model is an expansion section ,  I don't think a €300+ set should follow the same idea.

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SirBlake said:

While I agree there’s plenty of room for that kind of modularity, that’s a far cry from a 3-in-1. I’m sure I don’t need to define for you the nature of the 3-in-1 builds, but suffice it to say, some modularity and/or display options is not that.  

Oh, yeah, I agree. I was referring to something more along the lines of Barracuda Bay's two display options. I may have misunderstood the point @Roebuck was trying to make in the post I quoted — apologies if so. :blush:

Edited by Aanchir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I think at the rumored price, there's plenty of room for the set to include BURPs or castle wall panels without them dominating the build or overshadowing the set's more creative and complex details.

Even the Temple of Airjitzu used BURPs as part of its foundation, and a number of AFOL sites still ranked it one of the best sets of that year from any theme. For that matter, it's not as though Pirates of Barracuda Bay was criticized for using prefab ship hull elements that have been the norm for the Pirates theme since its debut!

BURPs tend to be one of the most efficient ways of building up mountainous or hilly terrain, even if other parts are used over top to add textural detail. Building that sort of terrain with basic bricks requires thicker cliff faces to achieve that same level of stability, which both drives up the cost and eats into the amount of interior space "below ground" that can be used for caves, dungeons, cellars, cisterns, etc.

Agree BURP aren't even directly visible in 71722: Skull Sorcerer's Dungeons or 71717: Journey to the Skull Dungeons , yet add some extra hollow space to play/hide things.

Also the recent 2022 City Moon base uses 2 corner BURP to form the back of the moon cave/garage.

Covering up BURP kind of might sound like it defeats the purpose of saving parts, but in a big budget set, a lot of repeated parts like rock slopes shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a new Harry Potter set that has a carriage in it. I think it would be great for Lion King’s Castle!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

There is a new Harry Potter set that has a carriage in it. I think it would be great for Lion King’s Castle!

The carriage itself is nothing special. Obly interesting parts are thestrals and minifigs :) But I agree, thise parts (wheels) are most welcome ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2022 at 2:17 AM, TeriXeri said:

Covering up BURP kind of might sound like it defeats the purpose of saving parts, but in a big budget set, a lot of repeated parts like rock slopes shouldn't be a problem.

I've always seen BURPs as a way of building bulk quickly while also giving you stability to have play-room beneath the rock. For all they get maligned, I'd imagine people would like it less if every set with a BURP in it had instead devoted twenty or thirty bricks to building the rock, at the cost of as many pieces elsewhere in the build. How could Rocky River Retreat, for instance, be made at the same pricepoint without BURPs?

Of course, I'm a bit of a BURP-gremlin :pir_tong2: so I'd be happy with twenty or thirty BURPs - I suspect most here would blanche at that amount!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s all about how they’re used. See the early 90’s for many half-hearted examples of BURPs and LURPs used poorly. That’s is how they got their names, after all. Properly camouflaged, they’re fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Alexandrina said:

I've always seen BURPs as a way of building bulk quickly while also giving you stability to have play-room beneath the rock. For all they get maligned, I'd imagine people would like it less if every set with a BURP in it had instead devoted twenty or thirty bricks to building the rock, at the cost of as many pieces elsewhere in the build. How could Rocky River Retreat, for instance, be made at the same pricepoint without BURPs?

Of course, I'm a bit of a BURP-gremlin :pir_tong2: so I'd be happy with twenty or thirty BURPs - I suspect most here would blanche at that amount!

Yes Stability for Cave like builds or platforms can certainly be greatly increased via Burps.

I loved them back then, and still do, early castle sets that didn't use raised baseplates greatly benefit from them.

Old Castle sets didn't have a lot of small pieces , but the burps and panels still allowed varied builds.

Recently there was a Brickset article about the Wolfpack Tower set and alternate builds.

I felt the same way with the Royal Drawbridge set I had, with a similar design and use of Burps to form the cellar/cave/prison of the main build.

https://brickset.com/article/74078/6075-wolfpack-tower-showcasing-what-can-be-done-with-one-classic-lego-set

I don't mind burps at all, but I imagine AFOL would expect BURP to have some more detail via extra slopes in a €300+ set. 

Of course 3-in-1 Castle also kinda showed that rocks can be made with a mix of smaller panels and slopes, but BURP would still allow a good start for a cave/cliff with good stability in a much bigger build.

Biggest benefit for BURP beside stability would be the fact they allow hollow interior space that would not be possible with regular bricks. Perfect for hiding some treasure or hollow rock/cave/trees/prison type of spaces.

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I loved them back then, and still do, early castle sets that didn't use raised baseplates greatly benefit from them

And here's the optimist in me hoping for the triumphant return of the raised baseplate :pir-laugh: Now that would be something worthy of the anniversary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I felt the same way with the Royal Drawbridge set I had, with a similar design and use of Burps to form the cellar/cave/prison of the main build.

Excellent example! I feel this is one of the sets that made perfect use of the larger BURP pieces without violating the integrity of the set as a whole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.