2 hours ago, iL01 said:

thanks for the advice:) 

As I said above, here is my update

That looks great. Changing the colour of the new roof to match the old ones is a marked improvement over the one you linked.

Edited by Sir Dano

Just saw that theres a 5x VIP promo on for a few sets including hogwarts express, 1:8 ferrari and the panther bust. Makes me think those sets are having a tough time selling - but the castle is *not* included. I choose to believe that means the castles been selling good!

On 11/14/2022 at 9:15 PM, woodford86 said:

Just saw that theres a 5x VIP promo on for a few sets including hogwarts express, 1:8 ferrari and the panther bust. Makes me think those sets are having a tough time selling - but the castle is *not* included. I choose to believe that means the castles been selling good!

Got an email a while back that said here are our bestselling sets and 10305 was the first one listed.  Pretty sure it’s doing well.  People just freaked out because it didn’t go out of stock immediately.  Maybe they are just doing a better job of keeping things available which is a good thing.

4 hours ago, Black Feather said:

Got an email a while back that said here are our bestselling sets and 10305 was the first one listed.  Pretty sure it’s doing well.  People just freaked out because it didn’t go out of stock immediately.  Maybe they are just doing a better job of keeping things available which is a good thing.

I don't think it would be selling poorly, but I personally wouldn't put stock in a marketing email designed to say "hey everyone is buying this, why don't you buy it too."

I mean the Black Panther set and Hulkbuster are both listed alongside the Adidas shoe as Bestsellers on the Aussie Lego site right now.

Are there any good promos happening at LEGO stores soon so I can buy multiples of the castle with either max VIP points or giveaways?

2 hours ago, iragm said:

None of those really do it for me, so I'm holding out for the Blacktron GWP next year to buy a second castle.

What GWP?

On 11/14/2022 at 5:31 PM, iL01 said:

thanks for the advice:) 

As I said above, here is my update

Lovely work! The throne room looks very nice (the large windows seem like a bit of a defensive liability compared to how heavily fortified the rest of the castle is, but they WOULD be practical for letting in a lot of light). The workshop for Majisto is a great use of the additional basement space. I know that "court magicians" were more of a renaissance thing than a medieval thing in real life, but I'm still fond of them as a concept. And especially since the designers went ahead and included Majisto in the set in the first place, I feel we owe it to him to give him a workspace! The "sword in the stone" is also a fun little detail that adds nice variety to the exterior.

The large tile roof nicely echoes motifs from the set very nicely while employing them in a very different sort of context. And the ballista is REALLY cool way to add some artillery while still emphasizing uniqueness and complexity (compared to the wall-mounted catapults typical of KFOL-oriented Castle sets).

Do you plan on eventually ordering the parts to build this in real life? If you do, I hope you'll share pictures of the result! Also, out of curiosity, does the tower with the ballista on it have any fun interior details of its own? Regardless, these pics alone show what a great job you did with this extension!

4 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Lovely work! The throne room looks very nice (the large windows seem like a bit of a defensive liability compared to how heavily fortified the rest of the castle is, but they WOULD be practical for letting in a lot of light). The workshop for Majisto is a great use of the additional basement space. I know that "court magicians" were more of a renaissance thing than a medieval thing in real life, but I'm still fond of them as a concept. And especially since the designers went ahead and included Majisto in the set in the first place, I feel we owe it to him to give him a workspace! The "sword in the stone" is also a fun little detail that adds nice variety to the exterior.

The large tile roof nicely echoes motifs from the set very nicely while employing them in a very different sort of context. And the ballista is REALLY cool way to add some artillery while still emphasizing uniqueness and complexity (compared to the wall-mounted catapults typical of KFOL-oriented Castle sets).

Do you plan on eventually ordering the parts to build this in real life? If you do, I hope you'll share pictures of the result! Also, out of curiosity, does the tower with the ballista on it have any fun interior details of its own? Regardless, these pics alone show what a great job you did with this extension!

800x600.png

-You can unlink this feature from the main castle and observe better

-the tower with the ballista has three floors: second - used as acces to the different sides(right - big doors to the throne room with back door for personal(You see here backside of this door), left - stairs to the mage room and forward - the ladder to the 3 floor). 3 floor is the big platform like combat feature. Here you have big arsenal with weapons and ammunition. that's why here You have blacksmith to repaire it and create new weapons. Also under stairs in dungeon there is wine room

-in treasure I changed the chest to the custom king size chest and add mountains of coins(you can't see here it)

-ballista is the cool way to add some artillery as You mentioned. Also it's a way to kill the dragon:) Like in Hobbit film

-also original castle has 2 places for forestmens. I tried to join it in one place. Now it's like catacomb(stock and homee part) with secret access and with room for hostages. You can't see it in this picture

-in right part of the picture(near prison doors) You don't see arches. That's because this pieces are missing in bricklink studio and I dont't know how to fix it.

-I shared bricksafe link to my project above. If You want You can download it and open in bricklink studio to view better.

-I plan to order additional parts but for now it's difficult for my country... 

Edited by iL01

21 hours ago, natesroom said:

i didnt say whats a GWP i asked "What GWP" i havent seen any announcement for a Blacktron GWP

And the link provided is specific to the Blacktron offering, pointing to the different news sources covering it. 

3 hours ago, SirBlake said:

And the link provided is specific to the Blacktron offering, pointing to the different news sources covering it. 

Yes i watched the video and they show the old set, so not sure if this GWP makes or break purchasing a 400 set.

Finally bit the bullet & purchased the Lion Knight's Castle with the VIP double point promo & got the two eligible GWP's plus the Dragon Ride.  Now to impatiently await their arrival hopefully within a week but probably not if past year Black Friday shipping is anything to go by.  Seems the earlier I order the longer it takes for it to actually leave the warehouse.

*Update*  I just received shipping notice from Lego that my order has shipped.  Doubtful since it's the weekend.  Waiting to be able to check tracking info which could be up to 24 hours or more.

Edited by karrit

I also bit at double points and the two GWP sets.  That will be two castles. 

Now, I will await a similarly good sale for my third, fourth, etc.  

I had viking torsos in my cart Friday and forgot to get them.  Now they are out of stock...   ugh...

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a Castle on 2xVIP day.

And right after, I found a great deal on Facebook Mktplce for it + Blacksmith for about $50 (CAD) more.  I think I'm gonna grab the used Castle and keep the order boxed for resale later on, Lego doesn't seem to take store returns on orders larger than $250.

Edited by Triceron

On 11/17/2022 at 8:21 PM, iL01 said:

-You can unlink this feature from the main castle and observe better

-the tower with the ballista has three floors: second - used as acces to the different sides(right - big doors to the throne room with back door for personal(You see here backside of this door), left - stairs to the mage room and forward - the ladder to the 3 floor). 3 floor is the big platform like combat feature. Here you have big arsenal with weapons and ammunition. that's why here You have blacksmith to repaire it and create new weapons. Also under stairs in dungeon there is wine room

-in treasure I changed the chest to the custom king size chest and add mountains of coins(you can't see here it)

-ballista is the cool way to add some artillery as You mentioned. Also it's a way to kill the dragon:) Like in Hobbit film

-also original castle has 2 places for forestmens. I tried to join it in one place. Now it's like catacomb(stock and homee part) with secret access and with room for hostages. You can't see it in this picture

-in right part of the picture(near prison doors) You don't see arches. That's because this pieces are missing in bricklink studio and I dont't know how to fix it.

-I shared bricksafe link to my project above. If You want You can download it and open in bricklink studio to view better.

-I plan to order additional parts but for now it's difficult for my country... 

Brilliant! Thank you so much for sharing more pictures! You've done a phenomenal job through and through!

Edited by Aanchir

So I was checking up this youtuber, and one of the guys mentions something interesting about the Castle faction logo copyrights.  They just touch on why they changed the logos, but don't really go in deep about why they couldn't use the originals.

@ 03:25

Just wondering if anyone here would have any more insight into this.  I thought it was an interesting tidbit.

I like watching those guys. It's rare to find people that think about this stuff as in-depth as we do here.

Based on that clip, I think they did a good job summing up. They have dozens and dozens of countries to protect the copyright in, and weren't vigilant in doing so, so they could run into legal issues using new product with old graphics that they didn't work to protect over the years. One thing worth noting, but Brick Monarch would probably be in a good position to know this stuff, since he produces things like stickers and wall-mount shields with past heraldry artwork on it. This copyright abandonment issue might explain how he's able to get away with that. But I'm no copyright lawyer, so I don't know. Pretty sure he's done stuff with the newest version of the Black Falcons heraldry on it. Maybe his shop just isn't big enough to get the ban hammer from TLG lawyers?

7 hours ago, SirBlake said:

.. They have dozens and dozens of countries to protect the copyright in, and weren't vigilant in doing so, so they could run into legal issues using new product with old graphics that they didn't work to protect over the years. One thing worth noting, but Brick Monarch would probably be in a good position to know this stuff, since he produces things like stickers and wall-mount shields with past heraldry artwork on it. This copyright abandonment issue might explain how he's able to get away with that. But I'm no copyright lawyer, so I don't know. Pretty sure he's done stuff with the newest version of the Black Falcons heraldry on it. Maybe his shop just isn't big enough to get the ban hammer from TLG lawyers?

I suppose it is quite simple: They did not extend their legal protection of the old logos. Now everyone can use them legally. If TLG would use them in a new product, they would have a lot more legal freeloaders on their logos -- which would decrease their profits. So they are better off introducing a new logo that they have legal protection on, giving TLG the ban hammer for.

Just still seems odd to me since they were still using the original Rampant Lion logo in 2019 for the new shield

18836pb03.png

That and the Forestmen logo kept pretty closely to the original design, to the point where I wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference.  I was just wondering why they wouldn't just use something very similar to the original design even if the copyrights went out, as I kind of doubt they went out of their way to copyright the new stuff just for the one-off Castle set.

I don't mind the new design at all, I just found it curious they went out of their way to update it so drastically.